Students

3 year Diploma to a degree, or attend university for a degree straight forward?

[OP]
May 6, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

3 year Diploma to a degree, or attend university for a degree straight forward?

I am currently attending first semester of community college to earn a diploma in Computer Programmer Analyst (no co-op) at George Brown. However, I attended Ryerson University before and after sitting out for one semester, I am given the opportunity to apply for a "fresh start". A fresh start in a major I chose to apply for: Business Technology Management (previously known as Information Technology Management) and earn a Bachelor of Commerce (with co-op). I'd basically start over from square one.

Financially, it is much cheaper to go from community college to university route-- as I can finish my diploma and earn my degree in 2-3 years while working in the field I graduated in community college.

Reputation wise, I'm sort of stumped in this factor. I have talked to others who say it's much better to earn a diploma and then a degree, while others say it's better to earn a degree straight forward. Nonetheless, any advice and tips? Thank you so much for taking your time to read my post.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1063 posts
133 upvotes
I have similar situation: I am researching seriously (hence on redflagdeals) about Chemical Engineering Technology which would allow at least a transfer to Chemical Engineering or related programs at some universities for a BSc or BEng degree. I could finish in 5 years for 4 year engineering program whose student go straight from year 1. Or I could take my first year university courses and apply for Health Science related fields ?

Nonetheless, any advice and tips? Thank you so much for taking your time to read my post.