Wheels and Tires

-30 temp and tire pressure

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2020 9:43 pm
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2012
227 posts
91 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT

-30 temp and tire pressure

Good morning, I noticed the -20 temperatures made my winter tires a bit flat. I am guessing the Colder temp shrinks the air inside them?

It’s not air leak as all tires look little under inflated.

Should we be adding more air in the tieres?

Ps: I am in Whitehorse Yukon. Temp drops to -40. Currently it’s -22 with about 4 ft of snow

Thanks in advance
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
Correct, tires will lose a few psi in subzero temps.
That's why the recommendation is to take readings when the tires are cold.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4119 posts
4306 upvotes
PV=nRT
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5509 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait for -30C in gta.

In other news when weather was 0C last week, my both cars threw tpms lights because all 8 tires were under 30psi. I freaked abit maybe nail in a tire but on 2nd car too day after?
Sr. Member
Oct 10, 2020
721 posts
453 upvotes
adnanakhtar wrote: Good morning, I noticed the -20 temperatures made my winter tires a bit flat. I am guessing the Colder temp shrinks the air inside them?

It’s not air leak as all tires look little under inflated.

Should we be adding more air in the tieres?

Ps: I am in Whitehorse Yukon. Temp drops to -40. Currently it’s -22 with about 4 ft of snow

Thanks in advance
vkizzle wrote: Correct, tires will lose a few psi in subzero temps.
That's why the recommendation is to take readings when the tires are cold.
Don't do it in -40c LOL. Something is going to break.

+/- 1 psi ( reading from the tire ) for every ~ +/- 5c . I put in 5 psi more (from the recommended psi on the car's door jamb) in 10c last week because the temperatures will average around -10c in the coming weeks/months. A few psi more is much better than a few psi less.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1360 posts
679 upvotes
Calgary, AB
This is where nitrogen is extremely useful. The pressures don't drop anywhere near as much as air even down to -30 or so.
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2006
605 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Andy34 wrote: This is where nitrogen is extremely useful. The pressures don't drop anywhere near as much as air even down to -30 or so.
Air is already 78% nitrogen. The only way you can get all nitrogen is to have 2 valve stems in the rim so you can flush out all the "regular" air.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4490 posts
3744 upvotes
Oakville, ON
adnanakhtar wrote: Good morning, I noticed the -20 temperatures made my winter tires a bit flat. I am guessing the Colder temp shrinks the air inside them?

It’s not air leak as all tires look little under inflated.

Should we be adding more air in the tieres?

Ps: I am in Whitehorse Yukon. Temp drops to -40. Currently it’s -22 with about 4 ft of snow

Thanks in advance
Sound like they’ve probably lost some pressure due to the drop in temperature. Find out what the owner’s manual or door jamb sticker says for what the pressure should be, then top up accordingly. Don’t just add air until they “look inflated” - always go by the actual measured PSI rather than just eyeballing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1360 posts
679 upvotes
Calgary, AB
warpdwhim wrote: Air is already 78% nitrogen. The only way you can get all nitrogen is to have 2 valve stems in the rim so you can flush out all the "regular" air.
True, but it does make a big difference. It's also free at Costco. In my experience I've not needed to add or remove air in the tire with it in.

Top