• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2015 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 19, 2015
1 posts
Kahnawake, QC

2k budget, what car?

Hello, i'm in need of a new car. Something old, something cheap.
The problem is that I don't know cars, i'm not a car guy.
Can someone recommend me a few trustworthy models ? Something that's built well, that will last me a few more years?

Budget : 2-3K
4 door car
Any year
Any milleage

Many many thanks!
9 replies
Mar 10, 2006
189 posts
49 upvotes
Vaughan
freeman45 wrote: Hello, i'm in need of a new car. Something old, something cheap.
The problem is that I don't know cars, i'm not a car guy.
Can someone recommend me a few trustworthy models ? Something that's built well, that will last me a few more years?

Budget : 2-3K

4 door car
Any year
Any milleage

Many many thanks!
I have a 2003 Honda civic lx 195k. Since new. Eating oil though, not many repairs. I would say this would be a good buy for about 1.5k. Good on gas, low maintenance. If I were to sell it today I would ask 1.5k and it still drives and runs like a champ. Easily 4-5 years of life left in it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
So many options my friend. Civic , corolla are pretty standard. You can get a deal on a Saturn (not pretty to look at but will get you through). A late model sentra or maxima is nice too. What is better for you is to determine if you need something fuel efficient (like sentra or corolla or Honda) or something that has a bit of a power in it (like maxima and late model accords etc)
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
Toyota echo /thread
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
2000-ish civic or acura EL, owned the latter for 15-ish years, sold mine a year ago for $2K via a private sale, 220,000+km on the ODO
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
233 upvotes
Quebec
z613 wrote: Toyota echo /thread
Not a /thread, an Echo is not a good choice if you need a highway cruiser.

Back to the question, in general you look for 4-cylinder sedans with the best overall condition, and have a mechanic inspect any vehicle you're interested in before purchase. Don't get too hung up on particular makes or models. A tidy Chevrolet Cobalt or Impala is better than a million-mile ratty old Civic. A Sentra or Elantra will be cheaper than a Corolla of similar vintage. Look for orphan makes (Saturn, Pontiac). And again, buy on condition and get an inspection before buying!
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
He's looking for a 2k car. Echo fits the bill. I have one and love it as my highway commuter. You see them everywhere.

bertvl wrote: Not a /thread, an Echo is not a good choice if you need a highway cruiser.

Back to the question, in general you look for 4-cylinder sedans with the best overall condition, and have a mechanic inspect any vehicle you're interested in before purchase. Don't get too hung up on particular makes or models. A tidy Chevrolet Cobalt or Impala is better than a million-mile ratty old Civic. A Sentra or Elantra will be cheaper than a Corolla of similar vintage. Look for orphan makes (Saturn, Pontiac). And again, buy on condition and get an inspection before buying!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)