None
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24787 posts
4055 upvotes

3 blown Ford EcoBoost engines in 3 months

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/first-time ... ost2681123

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ghosts-eco ... ost2841991

It's a ton of reading, so here's the gist of it.

1. Guy buys a nice new F150 with the EcoBoost
2. His nice new engine blows up. Ford eventually replaces the engine under warranty, but with some difficulty along the way
3. The new engine in his truck blows up shortly after getting his truck back.
4. After a lot of headaches and issues Ford once again installs a new engine.
5. Once again, his engine blows up. That's 3 engines in 3 months in the same new truck.

I think it's safe to say it's nothing the owner is doing to blow those engines up. Even if he was super hard on the truck, no way he kills 3 engines that quickly, not without breaking all kinds of other things too. Besides, Ford would have found evidence of wrongdoing by him. It's probably not 3 bad engines either, that's too unlikely. It's gotta be something else in that truck that is causing the engines to self-destruct. A ford engineer is now apparently working on his truck and they hope to get it repaired right this time and get him back on the road with the same truck.

He has tried to get them to buy back the truck with no luck. They have offered a slight discount on rental cars along the way, but otherwise have not supplied him with a rental or demo vehicle. There's been a ton of other headaches along the way for him. Ford Canada has really dropped the ball on this one.

Even if that truck is fixed properly, it has no resale value and never will ever again. Perhaps he could trade it in at a dealership, but he'd never be able to sell it privately, unless he didn't disclose its history. Ford Canada really should have bought that truck back for fair market value.
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9096 posts
1314 upvotes
I guess Ford shouldn't be making turbo charged trucks. Should stick to the V8s. 3 engines blowing up in 3 months. I cry if it was me who is the owner.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
262 upvotes
Not the first time I've heard of an EcoBoost failure. Luckily for him it's under warranty. EcoBoost is really nothing more than just a marketing scheme. GM's new 5.3L V8 achieves better fuel efficiency and more power than Ford's EcoBoost.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1172 posts
179 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Thanks for that entertaining link. The EcoBoost has been a very good engine for most. It's got very impressive power. I will be buying a new truck this fall but I won't be buying one with an EcoBoost (nor likely a Ford either). The extreme temperatures alone that a gas turbine engine is required to run at day after day, year after year, means it is most unlikely to have the longevity of a traditional V8. If I leased an F-150 that might be fine but I plan to keep my new truck for a long time...
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
24787 posts
4055 upvotes
Ctrl-Z wrote: Thanks for that entertaining link. The EcoBoost has been a very good engine for most. It's got very impressive power. I will be buying a new truck this fall but I won't be buying one with an EcoBoost (nor likely a Ford either). The extreme temperatures alone that a gas turbine engine is required to run at day after day, year after year, means it is most unlikely to have the longevity of a traditional V8. If I leased an F-150 that might be fine but I plan to keep my new truck for a long time...
Me too, which is why I got the Hemi, it's a proven and reliable engine. I looked hard at the ford trucks but I just don't have a ton of faith in an engine like that in a truck.

What I put my truck through yesterday probably would have killed the EcoBoost.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3624 posts
942 upvotes
Calgary
Wow I would not even want to think myself in his shoes. If I were to buy a truck, I would rather get a Ram / 1500 anyway.
Banned
Nov 10, 2012
777 posts
81 upvotes
Hamilton
What's stupid is that they would rather waste money replacing 3 engines at a cost of probably close to 10, 000 rather than to buyback the truck, sell it for scrap and parts, and replace it with a new truck, if there is some unknown and weird problem going on with it causing it to blow engines every so often...

...Honda's and Toyota's on the road have over 500k on them, how can this poor soul blow an engine so quickly?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9096 posts
1314 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Me too, which is why I got the Hemi, it's a proven and reliable engine. I looked hard at the ford trucks but I just don't have a ton of faith in an engine like that in a truck.

+1. If I need a truck, I will end up pulling all sort of things. EcoBoost turbo will just die easily. I pick a diesel engine if I need a truck.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3624 posts
942 upvotes
Calgary
Jim321 wrote: What's stupid is that they would rather waste money replacing 3 engines at a cost of probably close to 10, 000 rather than to buyback the truck, sell it for scrap and parts, and replace it with a new truck, if there is some unknown and weird problem going on with it causing it to blow engines every so often...

...Honda's and Toyota's on the road have over 500k on them, how can this poor soul blow an engine so quickly?
This. Wow I went to that thread and that was quite a read. Unreal customer service from Ford. Just unreal
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1338 upvotes
Ctrl-Z wrote: Thanks for that entertaining link. The EcoBoost has been a very good engine for most. It's got very impressive power. I will be buying a new truck this fall but I won't be buying one with an EcoBoost (nor likely a Ford either). The extreme temperatures alone that a gas turbine engine is required to run at day after day, year after year, means it is most unlikely to have the longevity of a traditional V8. If I leased an F-150 that might be fine but I plan to keep my new truck for a long time...
Apparently.

Ford has sold about 500,000+ vehicles equipped with EcoBoost engines globally since 2009.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1172 posts
179 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
casperr wrote: This. Wow I went to that thread and that was quite a read. Unreal customer service from Ford. Just unreal
Talk about bad PR. It's amazing that Ford corporate could be that ignorant.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1172 posts
179 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Shaner wrote: Me too, which is why I got the Hemi, it's a proven and reliable engine. I looked hard at the ford trucks but I just don't have a ton of faith in an engine like that in a truck.

Would have already bought a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie - loved the features, price was good - if the payload was acceptable. It wasn't, not even close.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4306 upvotes
Wow that sucks major ballsack for the owner!

After the second engine I would've pushed them to buy it back under the lemon law.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: After the second engine I would've pushed them to buy it back under the lemon law.
What lemon law? There's no buyer protection in Canada.

I would wait for the engine to blow a 4th time, after an expert Ford mechanic had his way with the repair, proving beyond a reasonable doubt there is nothing they can do to fix the issue. Then I would sue Ford for more than the value of the vehicle, eventually settle out of court so they can cover up that the problem exists.