• Jun 5th, 2019 9:53 am
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
46 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough

2nd floor laundry room bad design?

Hi,

We viewed a one year old townhome that we really liked, the only thing that I wasn't a fan of was the laundry room on the second floor. I get the convenience but my first thought was the noise/vibration. We thought the idea of possibly moving it in the basement however the mechanical room space was not meant to fit therefore would require a major redesign...
Anyway we almost made a fair offer but after time thinking thru it I started considering what if a leak or worst flood, and then I noticed there was not a drain pipe in the tiled floor but instead there's an HVAC vent in the floor is it me or is this just a really bad design and asking for major water damage?
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9077 posts
6397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sounds like it was a DIY installation vs professional.

I believe in Ontario the code states that a washer on the 2nd floor requires either to be seated in a well / pan to contain leaks, or in a room with a central drain.

https://images.app.goo.gl/nEgpT8od1gUCrCQT6

If none of those are in place, I would be worrying about costs to modify / fix
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11255 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
I'm just thinking very basic and it'll be a pita to replace the machines/moving/etc.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1052 posts
871 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 12:30 am
I'm just thinking very basic and it'll be a pita to replace the machines/moving/etc.
How would it be any different than moving/replacing if it was in basement? Other than sequence of moving old machines up or down a floor first, there is no difference
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jun 3rd, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1118 posts
624 upvotes
Etobicoke
and the same thinking would mean that there should not be bathrooms, toilets, showers, or plumbing anywhere except for the basements...cause they might leak.

I have a washer /dryer on the second floor, very handy cause that is where the clothes are, not in the basement.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11255 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
StatsGuy wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 12:40 am
How would it be any different than moving/replacing if it was in basement? Other sequence of moving old machines up or down a floor first, there is no difference
Sure, but that's why I'm into bungalows, everything all on one floor.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2283 posts
598 upvotes
If you’re worried, just get a pan and a wireless water sensor.

And I’m pretty sure that my wife would kill for a second floor laundry instead of having to lug everything down two floors to the basement.
Nov 14, 2017
40 posts
17 upvotes
Have had a 2nd floor washer / dryer for years now. No leaks but we do have a water sensor that turns off the taps if leak is detected on the floor. Absolutely convenience to do laundry. Nothing like grab freshly done laundry right after finishing shower for example.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2881 posts
462 upvotes
I have mine on second floor. Sometimes the entire house vibrates. Other then that no problems
May 12, 2009
760 posts
320 upvotes
We have a second floor laundry room. We run the washer almost every day, no problem with vibration or sound. With the amount of laundry we do, I can't image having to lug baskets up two flights of stairs all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9422 posts
1134 upvotes
We have it on the second floor, LOVE it and no vibrations.

However, we did experience leaking because the washer is broken but it was not major at all. But we are always home when we run the washer/dryer so we caught it.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1526 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
We have our laundry in the basement (against my best judgement). If I had to do it all again I would push harder for moving it to the 2nd floor. Regardless, the next house I buy, that will be on my checklist.
Aug 18, 2014
578 posts
361 upvotes
Markham, ON
I am going to assume OP is not the one that do the laundry...

2nd floor laundry is super convenient, since that's where all your dirty laundry are
hauling laundry from 2nd floor to basement everytime is super inconvenient

Most washer/dryer aren't that noisy.
I'd make sure there is proper drainage in case of leak tho (usually there should be a drain where the washer/dryer are)
Feb 19, 2019
103 posts
67 upvotes
Stouffville ON
anthonyvl7101084 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi,
We viewed a one year old townhome that we really liked, the only thing that I wasn't a fan of was the laundry room on the second floor. I get the convenience but my first thought was the noise/vibration. We thought the idea of possibly moving it in the basement however the mechanical room space was not meant to fit therefore would require a major redesign...

Anyway we almost made a fair offer but after time thinking thru it I started considering what if a leak or worst flood, and then I noticed there was not a drain pipe in the tiled floor but instead there's an HVAC vent in the floor is it me or is this just a really bad design and asking for major water damage?
Laundry on the second floor is not only very convenient but a selling feature, by moving it to the basement not only will cost you quite a bit of money but also the house value decreases. If noise is the problem it usually is caused by the unit not installed properly (not level for example), and if it still bothers you some sound proofing can be installed in the laundry room, or just do the laundry when noise is not a problem. Water leak can be caused by toilets, showers and tubs, yet nobody is planning to move all that to the basement.

I personally have had laundry on the second floor for many years and wouldn’t want to have it any other way
Full Service / Rebate Realtor.