Expired Hot Deals

fizz

$39 for 9GB Data + Unlimited Call & Text (QC + Ottawa)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2021 9:29 pm
Oct 23, 2002
512 posts
220 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: Isn't this obvious since at the most we have a Canada/US coverage? If you couldn't receive a call in Cancun, would you really be surprised?
No? I have never been with a provider that did not have the ability to make calls/texts outside of their coverage area. Especially given how lucrative it can be with the usual roaming fees.
mouseontherun wrote: That's because anywhere outside US/Canada, calls and data are way cheaper, and paying for roaming is not interesting. Just an example (Orange in Romania, but similar schemes are available in all of Europe), for 6 Euros/30 days you can have a prepaid SIM with unlimited calls and text and 100GB of data available for 100 days. Still upset about the high price of roaming outside Canada?
In most circumstances, buying a prepaid SIM outside of the US and Canada is the most sensible, cost effective thing to do. When you are expecting important calls from folks that are not immediate friends and family though (e.g. contractors), it is pretty limiting to not have the ability to at least answer the call for a potentially exorbitant cost.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
Tyrant wrote: No? I have never been with a provider that did not have the ability to make calls/texts outside of their coverage area. Especially given how lucrative it can be with the usual roaming fees. (...)
It's probably because Fizz is pre-paid. Maybe you could put money in your Fizz wallet? I don't know if it's possible or what the cost would be if you don't buy an add-on in advance.
Jun 9, 2012
23 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
Tyrant wrote: No? I have never been with a provider that did not have the ability to make calls/texts outside of their coverage area. Especially given how lucrative it can be with the usual roaming fees.

In most circumstances, buying a prepaid SIM outside of the US and Canada is the most sensible, cost effective thing to do. When you are expecting important calls from folks that are not immediate friends and family though (e.g. contractors), it is pretty limiting to not have the ability to at least answer the call for a potentially exorbitant cost.
Every major mobile cell operator in Europe includes a number of international minutes in their plan or prepaid, usually about 200 to 1000 minutes, with all important countries in the world. I would suggest taking a Google Voice number if you can, (I did and I'm using it), or you can use Whatsapp. There are many options out there, you just need to look for them.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6407 posts
2482 upvotes
Montreal
Fizz is pretty solid and the pricing is awesome. The data rollover and data gifting features are killer though, that's what really makes it worthwhile. And the referral bonus is icing on the cake.

Definitely worth making the switch if you're in Quebec. Great for home internet too.
Nov 23, 2018
132 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Would you rather take Fizz 9Go/39$ or Virgin 10Go/40$ ?
Feb 28, 2015
881 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jadzzz wrote: Would you rather take Fizz 9Go/39$ or Virgin 10Go/40$ ?
I'd go with Virgin.. the reception is much better and isn't Virgin offering 12Go for 40$?
Oct 15, 2014
118 posts
25 upvotes
Westmount, QC
nahsha wrote: I'd go with Virgin.. the reception is much better and isn't Virgin offering 12Go for 40$?
I left fizz because their customer service is very bad. Every time i ask them a question on their chat, all I get is some generic response and links to some sections on their website.
Nov 23, 2018
132 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal, QC
nahsha wrote: I'd go with Virgin.. the reception is much better and isn't Virgin offering 12Go for 40$?
This is a """ special offer """ I received via mail.

The BF deal is 12Go/50$ and from what I understand it seems the 10$ off for 15 or 24 months is not available in Quebec (not sure, that's just what the Costco rep told me).
Jan 15, 2011
517 posts
1108 upvotes
Ottawa
Fizz is currently offering Canada wide unlimited talk, text, visual VM and 9GB LTE for $39/month. Unused data rolls over for 2 additional months (i.e. if you don't fully use the 9 GB at the end of the month, the remaining data rolls over for 60 more days). Subscribers must reside in Quebec or Ottawa. In addition, Fizz is offering a $100 referral bonus for both the referrer and subscriber with the use of a referral code. The $100 credit is paid out after 2nd billing cycle. There's also a one time 5GB data bonus perk upon sign up (expires after 60 days).
Plan is BYOD. No contract unless you buy a phone with them.

I've been with Fizz for over 2 years with no issues. They use the Videotron network but can roam on ROBELLUS for free due to inter-network agreements for up to 3 months at a time outside the subscription zone (Quebec and Ottawa). They do not offer customer service over the phone, only via social media and their community forum so everything is DYI, be warned!
Sim cards are $10 and can be ordered online.

Soliciting of referral codes is not allowed ON RFD THREADS
Images
  • Screenshot_20211123-160639_Chrome.jpg
  • Screenshot_20211123-160701_Chrome.png
Jul 10, 2013
126 posts
88 upvotes
MONTR
best deal so far for QC. price is good and rollover unused data to the following month. Been with them for a few days and loving it!!!
Dec 20, 2006
671 posts
288 upvotes
jadzzz wrote: The BF deal is 12Go/50$ and from what I understand it seems the 10$ off for 15 or 24 months is not available in Quebec (not sure, that's just what the Costco rep told me).
I asked around at BF and nobody in QC had that deal available. Fizz is the only one with a decent plan under 50$ here.
Jul 26, 2008
164 posts
94 upvotes
noxlord wrote: I asked around at BF and nobody in QC had that deal available. Fizz is the only one with a decent plan under 50$ here.
This is the same impression I got... The 12gb/$40 was offered everywhere except QC and Ottawa region. I signed up for Virgin but now i just switched to Fizz. $37 for 9gb (no visual voicemail) is not too bad!
Feb 25, 2015
389 posts
191 upvotes
Montreal, QC
thewongster wrote: This is the same impression I got... The 12gb/$40 was offered everywhere except QC and Ottawa region. I signed up for Virgin but now i just switched to Fizz. $37 for 9gb (no visual voicemail) is not too bad!
Fizz has visual voicemail by default. There's is no extra to get it unless you choose not to get the voicemail option.
Download Fizz visual voicemail app from the store
Jul 26, 2008
164 posts
94 upvotes
goal80 wrote: Fizz has visual voicemail by default. There's is no extra to get it unless you choose not to get the voicemail option.
Download Fizz visual voicemail app from the store
With Visual Voicemail = $39, without = $37. It's default as a sales tactic but it's really "extra" even if it doesn't feel like it because it appears automatically ticked on when you make your plan.
Feb 16, 2016
807 posts
359 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Tempted to switch from Public Mobile to Fizz. Currently paying 105$/3m (35$/m) with PM. I think I have 2gb/m (plenty for me) with LTE (my plan is grandfathered since new plans only have LTE I think).

I guess for 4$/m more I could get an extra 7gb (even though I don’t need that much) plus the ability to roll over the extra data for next month. Referral bonus seems better short term with Fizz too. Finally, a new phone would be nice (eyeing Pixel 6).

1- If I go with the 24 month payment plan with Fizz for the new phone, this is a 2yo contract correct? Just making sure. Says 33.25$/m + taxes with Paybright. Has anyone tried Paybright before? They say 0% interest financing but is there a catch in there? Will the payments be slapped on top of the 39$/m with Fizz or they will be with separate with Paybright? They mention a processing fee of 1-4$ per month on the Paybright website but none of this is mentioned on the Fizz website?

2- I see the Fizz website says there’s a reward program but that section of the website seems down. Can anyone elaborate on the Fizz reward system?

TYIA!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
Potrice wrote: Tempted to switch from Public Mobile to Fizz. Currently paying 105$/3m (35$/m) with PM. I think I have 2gb/m (plenty for me) with LTE (my plan is grandfathered since new plans only have LTE I think).

I guess for 4$/m more I could get an extra 7gb (even though I don’t need that much) plus the ability to roll over the extra data for next month. Referral bonus seems better short term with Fizz too. Finally, a new phone would be nice (eyeing Pixel 6).

1- If I go with the 24 month payment plan with Fizz for the new phone, this is a 2yo contract correct? Just making sure. Says 33.25$/m + taxes with Paybright. Has anyone tried Paybright before? They say 0% interest financing but is there a catch in there? Will the payments be slapped on top of the 39$/m with Fizz or they will be with separate with Paybright?

2- I see the Fizz website says there’s a reward program but that section of the website seems down. Can anyone elaborate on the Fizz reward system?

TYIA!
For $36 per month, you could get 3 GB + Unlimited voice and texts + voicemail + Canada coverage. You are right, the rolling over of unused data for the next 2 billing cycles makes a big difference. You will never be short of data. The b0nus for new customers is currently $50 until January 12th.

If you buy a phone from Fizz, you have to keep a plan with Fizz for 24 months or they will claw back the rebate you got prorated for the months left.

The rewards program is rather negligible. It's gravy. 250-500 MB bonus here, $1-$2 rebate there... You get them by climbing the levels with points. You get points when you pay your bill each month, when you refer people, when you answer questions on the forum, when you "like" answers, when your answer get selected as the best answer, when you gift data to other Fizz members, etc.
Feb 16, 2016
807 posts
359 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Temporel wrote: For $36 per month, you could get 3 GB + Unlimited voice and texts + voicemail + Canada coverage. You are right, the rolling over of unused data for the next 2 billing cycles makes a big difference. You will never be short of data. The b0nus for new customers is currently $50 until January 12th.

If you buy a phone from Fizz, you have to keep a plan with Fizz for 24 months or they will claw back the rebate you got prorated for the months left.

The rewards program is rather negligible. It's gravy. 250-500 MB bonus here, $1-$2 rebate there... You get them by climbing the levels with points. You get points when you pay your bill each month, when you refer people, when you answer questions on the forum, when you "like" answers, when your answer get selected as the best answer, when you gift data to other Fizz members, etc.
Thank you for the awesome reply! So Paybright doesn’t charge a processing fee per month if I decide to finance the phone?