380,000 dehumidifiers recalled in Canada for fire risk

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 11:24 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the heads-up OP. I got a Danby Premier from about 6 years ago and it's not on the recall list. I've unplugged it anyway.

I really wish manufacturing would pick up in North America again. I'd pay somewhat more for stuff not made in China.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6049 posts
1419 upvotes
rural ontario
insertname2020 wrote: In the new one, does it stay off for a while after the fan shuts off?

The previous generation has an issue with the sensor being too close to moist coil - sensing left over moisture in the machine, so it turns on and starts dehumidifying under 1 minute after the fan shuts off, short cycles?

The difference in pint ratings has to do with the temperature they're rated at.
The new 40s pull out as much moist as the old 50s to 60s.
No short cycles under a minute. It's humid in the basement now so it's off for about 5 minutes and cycles on for about 5, blows air for 5 more then shuts down, repeat.
It only does that in "smart" mode, in manual mode the fan blows all the time.

My original one sucked air fron the front and blew it out the top, this one sucks from the back and blows it out the side which also reduces the sound level.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13589 posts
2991 upvotes
Toronto
I have an AeonAir RDH60EAW. Anyone got theirs recalled? This was from Costco
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6049 posts
1419 upvotes
rural ontario
insertname2020 wrote: In the new one, does it stay off for a while after the fan shuts off?

The previous generation has an issue with the sensor being too close to moist coil - sensing left over moisture in the machine, so it turns on and starts dehumidifying under 1 minute after the fan shuts off, short cycles?

The difference in pint ratings has to do with the temperature they're rated at.
The new 40s pull out as much moist as the old 50s to 60s.
rilles wrote: No short cycles under a minute. It's humid in the basement now so it's off for about 5 minutes and cycles on for about 5, blows air for 5 more then shuts down, repeat.
It only does that in "smart" mode, in manual mode the fan blows all the time.

My original one sucked air fron the front and blew it out the top, this one sucks from the back and blows it out the side which also reduces the sound level.
After watching it for two days - some corrections. The "smart" mode forces the dehumid to be at 50% and varies it up or down based on ambient temp.

The unit powers off the fan in any mode. At 50% the unit goes for 5 minutes, then turns the fan off for 45 seconds (I can see the humid readout quickly climbing up to about 60) and repeats the cycle. This is probably different from out of the box because of the water in the collector and causes what was described above.

There does not seem to be a way to keep the fan going, so I turned off smart mode and bumped the humid setting to 60 and now it only cycles on 5 minutes and 1 hour off. I may move the sensor if 60 seems to humid, but at this point it seems ok. 50% seemed way to "dry" for me.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8901 posts
5171 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
rilles wrote: I returned my Danby today, Costco had to go back 10 years and they finally found the sale and refunded my money. Pretty amazing for a 10 year old 60 pint product.
I truly hated the noise the damn thing made so I was at the point of tossing it to the curb.

After the return I saw a new Danby 40 pint dehumidifier on the shelf for $175 and grabbed it. Wow... totally quiet operation and it actually turns the fan off if the humidity level goes low enough (the old one did not turn off - ever)
Returned ours as well. They could not find when bought but after checking around with another customer svc rep they went ahead and did refund. Unless I'm wrong it cost less then what they refunded but not 100% sure as don't have invoice.

This is why we are Costco shareholders.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4735 posts
4233 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Returned ours as well. They could not find when bought but after checking around with another customer svc rep they went ahead and did refund. Unless I'm wrong it cost less then what they refunded but not 100% sure as don't have invoice.

This is why we are Costco shareholders.
LOL - this is exactly why you should NOT be a Costco shareholder ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4335 posts
3484 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
torontotim wrote: LOL - this is exactly why you should NOT be a Costco shareholder ;)
Not sure what you are getting at here. I received an email notification of a defective product that I bought at Costco (can't remember what it was), but I thought it was great that they followed up.
Unlike Amazon, Costco isn't mining my purchase history to try and sell me goods.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8901 posts
5171 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
torontotim wrote: LOL - this is exactly why you should NOT be a Costco shareholder ;)
Spent way more then refund in store that day so added to Costco revenues and share price. :)
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
669 upvotes
GTA
rilles wrote: After watching it for two days - some corrections. The "smart" mode forces the dehumid to be at 50% and varies it up or down based on ambient temp.

The unit powers off the fan in any mode. At 50% the unit goes for 5 minutes, then turns the fan off for 45 seconds (I can see the humid readout quickly climbing up to about 60) and repeats the cycle. This is probably different from out of the box because of the water in the collector and causes what was described above.

There does not seem to be a way to keep the fan going, so I turned off smart mode and bumped the humid setting to 60 and now it only cycles on 5 minutes and 1 hour off. I may move the sensor if 60 seems to humid, but at this point it seems ok. 50% seemed way to "dry" for me.
So it has the same flaw as the previous generation.
Any energy savings of shutting the fan will be wiped out due to short cycling.
The short off times, pre-mature restarting lead to short on cycles.
A dehumidifier should run for extended periods of time and also shut off for a good while between cycles unless it is really humid.

I've read of people making a small hole and re-locating the sensor outside of the unit. Not advisable when there is still a warranty though.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6049 posts
1419 upvotes
rural ontario
insertname2020 wrote: So it has the same flaw as the previous generation.
Any energy savings of shutting the fan will be wiped out due to short cycling.
The short off times, pre-mature restarting lead to short on cycles.
A dehumidifier should run for extended periods of time and also shut off for a good while between cycles unless it is really humid.

I've read of people making a small hole and re-locating the sensor outside of the unit. Not advisable when there is still a warranty though.
Yes. No real energy savings from the 45 seconds plus the draw and wear and tear of starting the fan from stop.

Some googling and I found lots of issues with Frigidair units - so it seems they have the same flaw (built by the same OEM?)
The new Danby units are rated with the same low db sound levels as Frigidair (48-52 db)
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4735 posts
4233 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Spent way more then refund in store that day so added to Costco revenues and share price. :)
This is not how share price is determined, but hey, keep on trading.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8901 posts
5171 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
torontotim wrote: This is not how share price is determined, but hey, keep on trading.
Joke went over your head.

I'll keep enjoying COST price near the highs.

Jim says hi :)