Students

2nd degree in CS? bootcamp? ux design?

[OP]
Dec 13, 2013
9 posts
4 upvotes

2nd degree in CS? bootcamp? ux design?

So I graduated from UofT with a science degree. I have CS and math minors, but my major is not related (and not something I want to pursue further)

My work history is all customer service and I have no desire of working directly with the general public ever again. I was planning to apply to nursing school, but after covid, I realized that if I did, I'll probably burn out and leave the field. I loved the job I had before, good pension but shit pay. The way the employer just dropped us the moment covid happened, I realized how worthless we are to them. The next time a disaster hits, I know it will happen again. I was fortunate enough to have a place to stay

I want to work in IT and I think I have the aptitude for it. Now I don't know where to go from here. My grades in the last two years are garbage (online university was not for me), so I probably cant get into SFU's 2nd degree in CS program or Concordia's graduate diploma.

The options I'm looking at right now are...
2nd degree CS from TRU or CIS from Athabasca - at least 2 years
Coding Bootcamp - 12 weeks
Humber college's UX design program (which has an internship component at the end) - 1 yr program including internship..

I want something that can help me get a well-paying career (like 50k starting) and offers reasonable job security?

I know people trash bootcamps but I thought having some CS formal education (plus a completed degree) might work in my favor?

which of these options do you think will pay off the most?

TIA!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1041 posts
123 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!