2nd floor ceiling into attic

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 6:39 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2002
516 posts
53 upvotes

2nd floor ceiling into attic

Has anyone done this before in their house?

Raising the 2nd floor ceiling taking up the attic space? Currently I'm in a farmhouse style roof and was thinking about doing this for our 2nd floor renovation we're doing...

Wondering if anyone has done this, their thoughts and how much of an additional cost this might be vs. regular framing (renovating the whole house)
2 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1785 posts
1111 upvotes
How big is the existing attic space and how big do you want it? I used to own a house that was built in 1950. Single level raised bungalow with a large attic. The previous owner installed dormers and heightened the roof height and made the attic into a large, finished master bedroom.

This job was done in probably early 1980s, I actually spoke to one of the neighbors that helped out with the job. I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't done with codes/permits. After living there for a few years, the basement was old so I ripped all the old paneling down and found the main support beam of the house to have a 6" deflection in the middle. Also, all of the interior walls of the house had pushed themselves into the floor about 2". I ended up replacing the main beam with a LVL, but I ended up selling it before addressing the wall issues. The house was in rough shape overall and would need significant amount of money to address it properly.

If you plan on doing it, do it to code, with proper engineers drawings. It won't be cheap, or quick, but it might give you additional living space without moving.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2002
516 posts
53 upvotes
Oh for sure would be getting drawings.

I'm asking as I originally had intended to do a main floor renovation and addition, however increasing the scope to include the 2nd floor now.

With that said I'm not looking to make the attic into living space, instead just have vaulted or cathedral ceiling instead of the current 9 foot ceilings I have.

I was just curious if anyone has done this, my 2nd floor is about 1000 sq feet.