Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2454 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
LauD14 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:40 am
Thanks for your review.

I also received my yesterday and only took 20 minutes to setup, mind you it was a ghetto setup projecting against a beige wall of about 100" and sitting on top of a laundry hamper about 10' away lol but that shows you how versatile it is. I would say that the picture quality is quite good, but nothing special and not better than my old 52" Sony Bravia LCD. I find that it is very bright even in Eco mode so much so that I had to adjust the brightness to a lower setting. It does take maybe about a minute or so for the screen to display once turn the projector on.

Although I knew that the blacks won't be as black as LCD/LED, I didn't think it was going to be noticeable but it was definitely noticeable, and I'm far from a cinema expert but I appreciate quality imaging. I think this is a major trade off for some people, but I am accepting this trade off for a bigger screen and also not having a proper projector screen. I'm sure that with a proper screen and understanding the features and image settings will only improve the PQ.

Adjusting the screen size may be an issue if you have a smaller room and expect this to project big. Luckily I didn't need to adjust by using the keystone adjustments. The zoom feature was nice and it was easy to use. So far, I've only connected with the Chromecast and haven't tried other sources. I can see this being hours of fun testing and playing with different inputs especially when I don't have a receiver to simplify.

So far the wife was not totally impressed with the picture quality, but then again she wasn't too impressed when the box came from Amazon either- so she's a little bit pissed to start with, she'll get over it.
The projector did not come with the original box, but it was packaged safely and my impression is that it looks brand new with stickers where they need to be. Hopefully people will start receiving their Epson soon and share their experiences.
Regarding the blacks - don't forget your black will only be as black as the room allows - so if you're in a blackout room with black walls/ceiling and a white screen the performance will be better. For most of us, using this in none-perfect cinema conditions with light in the room, you will likely want to look into an Ambient Light Reflecting (ALR) screen, or one of the grey screens to try and deepen the blacks. I'm in a white room with with very little light control on a white wall - from from perfect but definitely enjoyable with a 100"+ screen!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
Guys, there are 2 settings that are rendering very subtle noise only when I watch cable TV from my Rogers box. They are overscan and frame interpolation. The noise looks like tiny specs flickering all over the screen. They are so small that initially I didn't see them, but now that I do I can't unsee them. They are easier to see in darker scenes. Impossible to see in white scenes.

This doesn't happen when I project from my media player. Both Rogers box and media player feed into a receiver with 1 HDMI out to the Epson.

The two settings also have a cumulative effect. If I have just 1 turned on, the noise is very slight but if they're both on its more prominent.

Cranking up the noise reduction and turning down detail enhancement seems to have no effect.

When I turn auto overscan and frame interpolation off they disappear.

Is anyone else experiencing this ?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
never mind, I've done some tests and the root cause is either interference or signal degradation or both.
Dec 27, 2007
18116 posts
9285 upvotes
Kitchener
Tabascco wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:43 pm
4K HDR BenQ at Bestbuy $1999 preorders

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/benq ... 0/12057464
MSRP is $1500 in the US, so exchange rate is reasonable enough.
Just note that this is an e-shifting projector with 1920x1080x4 natinative resolution, some would favor the Optoma UHD60 with 2716x1528x2 native resolution instead.
Solid buy (though 4x the 2040 price) ;)
Dec 8, 2008
605 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
Tig wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 6:30 pm
Guys, there are 2 settings that are rendering very subtle noise only when I watch cable TV from my Rogers box. They are overscan and frame interpolation. The noise looks like tiny specs flickering all over the screen. They are so small that initially I didn't see them, but now that I do I can't unsee them. They are easier to see in darker scenes. Impossible to see in white scenes.

This doesn't happen when I project from my media player. Both Rogers box and media player feed into a receiver with 1 HDMI out to the Epson.

The two settings also have a cumulative effect. If I have just 1 turned on, the noise is very slight but if they're both on its more prominent.

Cranking up the noise reduction and turning down detail enhancement seems to have no effect.

When I turn auto overscan and frame interpolation off they disappear.

Is anyone else experiencing this ?
Try eco mode and turning off auto iris?
never messed with overscan or interpolation and never heard anything of what you're mentioning.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
traced the issue to an aukey hdmi booster, which instead of boosting the signal appears to have been introducing noise. Just took it out of the loop and the PQ is nice and clean.

Now I am trying to figure out if the auto iris grinding noise is normal or if I got a lemon. It's not very loud, but when the volume is lower, it's noticeable when it opens/closes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8638 posts
1677 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Auto iris noise is normal, you can choose a lower speed no?
Dec 8, 2008
605 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
Daijoubu wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 10:31 am
Auto iris noise is normal, you can choose a lower speed no?
Just disable it. Or if you have a lovely room to crank up the sound its easy to ignore. Helps with the gradient of Black but if you have a large contrast ratio it shouldn't be a big deal.

As for those people saying the chinese TFT 5" LCD projectors are great. No they're not, it's the white van scam 2.0

Chinese projector tear down and comparison

This is a scammer at work.
Dec 27, 2007
18116 posts
9285 upvotes
Kitchener
Midknight Storm wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 1:21 pm
This is a scammer at work.
He just wants to spam his amazon affiliate link, so he will say whatever it takes.
But the video gives a good idea how these cheapo toys perform (though, just like others commented, I don't think the couple of last shots near the end of the video are from that projector), there are tons of user videos out there to see it in real action.
Dec 27, 2007
18116 posts
9285 upvotes
Kitchener
Tig wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 10:13 am
It's not very loud, but when the volume is lower, it's noticeable when it opens/closes
It should be noticeable (worse if you set it to higher speeds) its a mechanical process not a digital one.
Dec 8, 2008
605 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
Can't deny it helps with Black levels. But if you can live without that aid you're better off without it unless you dont mind having a powerful sound system to drown it out.
Or find better placement.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1980 posts
332 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Thinking of grabbing 3700 or 3100 for 110'' AT screen with seating distance of 10ft.
If I'll be playing mostly 1080 content, then there's no need to look into 4K projector, right ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jblade44