Ongoing Deal Discussion

Epson.ca

3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1485 posts
789 upvotes
WATERLOO
So think I figured out my blanking out issue. I hooked up a new tv to the second hdmi out which I think was occasionally getting triggered causing the projector to lose connection. After unplugging connection to tv I haven’t experienced the issue. Hopefully this was truly the cause and I can live with manually hooking up tv when I need to.

Another question. Started watching the new stranger things which is 4K HDR on the projector and the picture is dark and isn’t really sharp.
Currently have projector set to eco mode and natural settings.
I know HDR will make things dark, but anyone know if I need to change projector settings to make things better? I only get really sharp pictures when playing movies from 4K physical disk. Even playing 4K content off my Shield doesn’t seem that sharp.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
ballashotcaller wrote: Another question. Started watching the new stranger things which is 4K HDR on the projector and the picture is dark and isn’t really sharp.
Currently have projector set to eco mode and natural settings.
I know HDR will make things dark, but anyone know if I need to change projector settings to make things better?
First confirm projector is reporting proper HDR input (10+ bits and BT2020 from the info screen).

Next set color mode to bright cinema, lamp to high and dynamic range to HDR1. This is as bright as the projector would go for HDR content, then work your way down depending on preference and ambient light (though for HDR content I wouldn't go below bright cinema, medium lamp and HDR2 for dynamic range).
Nov 12, 2022
7 posts
2 upvotes
Amex platinum card has resulted in three cancelled orders. Their phone support is useless. How can it be so hard for a company to take my $2000? I use the same card online every day with no issue... only with Epson!!!
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
jmackisback85 wrote: Amex platinum card has resulted in three cancelled orders. Their phone support is useless. How can it be so hard for a company to take my $2000? I use the same card online every day with no issue... only with Epson!!!
Who issued your AMEX card?
Epson doesn't seem to be budging about the requirement for manual verification as part of payment processing, this has been the case for many years and not sure they would change it any time soon. Retrying with the same card rarely made any difference (as far as the reports here go), unless there were some obvious info mismatch on original order.
Nov 12, 2022
7 posts
2 upvotes
Card was issued by Amex Canada. Also tried HSBC MC, no luck. I'm sorry, but Epson is a joke. They have probably lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I personally bought one at Visions for virtually the same price (open box).
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
There's no excuse for it. They know it's been happening for years and they've done about it. I lost all respect for them when they did this multiple times to me. If I call you and explicitly tell you I want to buy something from you and your system has rejected my attempt, you don't just shrug your shoulders and tell me to try again - especially not when you KNOW this is a problem. Epson is pathetic.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
jmackisback85 wrote: Card was issued by Amex Canada. Also tried HSBC MC, no luck. I'm sorry, but Epson is a joke. They have probably lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I personally bought one at Visions for virtually the same price (open box).
I think I also had cc approval issues when I got my 5040 a few years ago but I think it just goes to show that their business isn't to retail. Que sera sera.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
jmackisback85 wrote: Card was issued by Amex Canada. Also tried HSBC MC, no luck. I'm sorry, but Epson is a joke. They have probably lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I personally bought one at Visions for virtually the same price (open box).
I think I also had cc approval issues when I got my 5040 a few years ago but I think it just goes to show that their business isn't to retail. Que sera sera.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
txenglan wrote: There's no excuse for it.
Not an excuse but rather a reasoning. It's a requirement Epson continues to deem necessary for their B2B sales, apparently, they aren't doing enough B2C to invest in a different payment processor (after all aside from the clearance section, which is just a handful of units at a time, their e-store mostly runs at MSRP and the sales prices are typically matched at authorized retailers, so don't think there is that much volume in that route as people would be more likely to shop for the same projector at a local retailer for easier returns ). It's not like they have trouble moving units from their clearance section, so apparently, there are enough customers with "working cards" to keep them running. What they should do though is to be more transparent about it and place a disclaimer at checkout to the effect of "we require a card from a financial institution that supports manual verification of payment info" (or even better, maintain a master list of the cards known to work).
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1165 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
My 5040UB just suddenly went black and complains the lamp is overheating (lamp light orange, status light flashing blue). I’ve done everything short of bulb replacement. After suffering the perpetual auto iris error I was hoping I’d have better luck with this one.

Anyone else experience this?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2004
1387 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
bobbyz101 wrote: My 5040UB just suddenly went black and complains the lamp is overheating (lamp light orange, status light flashing blue). I’ve done everything short of bulb replacement. After suffering the perpetual auto iris error I was hoping I’d have better luck with this one.

Anyone else experience this?
I’ve had this problem with some aftermarket lamps in my 8500UB, which were solved by replacing the bulb. That said, my fans are starting to make noise so it could be a combination of out of spec bulbs plus the lower efficiency of the fan(s). I assume you cleaned your air filter? You may also want to remove the lamp and inspect for dust accumulation.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1165 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
FFWD wrote: I’ve had this problem with some aftermarket lamps in my 8500UB, which were solved by replacing the bulb. That said, my fans are starting to make noise so it could be a combination of out of spec bulbs plus the lower efficiency of the fan(s). I assume you cleaned your air filter? You may also want to remove the lamp and inspect for dust accumulation.
Yeah removed the filter and it was pretty clean, the bulb even cleaner. A replacement bulb seems to have fixed it but that means the bulb that came with the unit from Epson quit after 1500 hours.
Dec 26, 2007
604 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
bobbyz101 wrote: Yeah removed the filter and it was pretty clean, the bulb even cleaner. A replacement bulb seems to have fixed it but that means the bulb that came with the unit from Epson quit after 1500 hours.
try to enable "high altitude mode" on the new lamp, projector will run a little louder, but keep the lamp cooler. hopefully will help with longevity. you could also reach out to Epson and say the lamp only lasted 1500 hours, sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)