Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA

3Dfx Comeback?

20 years out of the game, but the former King is making an announcement Thursday, August 5th:

https://wccftech.com/gpu-maker-3dfx-int ... -week/amp/

Now their initial tweet is very vague. Since they were in the GPU market, what are the chances they are coming back to compete with Nvidia, AMD, or even Intel for that matter? Coming back to make some smaller random products I could believe, but GPUs?
c'mon get happy!
41 replies
Jun 28, 2018
353 posts
420 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Technically they never made GPU’s. The term didn’t start getting used until the first Geforce card which was the first card to handle geometry transformations hence the first card to unload the entire graphics pipeline from the cpu to the graphics card (hence GPU). Before that the CPU still handled geometry while the cards did texturing, filtering, etc. Hence back then cards would brag about pixel “fill rate” instead of teraflops like now /nerd out
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
DarekP84312 wrote: Technically they never made GPU’s. The term didn’t start getting used until the first Geforce card which was the first card to handle geometry transformations hence the first card to unload the entire graphics pipeline from the cpu to the graphics card (hence GPU). Before that the CPU still handled geometry while the cards did texturing, filtering, etc. Hence back then cards would brag about pixel “fill rate” instead of teraflops like now /nerd out
Well then, 3Dfx made graphics cards in general I suppose. But it seems the term GPU has been around since the 70's as a processing unit that handled graphics apart from the CPU. But yes the specifics of what they are capable of have changed over time. Seems like Nvidia was just the first to claim it as a marketable term.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4922 posts
1955 upvotes
Nvidia bought 3dfx right? So will be a branch off from nvidia with some thing? Or someone has the "name" 3dfx now and will release nvidia cards with that brand name? I guess we will see on Thursday!! Twitter account created in July 2021...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5076 posts
3280 upvotes
Let's bring back the Canadian greats! ATi and Matrox join the party!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
coilz wrote: Nvidia bought 3dfx right? So will be a branch off from nvidia with some thing? Or someone has the "name" 3dfx now and will release nvidia cards with that brand name? I guess we will see on Thursday!! Twitter account created in July 2021...

https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-buys-o ... -business/
Graphics chipmaker Nvidia bought out one-time rival 3dfx Interactive on Friday, another landmark in the consolidation of the graphics hardware industry.
Under the terms of the agreement, Nvidia will give 3dfx $70 million in cash and 1 million shares of common stock for the patents, brand names, and current inventory relating to 3dfx's graphics chip business. In addition, a patent infringement suit between the two companies will be dismissed when the transaction is closed. Nvidia will not acquire 3dfx's graphics board business
Seems like they don't own the name 3Dfx.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3768 posts
2447 upvotes
London
bhrm wrote: Let's bring back the Canadian greats! ATi and Matrox join the party!
ATI is AMD there warehouse is still right were it always was in Markham ON just with an AMD logo on the building.

also Matrox is still around to they just don't make consumer GPUs anymore.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview

here is one of there current cards it cost as much as a 3090 lol but with the whopping 2gb of ram i doubt it would play many games.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5730 posts
5402 upvotes
Vancouver
Sounds like they'll return as an AIB partner like EVGA or Gigabyte.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3927 posts
1382 upvotes
Belle River
Spinner wrote: Sounds like they'll return as an AIB partner like EVGA or Gigabyte.
That's a good guess. I'd go with that or maybe software/games.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2327 posts
1309 upvotes
GTA
I was thinking maybe 3Dfx making brand new PCB's with all new parts (new caps, etc) and such of some of their top tier legacy cards that fetch a pretty penny on ebay, but for way cheaper? (5500)

Maybe with something like more modern monitor support, (DVI, HDMI) and possibly motherboard connections (PCI, PCI-e) for legacy machines? Enthusiasts that want to build a legacy W98 or XP machine? With sourcing parts that are not too hard to get but somehow still supported drivers?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4922 posts
1955 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote: I was thinking maybe 3Dfx making brand new PCB's with all new parts (new caps, etc) and such of some of their top tier legacy cards that fetch a pretty penny on ebay, but for way cheaper? (5500)

Maybe with something like more modern monitor support, (DVI, HDMI) and possibly motherboard connections (PCI, PCI-e) for legacy machines? Enthusiasts that want to build a legacy W98 or XP machine? With sourcing parts that are not too hard to get but somehow still supported drivers?
Someone enthusiast with skillzzz did that. With Voodoo 5 6000!! https://hothardware.com/news/3dfx-voodo ... st-vsa-100
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
BernardRyder wrote: Coming back to make some smaller random products I could believe, but GPUs?
Watch it be some lame freemium game for your phone lol
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4922 posts
1955 upvotes
shabby wrote: Watch it be some lame freemium game for your phone lol
Yeah i can see that.... someone milking any "goodwill" left from the 3dfx name for some really stupid product.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2327 posts
1309 upvotes
GTA
coilz wrote: Someone enthusiast with skillzzz did that. With Voodoo 5 6000!! https://hothardware.com/news/3dfx-voodo ... st-vsa-100
Yea, I remember seeing this fan made card.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a fake and lame stunt someone tried to pull amid a GPU shortage. A lot of people calling that post fake now with supposedly posting the pic is ripped from Deviant Art.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7484 posts
4115 upvotes
Debtario
aaron158 wrote: ATI is AMD there warehouse is still right were it always was in Markham ON just with an AMD logo on the building.

also Matrox is still around to they just don't make consumer GPUs anymore.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview

here is one of there current cards it cost as much as a 3090 lol but with the whopping 2gb of ram i doubt it would play many games.
Neat. Didn't know they were still around.

I was cleaning up the basement and found a Matrox dual head AGP card with a bridged MPEG capture card. Has made in canada proudly silkscreened onto it!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
I'm afraid it is either fake or a publicity stunt or an announcement for products we don't really need, such as streaming sticks. But I'm hopeful anyway!
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1986 posts
1124 upvotes
Spinner wrote: Sounds like they'll return as an AIB partner like EVGA or Gigabyte.
This would be my guess as well. To develop a new GPU from scratch that would complete with the top GPUs now would be extremely difficult and would cost a small fortune.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: This would be my guess as well. To develop a new GPU from scratch that would complete with the top GPUs now would be extremely difficult and would cost a small fortune.
A rather large fortune, I'd wager. Intel has done that, and their discrete GPUs are still a joke.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37379 posts
5240 upvotes
Winnipeg
BernardRyder wrote: Seems like they don't own the name 3Dfx.
without patents what they will do with just the name?
WTB amazon gc @90%

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)