Expired Group Deals

$30 for $70 of Lobster & Seafood at The Lobster Trap

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2013 9:39 am
[OP]
Jul 14, 2005
104 posts

$30 for $70 of Lobster & Seafood at The Lobster Trap

Toronto's famous seafood stop, The Lobster Trap, has partnered with Buytopia.ca to bring you an amazing deal - $30 for $70 Worth of Food from The Lobster Trap!

CLICK HERE to purchase the deal: http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/3499

More details about the deal:
  • Very Limited Quantity Available
  • Cold water lobster flown in fresh and live from Nova Scotia
  • Fresh lobster has been a Lobster Trap specialty for over 40 years
  • Wonderfully fresh, sweet lobster
  • Friendly, casual environment
  • Atmosphere is reminiscent of the great sea food houses of the past
  • Home of the four pounder lobster dinner
  • Valid for $70 worth of food Monday-Thursday and for $60 worth of food Friday-Sunday
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11173 posts
6169 upvotes
Markham
IIRC there was a group deal with Lobster Trap before and they sold a massive qty of deals and there was speculation that they couldn't possibly fill all of the deals...were there any problems then?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1002 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Hate to say it. The place is a bit different. I went a few weeks and they were understaffed. Actually used a three year old dealfind coupon and they excepted it no problems.

Reality is as busy as they were. The food tasted as great as always. I think i will be checking out the new location once I use the two new coupons I bought.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2297 posts
333 upvotes
North York
Went there maybe a year or two ago it was alright. The food was alright although service and ambience was just sub par, definitely wont be going back if its gone downhill. Thanks for heads up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: IIRC there was a group deal with Lobster Trap before and they sold a massive qty of deals and there was speculation that they couldn't possibly fill all of the deals...were there any problems then?
I bought a voucher. It was like 2 years ago? I still remember my disappointment. They had a website with prices. When we arrived, everything was about 20-30% more expensive. They have the most amazing lobster bisque I've ever tasted and if I go again with $70 voucher, I'll probably order 7 lobster bisques because everything else was uninspiring.

My next point is not so much about the restaurant but about western style seafood places in general. My family is asian and we eat seafood at Chinese restaurants from time to time. In comparison, I find western style seafood to be ridiculous in general. First of all, the prices are outrageous. You'll get much better portions and selection at any Chinese restaurant. Seriously for over $35 for 1 SMALL lobster (plus tax and tip), I can probably get several lobsters (or one large one) at a Chinese restaurant. Fresh ones too. Or I can go to a grocery store and buy a few, because I don't think western style cooking bothers to use much seasoning. I think they just sort of steam the lobster and want us to dip it in butter oil. If there isn't much seasoning or if it's nothing special, I don't see a point in paying a massive premium just to have the restaurant steam it. I can buy a fresh lobster and steam it at home. Even if you're not getting lobster, they have things like fisherman's platter. I bet these were frozen. I think in general dishes like fish and chips are a waste of good meat. Deep frying something usually tastes good, but I find it almost an embarrassment to call anything deep fried a cuisine as it doesn't take much skill or thought to produce compared to other cuisines. Combined with how they jacked up their prices after doing vouchers and it's pretty hard to win me over as a customer.

My final complaint is that the lady at the cashier seemed upset I only tipped 10%. Seriously their service wasn't really that good. There was a lot of waiting on our end. Plus I think their food is severely overpriced to begin with so from my end, 10% is already way too much.

I don't regret going as I've always wanted to try western style seafood. Now that I know, I won't have to waste any money on this kind of food in the future. I know my 2nd paragraph it's a bit rough but this is RFD. You guys are about getting bang for your buck. You certainly won't get much banging from Lobster Trap.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2949 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote: I don't regret going as I've always wanted to try western style seafood. Now that I know, I won't have to waste any money on this kind of food in the future.
I agree steaming lobster isn't very inspiring. But I would disagree that this represents western style as a whole. Scaramouche, one of the best French restaurants in the city does "Lobsterlicious" once a year usually in February, and they prepare the lobster in a more inspiring and delicious way than steaming. I would encourage you to give that a try. You can check some of the photos and the description of the dishes here: http://taylorfladgate40906.wordpress.co ... 013-02-07/

I would also disagree that the Chinese style is the best way to serve lobster eg. frying in soya sauce with scallion etc. IMO this takes away a lot of the original lobster flavour. For me, steaming best preserves this flavour but I agree restaurants charge way too much for this and is a lot cheaper to do this at home.
Mar 27, 2003
658 posts
18 upvotes
We tried to use the dealfind voucher and was told there was change ownership. They did honor the original price we paid for the voucher, just not the promotional value.
Service was slow but not bad.