Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
238 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal, QC

3HK: Fido 4GB viable alternatives

Thank you for the great discussion and recommendations of possible alternative options since receiving the email from Fido.

I have benefitted for several years from these great Fido data-only plans, currently have a total of 7 plans across my family that are 3 GB + unlimited overage with 100% discount on the base plan and free overages. I always wondered a little when the too-good-to-be-true deal would come to an end...

I am interested by the possibility of opening a new data-only line with 4 GB and a 'free' tablet with a 24-month commitment. I don't want to end up being stuck with a 24-month commitment and Fido telling me the 4 GB data-only plan still needs an 'eligible' talk-text-data plan on my account, but without a crystal ball, it's hard to predict the future.

Before reading about this option, I had found an eSIM offer from 3 Hong Kong that seemed reasonable : 35 GB of data (30 GB + 5 GB social data) valid for 365 days in Canada, USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Total cost for the 365 days is ~$44 CAD (HK$268), which works out to ~$3.67 CAD per month : https://www.three.com.hk/prepaid/DIY/en/offer/travel

Question: has anyone used an eSIM from 3 Hong Kong before? Was it easy to set up? How were the data speeds? Thank you in advance for any feedback!
3HK.png
Last edited by aasoror on Aug 18th, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
Thread Summary
31 replies
Jun 18, 2018
216 posts
223 upvotes
It 100% blows my mind that in 2021 in Canada we need to look into Chinese companies (someone else posted about a HK company a week back) for a simple data package. Shameful.
mathieurousseau wrote: Thank you for the great discussion and recommendations of possible alternative options since receiving the email from Fido.

I have benefitted for several years from these great Fido data-only plans, currently have a total of 7 plans across my family that are 3 GB + unlimited overage with 100% discount on the base plan and free overages. I always wondered a little when the too-good-to-be-true deal would come to an end...

I am interested by the possibility of opening a new data-only line with 4 GB and a 'free' tablet with a 24-month commitment. I don't want to end up being stuck with a 24-month commitment and Fido telling me the 4 GB data-only plan still needs an 'eligible' talk-text-data plan on my account, but without a crystal ball, it's hard to predict the future.

Before reading about this option, I had found an eSIM offer from 3 Hong Kong that seemed reasonable : 35 GB of data (30 GB + 5 GB social data) valid for 365 days in Canada, USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Total cost for the 365 days is ~$44 CAD (HK$268), which works out to ~$3.67 CAD per month : https://www.three.com.hk/prepaid/DIY/en/offer/travel

Question: has anyone used an eSIM from 3 Hong Kong before? Was it easy to set up? How were the data speeds? Thank you in advance for any feedback!

3HK.png
Jan 11, 2009
696 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
mathieurousseau wrote: Thank you for the great discussion and recommendations of possible alternative options since receiving the email from Fido.

3HK.png
I looked at the a couple weeks ago and the only downside I got from this is that all your traffic gets routed through China - so you ping/latency etc will be 10-20 times worse. Depending on how you consume your data this could be a big issue or a non issue. I was thinking of getting this e-sim for when I travel and for for day to day usage.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
238 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal, QC
xseanx wrote: I looked at the a couple weeks ago and the only downside I got from this is that all your traffic gets routed through China - so you ping/latency etc will be 10-20 times worse. Depending on how you consume your data this could be a big issue or a non issue. I was thinking of getting this e-sim for when I travel and for for day to day usage.
Thank you for the feedback. Makes me think that it might be worth it for me to buy it now and test it out to see if it would be fast enough to be usable in Canada. Then if it's too slow in Canada I can still use it just for travelling in the next 365 days and pick up a new line from Fido with 4 GB data-only 24-month-free-tablet $5.75/month plan.
Jan 11, 2009
696 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
mathieurousseau wrote: Thank you for the feedback. Makes me think that it might be worth it for me to buy it now and test it out to see if it would be fast enough to be usable in Canada. Then if it's too slow in Canada I can still use it just for travelling in the next 365 days and pick up a new line from Fido with 4 GB data-only 24-month-free tablet plan.
Your welcome, here is some additional research

Past Thread from a couple years ago

3-hk-roaming-10-day-data-pass-esim-138h ... y-2320831/

Recent Reddit discussion
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... ys_30gb35/

Speed Test's
Jul 6, 2014
359 posts
353 upvotes
Nepean, ON
DoNotBan wrote: It 100% blows my mind that in 2021 in Canada we need to look into Chinese companies (someone else posted about a HK company a week back) for a simple data package. Shameful.
Come on, its RFD. We subscribe Netflix via Turkey, maybe Argentina.

Shame is not highest priority.
Jul 15, 2003
888 posts
365 upvotes
That's a pretty great deal. Is this available in a regular SIM as well? Update: Just did some research. Regular SIM only sends to HK :(

In anticipation of the Great Fido Purge, I already bought a KeepGo global SIM. There's a promotion that gives you 3GB for 365 days. $25 USD. Data top-ups start at $3 for 100MB and data rolls over. My plan is to use this as an emergency backup, but this 3HK deal is way better.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1024 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
They sell a 24 hour pass for Canada for $3 CDN. Someone could test it out.
Jan 13, 2002
482 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Which mid-priced Android phones support esim?
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
238 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal, QC
djray wrote: That's a pretty great deal. Is this available in a regular SIM as well? Update: Just did some research. Regular SIM only sends to HK :(
From the Reddit thread posted above ( https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... ys_30gb35/ ; thank you xseanx!) it seems you can buy a 3 Hong Kong physical SIM from Amazon or eBay for delivery in Canada!
Jan 13, 2002
482 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Any links to amazon or ebay physical SIM, can't find this one.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1024 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
fredder wrote: Which mid-priced Android phones support esim?
I have a Pixel 3XL that supports esim. Never tried it, though.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1807 posts
1114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
3HK is fine - it can be hit and miss with spotty 3G-like connections depending on locations and local roaming partners, but it works for basic stuff such as staying connected and checking email/FB, etc.
I used it traveling around asia going through many countries during a relatively short period of time, and it was nice that I didnt have to buy a new SIM at each country.
Most recently I used it in Cancun/PDC - it was not great on Movistar (probably more to do with Movistar than 3). I ended up buying a TELCEL sim and it was much better.
For city use here in Canada, I recall you can roam on Rogers, Telus and Bell - you can always switch around the networks and see what works best for you.
As mentioned, your data routes through HK so you will have a HK ip which may or may not be annoying for certain websites.
Jul 15, 2003
888 posts
365 upvotes
ericw wrote: As mentioned, your data routes through HK so you will have a HK ip which may or may not be annoying for certain websites.
That's a problem if you're doing anything remotely sensitive like checking email with an email client. It's like when you travel and you login to your site, you'll trip security IP checks and will be asked to verify if you are the one that is actually accessing the site.

Will probably have to pass on this. Yeah, you could workaround this with a VPN routed to Canada, but that's not something I really want to consider.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1807 posts
1114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djray wrote: That's a problem if you're doing anything remotely sensitive like checking email with an email client. It's like when you travel and you login to your site, you'll trip security IP checks and will be asked to verify if you are the one that is actually accessing the site.

Will probably have to pass on this. Yeah, you could workaround this with a VPN routed to Canada, but that's not something I really want to consider.
I had vpn to my home router permanently on - not sure if Apple's new Private Relay will achieve the same by gps location vs. IP.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4274 posts
4474 upvotes
A slight derail...

For those who are looking for an alternative mobile data plan option, this may be a viable option for you.

It's 30GB (+5GB Social Data option) for $44CAD per year. You can also roam in the US/UK/AUS/NZ. Tethering is supported.

three-hk-3-hk-mobile-data-10gb-ca-us-au ... d-2486920/

I am moving on from this Fido tablet plan as soon as I receive my SIM card.
Feb 25, 2018
22 posts
17 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: A slight derail...

For those who are looking for an alternative mobile data plan option, this may be a viable option for you.

It's 30GB (+5GB Social Data option) for $44CAD per year. You can also roam in the US/UK/AUS/NZ. Tethering is supported.

three-hk-3-hk-mobile-data-10gb-ca-us-au ... d-2486920/

I am moving on from this Fido tablet plan as soon as I receive my SIM card.
There are some pretty significant hurdles with that service. The data routes back through Hong Kong. At best it means high latency (400-600ms) which is completely unusable for interactive applications like VOIP. But beyond latency, your data is routing through China!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4274 posts
4474 upvotes
BrianJM wrote: There are some pretty significant hurdles with that service. The data routes back through Hong Kong. At best it means high latency (400-600ms) which is completely unusable for interactive applications like VOIP. But beyond latency, your data is routing through China!
I don't have any issues with that. VOIP works as its been tested by multiple users in the thread (Whatsapp calls, WeChat calls, etc.)
With Fido, my data right now, as I speak, is routed through the Five Eyes Alliance.
Feb 25, 2018
22 posts
17 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: VOIP works as its been tested by multiple users in the thread (Whatsapp calls, WeChat calls, etc.)
That's highly doubtful if latency really is 400-600ms. I read the thread. I didn't see anyone saying VOIP was satisfactory, or even tested.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5721 posts
4188 upvotes
LaLaLand
BrianJM wrote: There are some pretty significant hurdles with that service. The data routes back through Hong Kong. At best it means high latency (400-600ms) which is completely unusable for interactive applications like VOIP. But beyond latency, your data is routing through China!
BrianJM wrote: That's highly doubtful if latency really is 400-600ms. I read the thread. I didn't see anyone saying VOIP was satisfactory, or even tested.
I use a few foreign SIM cards, including one from China. If ping is latency (in Speedtest app), then 400-600ms is accurate. I only use VoIP numbers and have also done video calls and I've never had any issues. I only use my VoIP services over data.