Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2017

2TB 2.5" internal hard drive for PS4 Pro, any deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2017 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2465 posts
581 upvotes
Belle River

2TB 2.5" internal hard drive for PS4 Pro, any deals?

Anyone know of a deal? Thanks
Last edited by hystavito on Nov 26th, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14224 posts
4362 upvotes
Montreal
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2465 posts
581 upvotes
Belle River
I forgot to mention I meant internal hdd, did you mean to break open or to use as an external?

On that subject though, I tried using 2.5" bus powered externals with my regular PS4 and they never worked right, they'd work on/off and lots of problems.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14224 posts
4362 upvotes
Montreal
hystavito wrote: I forgot to mention I meant internal hdd, did you mean to break open
Yep, the Seagates are the only major supplier that still includes SATA drives inside their portables. The rest (WD, Toshiba,. etc.) are all Frankendrives.

Buying a Seagate portable on sale is a very common method of upgrading a PS4.

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2465 posts
581 upvotes
Belle River
ChadMmm wrote: I put this one in my PS4 (1st version) this summer, same discount as prime day. 5 year warranty. No idea if the hybrid SSD storage made loading any faster, does in theory.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Firecuda- ... e+firecuda
I can't recall how long I had the tab open, but when I added it to cart it went to $125, I guess I just missed the deal.
Oct 15, 2013
755 posts
1246 upvotes
ChadMmm wrote: I put this one in my PS4 (1st version) this summer, same discount as prime day. 5 year warranty. No idea if the hybrid SSD storage made loading any faster, does in theory.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Firecuda- ... e+firecuda
Stopped video at comparison times:

My own testing on Witcher 3 reload after death (why I upgraded, it was infuriating) I reduce from 1 minute to 40 second times iirc using an SSHD. I imagine it would be a lot faster if I'd gone SSD, but high capacity cost a fortune 2 years ago.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11450 posts
2889 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I forgot to mention I meant internal hdd, did you mean to break open or to use as an external?

On that subject though, I tried using 2.5" bus powered externals with my regular PS4 and they never worked right, they'd work on/off and lots of problems.
It's the slim. It'll work. Paid $89 for it past year from Amazon. Works flawlessly in my ps4 original.

And when I tried a wd as an external, no dice. Hooked up a Seagate 3 Tb, worked instantly.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Jul 5, 2017
38 posts
9 upvotes
I used a 1TB usb powered external for awhile. You have to set the PS4 to turn off usb power when in standby or powered down to avoid any energy save features the drive may have from engaging. Had no problems with the Seagate Slim with that USB power setting. I later broke the HDD out of Seagate Slim case and installed as the PS4s internal without problem. (samsung HDD inside).

The Seagate Slim seems the best bet to get a drive to install internally on the cheap. You could try to find out the exact drive that is being used in the enclosure and search on it's compatibility with the PS4. As a bonus to doing this, you can take the original PS4 drive and install it back into the Seagate enclosure to create a smaller USB external for whatever use.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14224 posts
4362 upvotes
Montreal
ChadMmm wrote: The Seagate Slim seems the best bet to get a drive to install internally on the cheap. You could try to find out the exact drive that is being used in the enclosure and search on it's compatibility with the PS4. As a bonus to doing this, you can take the original PS4 drive and install it back into the Seagate enclosure to create a smaller USB external for whatever use.
And that's the reason I hate Frankendrives - absolutely zero flexibility.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)