Home & Garden

3 Furnaces are all acting up and it's not even cold out!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 10:55 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2008
249 posts
34 upvotes

3 Furnaces are all acting up and it's not even cold out!

My secondary residence just had a new two stage gas furnace installed a month ago and it is not generating heat. The pilot light either doesn't turn on or if it turns on it will shut off right away. The fan is running and thermostat has batteries.
My main residence has all of a sudden decided to make the basement really really warm. The air current is so strong now it blew out all of my basement ceiling vent covers. It's like a Hawaiian vacation down there.
Then over at my mom's place, her furnace is making consistently fast and loud vibration noises, like a sewing machine running at full speed. It sounded like it came from the mid section of the furnace (fan belt?).

Anyone with experiences with any of the above? Much appreciated!

Tried to call the furnace installer but he hasn't picked up for 2 days. Our HVAC guy has not picked up either.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2407 posts
860 upvotes
Woodbridge
A month old furnace should not have any issues regardless of make and model. High winds can cause pressure switch malfunction if venting termination was not done properly or vent was not sloped.
Your best bet is to have your installer come back, diagnose and rectify the issue.

At your mom's place, how old is the furnace? I haven't com across belt driven fan in years( sub urban area in GTA ) . Vibration can be from blower motor , ventor motor ( if mid or high eff ) or from the blower wheel.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
[OP]
May 21, 2008
249 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions! The furnace is 16 years old. It still looks nice and clean on the inside. I will have someone look at all the motors and wheel.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2727 posts
983 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: A month old furnace should not have any issues regardless of make and model. High winds can cause pressure switch malfunction if venting termination was not done properly or vent was not sloped.
Your best bet is to have your installer come back, diagnose and rectify the issue.

At your mom's place, how old is the furnace? I haven't com across belt driven fan in years( sub urban area in GTA ) . Vibration can be from blower motor , ventor motor ( if mid or high eff ) or from the blower wheel.
I definitely agree that belt run fans are rare these days. Unfortunately, the furnace at one of my offices used one and I’m just waiting for it to poop out.

OP, for your mom’s furnace, check the tightness of the pulley on the motor out put shaft. It should be tightened to the shaft using one or two small screws. Also (from my experience), turn the pulley as well and make sure that nothing has broken off of it to cause the vibrations. For some reason, a piece of the edge of the pulley at my office broke off and made the belt keep falling off, so I had to replace the pulley.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15842 posts
4370 upvotes
Markham
When that happens to mine, I usually clean the flame sensor and it then good to go

96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
May 21, 2008
249 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks everyone.

Update: The brand new furnace had one of the drain tubes installed with a slight twist. We found it by accident and when we untangled the tube, we saw water rushing out and the furnace started working again.

We will try to clean the sensor on old furnace and report back.