Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1772 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto

3 1/2 inch driver bits....

First if i put this in the incorrect forum please move, i thought perhaps this might be the most relevant thread.

Now the question is "Driver bit sets" come up fairly often in RFD mainly in "Hot Deals".....the issue on these sets is that they seldom contain the longer 3.5 inch bits that many of us covet, they in most cases do not carry many of the 2 inch bits that are adequate, just contain a plethora of 1 inch bits which are the least coveted to drive up the bit count rather than the usefulness.

So i am needing to order up some of the 3.5 inch bits from Amazon:
Milwaukee Shockwave 3.5 inch bits, 5 bits, ~$20
Bosch Impact Tough 3.5 inch bits, 10 bits, ~$20

Per bit the Bosch is half the price per bit compared to the Milwaukee....both name brand quality tools, i tend to think the Milwaukee is a bit better however not twice the price better.

Does anyone know where i can source at a better price?

On Amazon there is not much by way of the 3.5 inch driver bits, much more selection of the Bosch.

I know it will be tougher to get some bits in the 3.5 inch so i may have to revert to 2 inch bits for some Torx or similar, however my preference is to have both some 2 inch and some 3.5 inch depending on my needs.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1772 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the link, Milwaukie is less expensive at Gescan however still more substantially more than Bosch.....don't know about shipping costs, Amazon is free shipping.

Gescan, shipping ??
MILWAUKEE TOOL #2 3-1/2 inch Milwaukee SHOCKWAVE Power Bit Phillips - $3.20 each (10 units $32)
MILWAUKEE TOOL #2 3-1/2 inch Milwaukee SHOCKWAVE Power Bit Square Recess - $3.40 each (10 units $34)

Amazon for Bosch, free shipping:
Bosch ITPH235B Impact Tough 3.5 in. Phillips #2 Power Bits - $1.82 / bit. (10 units $18)
BOSCH ITSQ235B 3.5 in. Square #2 Impact Tough Screwdriving Bit - $2.34 per bit (10 units $23)

Even with the better pricing on the Milwaukee the Shockwave is still substantially more than the Bosch, think i might just order up the Bosch seeing it is less expensive and should still be a quality bit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1772 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Decided to just go with the Bosch 3.5 inch driver bits, packs of 10 bits for between $18 to $23 depending on type (Phillip's, square, torx).

Even for the Bosch they wanted $8 to $12 for a single Bosch 3.5 inch bit....compared to the 10 pack at $18 to $23.

I understand getting a better price in bulk but the difference in price from a single to multi pack is criminal. I wasn't going to purchase 2 bits when I can get 10 bits for less money than 2, so grabbed 10 bits across the board.
Sep 12, 2017
191 posts
133 upvotes
i used to be quite keen on the 3" bits as well. But as a full time contractor the cost of them started adding up. i switched to a handful of good 2.5"-3.5" locking impact bit holders and started using up my giant supply of those 1" bits.

The Bosch bits are great. I find them hard to tell the difference between #1 and #2 sizes though the drive head is deceptive. Long lasting and like you found out in bulk they're priced well.

Lee Valley Tools has some really good Robertson brand bits at a very reasonable price. I've used them quite often, expecially to get a small order to the free shipping threshold. Not impact rated but I've used them as such for a good long time with no problems. At a $1.60ea I don't feel bad about tossing the out after using them for a few weeks. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=19J4024

CHM
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1772 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianHandyman wrote: i used to be quite keen on the 3" bits as well. But as a full time contractor the cost of them started adding up. i switched to a handful of good 2.5"-3.5" locking impact bit holders and started using up my giant supply of those 1" bits.

The Bosch bits are great. I find them hard to tell the difference between #1 and #2 sizes though the drive head is deceptive. Long lasting and like you found out in bulk they're priced well.

Lee Valley Tools has some really good Robertson brand bits at a very reasonable price. I've used them quite often, especially to get a small order to the free shipping threshold. Not impact rated but I've used them as such for a good long time with no problems. At a $1.60ea I don't feel bad about tossing the out after using them for a few weeks. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=19J4024

CHM
Nice recommend on the Robertson bits, in my opinion the Robertson bit is the best bit on the market compared to all the others like Phillips, Pozidrive, slotted, torx, square, etc. The Robertson's unique slightly tapered wall design won't cam out like all the rest, the screwdriver seats in the channel like a suction and you can torque to your hearts content. On top it is a Canadian invention, only reason for it not being mass marketed is due to WW1 and the foray into the european market. By contrast the Pozidrive made it's growth due to WWII. Boat builders and such trend to the Robertson as any slip due to camming out can cause surface damage, whereas metal manufacturing likes the posidrive as it will cam out at an acceptable torque level making manufacturing easier.

Robertsons are mostly up north here in Canada these days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1772 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered the Bosch Impact Tough 3.5 inch driver bits, 10 bits, ~$20. Individually on Amazon these were in the ~$10/each range, so made sense to buy the 10 packs as it's like buying 2 individual bits and getting 8 individual bits for free...lol.

All 3.5 inch driver bits.....
Phillip's #1, #2, #3
Square #2, #3

20220105_145931.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)