Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft] 3 months Office 365 + 20GB of SkyDrive storage Free for students .edu email required

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2013 2:04 am
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls

[Microsoft] 3 months Office 365 + 20GB of SkyDrive storage Free for students .edu email required

https://www.officeforstudents.com/default.aspx

[IMG]http://www.synergyit.ca/blog/wp-content ... oogle1.png[/IMG]

Students with .edu email can use this offer for either free trail of office 365 or for 20gb skydrive

If someone is nice enough, they can post the instructions on how to get free .edu email. This email is not only good for this offer, but for Many others as well, including Amazon Student, Digital River etc.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3517 posts
1580 upvotes
'Shwallywood
isn't .edu strictly american?
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nellium wrote: isn't .edu strictly american?
yes it is. but you don't have to be american to get it :)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3517 posts
1580 upvotes
'Shwallywood
andriykoua wrote: yes it is. but you don't have to be american to get it :)
well of course you don't but that would mean one would be enrolled into an american post secondary institution
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
[OP]
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nellium wrote: well of course you don't but that would mean one would be enrolled into an american post secondary institution
lol "enrolled" as in you are not taking any courses. Search RFD forum for Maricopa University, there are steps how to get free .edu email :) good luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2871 posts
633 upvotes
LONDON
tried the 365 preview on both my desktop and laptop, the install on desktop got really F'ed up and took forever to remove. Just look up on how many support threads there are on users unable to remove the office 365 preview
Sep 6, 2010
762 posts
92 upvotes
Waterloo
nellium wrote: isn't .edu strictly american?
I tried to sign up using my .edu email, but I got a message that said “Something went wrong”. Why?

You must have a valid e-mail address at a qualified U.S. educational institution geographically located in the United States which contains the domain suffix .edu to be eligible for this offer.
From the FAQs
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2012
1792 posts
316 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
I see that Office is only for 3 months, but does the 20GB Skydrive space expire as well?

andriykoua wrote: Search RFD forum for Maricopa University, there are steps how to get free .edu email
Thanks a lot!
Oct 26, 2011
242 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I read about this somewhere, I think if you share it on FB you get 6 months instead of the 3
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6714 posts
5383 upvotes
Or how about simply not encouraging a trend of software not being sold anymore, but simply rented out as services? And storing everything in the "cloud"? It's going to be funny when people get their Hotmail accounts hacked and a hacker does away with all their confidential SkyDrive Office files. Or the RCMP gets a court order against a Canadian citizen and Microsoft surrenders everything they have about an individual (if Microsoft doesn't already give that info away to the government without caring about the law, that is).

I'm never going to pay a dime or even use for free a service that gradually makes it so that I don't own what I pay for anymore and which forces me to continually pay more and more.

Microsoft even tried to tie the regular version of Office 2013 to a single hardware configuration, meaning that if you change your GPU, or your computer dies... your license dies as well. They only changed it after the whole Internet went after them with pitchforks. Of course, the 365 version could be used on as many devices as desired. This is simply beyond outrageous how they are trying to force feed everyone into paying a fortune at regular intervals for what used to be yours to do as you wished.
Aug 22, 2011
587 posts
289 upvotes
PORT HOPE
australia.edu for free .edu email account.....works!
Jan 2, 2012
43 posts
9 upvotes
LONDON
Poutinesauce wrote: Or how about simply not encouraging a trend of software not being sold anymore, but simply rented out as services? And storing everything in the "cloud"? It's going to be funny when people get their Hotmail accounts hacked and a hacker does away with all their confidential SkyDrive Office files. Or the RCMP gets a court order against a Canadian citizen and Microsoft surrenders everything they have about an individual (if Microsoft doesn't already give that info away to the government without caring about the law, that is).

I'm never going to pay a dime or even use for free a service that gradually makes it so that I don't own what I pay for anymore and which forces me to continually pay more and more.

Microsoft even tried to tie the regular version of Office 2013 to a single hardware configuration, meaning that if you change your GPU, or your computer dies... your license dies as well. They only changed it after the whole Internet went after them with pitchforks. Of course, the 365 version could be used on as many devices as desired. This is simply beyond outrageous how they are trying to force feed everyone into paying a fortune at regular intervals for what used to be yours to do as you wished.

Um, you never owned software before either, you just purchased a perpetual license and installed the software using physical media. Office 365 actually adds a lot of value for real students, so much that it's not really worth it to do any sort of short-term trial especially if it involves misrepresenting yourself as an American student. I ponied up the $80 or whatever and I'm happy to have 4 years of the latest version of Office and 60 Skype world minutes a month.

If Office is too expensive for you try the gimped open source suites like Open Office. They are horrible though and if you try to do any real work you'll quickly realize that Office is actually a bargain.
Aug 22, 2011
587 posts
289 upvotes
PORT HOPE
GuiGQc wrote: I see that Office is only for 3 months, but does the 20GB Skydrive space expire as well?

Thanks a lot!
"Free one month trial of Office 365 Home Premium includes access to 7 GB SkyDrive storage. An additional 20 GB storage will be enabled after the first month, once paid subscription begins."

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/try/
Jan 20, 2007
995 posts
314 upvotes
GTA
stevhorn wrote: australia.edu for free .edu email account.....works!
We are currently not accepting new customers
:(
Jun 19, 2008
431 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Perfect! My old australia.edu account worked, I'm all set up till September 2013 + additional 20GB for my SkyDrive. Thanks op!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54406 posts
19249 upvotes
stevhorn wrote: "Free one month trial of Office 365 Home Premium includes access to 7 GB SkyDrive storage. An additional 20 GB storage will be enabled after the first month, once paid subscription begins."

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/try/
Thanks. I think I already have 5 GB on my skydrive. Actually thought I'd get 15 more without having to pay anything additional.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1763 posts
239 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Poutinesauce wrote: Or how about simply not encouraging a trend of software not being sold anymore, but simply rented out as services? And storing everything in the "cloud"? It's going to be funny when people get their Hotmail accounts hacked and a hacker does away with all their confidential SkyDrive Office files. Or the RCMP gets a court order against a Canadian citizen and Microsoft surrenders everything they have about an individual (if Microsoft doesn't already give that info away to the government without caring about the law, that is).

What are you rambling about?
Want a free offline Office suite? Then get one.
Anyone who is half decent at using and understanding a computer realises how powerful Office is. If all you do is make notes, use Notepad. Oh, and you're worried about Hotmail being hacked? Just want to point out its a lot easier to hack an individuals computer, like yours and mine, than it is to hack into a company who is trying their hardest daily to block attacks. You pick which you feel safer. Its like how people are afraid of flying in an airplane, while all along statistically they are more likely to get into an accident on the drive home from the airport...