[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5049 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto

29 Psychological Tricks and Tactics Used to Make People Buy More

Came across this visual guide on r/coolguides

Seems pretty well thought out and accurate.

Curious if anyone has anything else to add, or what the best examples of these tactics are in the Canadian economy.

Last edited by shikotee on Apr 28th, 2020 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
12 replies
Jul 28, 2017
228 posts
596 upvotes
Your image is too small to read.

However, I imagine one of the 29 "tricks" isn't to "make a great product that's durable, efficient and affordable."

Right?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5049 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
Retrodude wrote: Your image is too small to read.

However, I imagine one of the 29 "tricks" isn't to "make a great product that's durable, efficient and affordable."

Right?
I just noticed that too.
The PIC I uploaded allows you to zoom in and read, but RFD seems to downgrade the image and make it unreadable when you zoom.

Ended up having to upload the image elsewhere, and have embedded in OP.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2694 posts
1789 upvotes
Good list but you need

#30 use fear. Look at how many insurance ads are popping these days as population is in a state of fear.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3417 posts
1203 upvotes
Woodbridge
I love that Denmark law - you can't advertise a "before" price unless you've sold it at that price in the past two weeks.

I wonder if anyone tries to get around that... for example, I sell one unit at a higher price to my cousin and then I can label the markdown.

This reminds me of TJ Maxx "compare at" prices. Who are they comparing to?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
The grocery stores usually have upbeat pop/dance music - Tones & I "Dance Monkey", Lizzo "Good as Hell" before corona. Now they have switched to slower and more mellow tunes, no doubt so that they don't energize customers into a state of agitation. I find it harder to get the hell out of the store now that the beat isn't driving. Dollarama still rockin out tho. Grab your plastic and get out!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2694 posts
1789 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: I love that Denmark law - you can't advertise a "before" price unless you've sold it at that price in the past two weeks.

I wonder if anyone tries to get around that... for example, I sell one unit at a higher price to my cousin and then I can label the markdown.

This reminds me of TJ Maxx "compare at" prices. Who are they comparing to?
Similar price gauging law already exists here. Amazon was slapped with a laughable 1 million fine for breaking just that.

https://business.financialpost.com/news ... on-website
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5049 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
I always just assumed that using the comma for $1, 000 was just an old timey thing that was phased out.
But yeah - when comparing $1,000 to $1000, the non comma version seems less intimidating.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9111 posts
2725 upvotes
London
shikotee wrote: I always just assumed that using the comma for $1, 000 was just an old timey thing that was phased out.
But yeah - when comparing $1,000 to $1000, the non comma version seems less intimidating.
I find this one odd... the comma breaks the amount into two smaller amounts in my mind.
Nov 3, 2008
82 posts
118 upvotes
The "sense of urgency" always makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure it's more urgent for them to sell their depreciating asset than it is for me to part with my cash Smiling Face With Sunglasses

I'm surprised they didn't mention the "I'll have to speak to the manager" tactic, or the related "I'm not supposed to do this, but for you I'll break the rules" tactic.

My reverse tactic is never telling a pushy salesperson my name no matter how many tricks they try to use to get it out of me. It drives them nuts Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
I have been watching a bag for 8 weeks and it has been "Only 13 left!" the whole time. Starting to wonder if this is just a graphic element or they really can't move these bags. Not at that price, anyway.
Jan 8, 2015
819 posts
514 upvotes
I avoid Ikea because of their stupid maze tactic. Drives me nuts how they try to trap me inside.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1022 posts
518 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nice list. I don't feel I am necessarily lured by some of these, especially the way price is displayed. Don't know if I am lying to myself or not. I have never considered myself the average buyer. I don't buy things based on "deal" as much as my personal need of it.

That said, the salesperson can really make a difference. Usually one that can talk on the same wavelength as me would get my sale, but the one I am most ashamed of is when the sales lady got me to buy a pair of Kenneth Cole dress shoes for $300...and they actually fell apart on me on the first month of use. I felt so ashamed that I was duped by the sales lady and her feminine wiles that I just threw those shoes out. A $300 lesson is how I saw that.