• Jan 19th, 2021 11:00 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2009
130 posts
29 upvotes
toronto

3 way switch - electrical ?

Hi
I currently have a 1- 3 way switch at the top of my stairs and 1 in my basement......
These both control pot lights in the basement.

Can I replace the 3way in the bsmt with one that acts as a dimmer?
i,e turn on lights at top of stairs, go down and use dimmer on 2nd 3 way to soften the pot lights in the basement when I am down there.
4 replies
Feb 26, 2011
766 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary
When you buy your dimmer, make sure you look for:
-One that specifically says you can use it in 3-Way applications
-LED compatibility
-Reviews on the product*

I bought a 3-Way motion sensor that says it was good for LED's. Get home and it wired up fine, but the light would never actually go off, it just dimmed the light (weird since I didn't buy a dimmer). All the reviews on the HomeDepot website says this shit product is no good for LED's. Wish I would've read those ahead of time to save 2 hours of my time going out for the product, installing, troubleshooting, uninstalling, and another trip to return/buy new.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4591 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, as long as the dimmer is a 3-way switch.

Don't rely on circuit diagrams from the internet - there are several common ways to wire 3-way light circuits, and there's no guarantee which one you have. Verify, don't assume.

If you are replacing an existing 3-way non-dimmer switch, just connect the wires the same way to the dimmer switch.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14614 posts
9000 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Yes, as long as the dimmer is a 3-way switch.

Don't rely on circuit diagrams from the internet - there are several common ways to wire 3-way light circuits, and there's no guarantee which one you have. Verify, don't assume.

If you are replacing an existing 3-way non-dimmer switch, just connect the wires the same way to the dimmer switch.
lol, I was about to say the same thing.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯