Real Estate

30 years in same apartment, friend says he is entitled to compensation. True or false?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 12:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1047 posts
244 upvotes
Montreal

30 years in same apartment, friend says he is entitled to compensation. True or false?

This is in Montreal.

A friend and family who have lived in the same duplex apartment for 30 years are leaving to go live overseas.

The son says a lawyer told him they are entitled to compensation since it was their rent money that paid for the duplex.

These people lived all these years with just 1 rent increase of $100.

The owner who lives on the lower floors is a nice guy but very very lazy.

They have taken care of the apartment themselves with all maintenance and upkeep done by them and at their own cost. As an example, last year alone they tiled the kitchen and bathroom floors and changed the vanity. The owner insisted on chipping in with $200.

I don't know and I think the "lawyer" is just looking for business but anyone here knows if there's a case to be made?

Thanks!
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Entitled to 'something', you mean like a roof over their head for 30 year?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1047 posts
244 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Entitled to 'something', you mean like a roof over their head for 30 year?
That's what I told them, obviously without the HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they were given something in return for their money
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
redflag5050 wrote: That's what I told them, obviously without the HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they were given something in return for their money
Sorry, maybe the haha was too much but seriously, the entitlement... There's a thread over in the Cell Phone forum where someone has been a Fido client for 20 years and expects 'something' for it...

The entitlement these days is off the chart.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19071 posts
17394 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
kr0zet wrote: Sorry, maybe the haha was too much but seriously, the entitlement... There's a thread over in the Cell Phone forum where someone has been a Fido client for 20 years and expects 'something' for it...

Well, I think that customer does deserve something. That's 20 years of loyalty.

That said, in this situation, the tenant deserves ZERO money. Maybe they've earned other things but that's totally up to the landlord.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
JayLove06 wrote: Well, I think that customer does deserve something. That's 20 years of loyalty.

That said, in this situation, the tenant deserves ZERO money. Maybe they've earned other things but that's totally up to the landlord.
Fido person paid for a service for 20 years; deserves nothing. Tenants paid rent for 30 years; deserves nothing. Both received something for their money, loyalty has nothing to do with it. Should you get 'something' from your insurance company for being a long term customer? Heck i've been paying yearly for my license plates for a long time, should the government give me 'something'

But I digress, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Quebec has some weird real estate laws. But this one would take the cake,
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3213 posts
6157 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
redflag5050 wrote: This is in Montreal.

A friend and family who have lived in the same duplex apartment for 30 years are leaving to go live overseas.

The son says a lawyer told him they are entitled to compensation since it was their rent money that paid for the duplex.

These people lived all these years with just 1 rent increase of $100.

The owner who lives on the lower floors is a nice guy but very very lazy.

They have taken care of the apartment themselves with all maintenance and upkeep done by them and at their own cost. As an example, last year alone they tiled the kitchen and bathroom floors and changed the vanity. The owner insisted on chipping in with $200.

I don't know and I think the "lawyer" is just looking for business but anyone here knows if there's a case to be made?

Thanks!

This is one of the better things I've read in a while.

The lawyer should put in a clause upon vacating the property the owner is to deliver the recently installed tiles and vanity overseas and have them installed at their new place following compensation reimbursement.
Realtor®
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3027 posts
734 upvotes
Wow, just when you think you heard it all.

Also, just $100 increase in all these 30 years, the tenants should be giving the landlord a thank you gift!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I will assume they have been paying far below market rent.
If true then they have been compensated generously.

But did they go out and spend their savings or invest it?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3213 posts
6157 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Can someone/OP cross post this on reddit whichever subreddit has the outraged renters to get their take?

I expect nothing less than arson on the landlord's home for not agreeing to 'compensating' the tenants followed by a protest. That lazy landlord has no idea what's coming, that scumbag. $100 increase over 3 decades, how DARE he?
Realtor®
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2363 posts
2404 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Sorry, maybe the haha was too much but seriously, the entitlement... There's a thread over in the Cell Phone forum where someone has been a Fido client for 20 years and expects 'something' for it...

I've been with Robbers (aka Rogers) cell since 1994 and you think they give a rats axx about you? I cancelled my cable 3 years ago after they kept jacking up my rates each year. Tired of calling each year to complain about trying to reduce the monthly bill.

There is no loyalty anymore.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
788 upvotes
Toronto
Landlord: "ok, since we're making things up. Sure I can compensate you with a receipt after you pay me the 30 years of "deferred" rent increases."
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3358 posts
3663 upvotes
Montreal
There is no such legal obligation in Quebec.

I sincerely doubt any lawyer would say otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7690 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Only $100 rent increase in 30 years, and they think they are "owed" something? Lololol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7690 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
If I were paying the same rent I was paying 30 years ago (or only $100 more lol) I'd honestly consider keeping on paying the rent while I was overseas (unless they never plan to return here at all). That is one sweet deal, and they'll never come anywhere close to getting that again. I think my rent 30 years ago was about $560 for a 2 bedroom townhouse here in Victoria, BC - I'll take it!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2021
1165 posts
1921 upvotes
“Why didn’t you buy your own place 30 years ago?”

It’s either one of:

“Didn’t want to save for downpayment”
“Didn’t want a chunk of money tied down”
“Didn’t want to be tied down geographically”
“Didn’t want to be responsible for maintenance”
“Didn’t want the risk of a flood/fire/lightning”
“Didn’t want the risk of a market downturn”

Did you think the landlord didn’t have the same risks and concerns? You don’t get to share the lottery winnings if you refused to buy the ticket…
May 7, 2015
692 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redflag5050 wrote: That's what I told them, obviously without the HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they were given something in return for their money
You should tell them again but include the HAHAHAHAH.