Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25946 posts
10679 upvotes
Socially Distanced

380,000 dehumidifiers recalled in Canada for fire risk

380,000 dehumidifiers recalled in Canada for fire risk
2 million units recalled in U.S. along with another 25,000 in Mexico
The sizes range from between 25 and 74 pints. They were sold at retailers including Lowe's, Walmart and Costco between February 2009 and August 2017 for between $120 and $430.

"Consumers should stop using the dehumidifiers immediately and contact New Widetech for a refund. The amount of the refund will be pro-rated based on the age of the dehumidifier," the company said, adding that consumers with the affected models are asked to contact them.

The brand name, model number and pint capacity are printed on the nameplate sticker on the back of the dehumidifier. A complete list of recalled models can be found here.

The company said it is aware of 107 incidents of the recalled dehumidifiers overheating and/or catching fire, resulting in about $17 million in property damage. No injuries have been reported.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dehumi ... -1.6132092

Recall link
http://www.newwidetech.com/en/news.php?act=view&id=9
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
31 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
Dehumidifier recalls due to a fire hazard are so common. China pride. :rolleyes:
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4000 posts
3193 upvotes
Ottawa
Marketed under almost 20 brands from a single supplier/manufacturer - who would have thought the only difference is the label!

My Danby DDR557HE unit from Costco is not affected. Thanks for the alert though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7672 posts
5642 upvotes
Toronto
gumby wrote: Marketed under almost 20 brands from a single supplier/manufacturer - who would have thought the only difference is the label!

My Danby DDR557HE unit from Costco is not affected. Thanks for the alert though.
Got the email from Costco - looks like mine is part of the recall.
Email gives the Costco item number, and mentions it can be returned for full refund, which is what I will do next week. I can't even remember when I purchased it. Easily 10+ years ago.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25946 posts
10679 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gumby wrote: Marketed under almost 20 brands from a single supplier/manufacturer - who would have thought the only difference is the label!

Agreed.
Frankly i want to know which have identical internals so i can buy the cheapest one as they have different price points by brand.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: Agreed.
Frankly i want to know which have identical internals so i can buy the cheapest one as they have different price points by brand.
If you want something good which will just work and not risk burning the house down, buy a 20+ year old one off kijiji with mechanical controls, if you can find.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
Quentin5 wrote: Agreed.
Well the good news is that if they all have the same internals, they will all have the same flaws so you'll still get the recall on the cheaper ones.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6659 posts
1339 upvotes
I had a Danby bought from Costco which got named in the last big round of recalls about 5 years ago or so. Exact same situation, units catching on fire burning houses down, etc. Huge number of units recalled, whole bunch of brand names all having their units built by the same Chinese manufacturer, etc. I think it's a different Chinese manufacturer now, or maybe they just changed their name. I have no confidence whatsoever that this situation won't be repeated again 5 years from now. At least this time I dodged the bullet and I have a Sears Kenmore which is not affected by this, which is fortunate because I have no idea where I would take it back if I had to.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
tomtomtom wrote: Got $75 from it. It’s a far cry from what I paid.
I believe the company is Pro-Rating the returns based on age.
Dec 26, 2017
814 posts
631 upvotes
tomtomtom wrote: Got $75 from it. It’s a far cry from what I paid.
i wonder if that's all they are giving out, what id someone purchased one last year clearly wasn't worth 75$

i am checking my receipts and will go to Costco to check and see if i purchased it from there ( i am praying i did)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1407 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I got a letter from Costco with all the models ..Mine is on the list..The website they say to go on is offering me 37.50..But says I can return it to Costco for a full refund..I dont even know how many years it was or what I paid..Will take it to Costco next week..Any way I can check when I bought it and what I paid?
May 21, 2002
410 posts
96 upvotes
Just got this letter in the mail last week indicating the Danby unit I bought from Costco is included in this recall.

I couldn't even remember when I bought the thing but it's easily 6+ years ago.

Wife brought it back today with no receipt; was absolutely no issue getting a full refund. Apparently I paid $199 less a $50 discount I received at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5860 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
wasabi wrote: Just got this letter in the mail last week indicating the Danby unit I bought from Costco is included in this recall.

I couldn't even remember when I bought the thing but it's easily 6+ years ago.

Wife brought it back today with no receipt; was absolutely no issue getting a full refund. Apparently I paid $199 less a $50 discount I received at the time.
good news. I have a Costco Danby that I have no idea even how long ago I purchased it but I did get a letter in the mail. I found it super annoying loud, so I'm actually happy to return it and hunt for something more quiet.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
6089 posts
36233 upvotes
Ontario
This right here is why Costco stands out amongst retailers.

Away on holidays I missed this recall but being a Costco customer I was notified by mail and given clear instructions about receiving a full refund in store.

No hassle when returning, staff are fully aware of the recall.

Mine was eight years old and full refund granted.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
shikotee wrote: Got the email from Costco - looks like mine is part of the recall.
Email gives the Costco item number, and mentions it can be returned for full refund, which is what I will do next week. I can't even remember when I purchased it. Easily 10+ years ago.
I received the email from Costco. Returned it back to them. They told me that they can't go back farther than 12 years, and they found nothing in my file. They just gave me a $200 + TX cash card. On the recall website, they were giving a mere $37. Thanks Costco, as always an awesome service. I just had to show them them email I received as a proof that it been purchased there.

Curious that I been using this unit for more than 12 years without issues, and still working... Now, knowing this, no chances to take.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5860 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
I returned my Danby today, Costco had to go back 10 years and they finally found the sale and refunded my money. Pretty amazing for a 10 year old 60 pint product.
I truly hated the noise the damn thing made so I was at the point of tossing it to the curb.

After the return I saw a new Danby 40 pint dehumidifier on the shelf for $175 and grabbed it. Wow... totally quiet operation and it actually turns the fan off if the humidity level goes low enough (the old one did not turn off - ever)
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
rilles wrote: I returned my Danby today, Costco had to go back 10 years and they finally found the sale and refunded my money. Pretty amazing for a 10 year old 60 pint product.
I truly hated the noise the damn thing made so I was at the point of tossing it to the curb.

After the return I saw a new Danby 40 pint dehumidifier on the shelf for $175 and grabbed it. Wow... totally quiet operation and it actually turns the fan off if the humidity level goes low enough (the old one did not turn off - ever)
In the new one, does it stay off for a while after the fan shuts off?

The previous generation has an issue with the sensor being too close to moist coil - sensing left over moisture in the machine, so it turns on and starts dehumidifying under 1 minute after the fan shuts off, short cycles?

The difference in pint ratings has to do with the temperature they're rated at.
The new 40s pull out as much moist as the old 50s to 60s.