Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Epson.ca] 3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Feb 24, 2016
82 posts
97 upvotes
I paid that last year, you’d think with it getting a year older it would be cheaper.
Feb 5, 2008
647 posts
183 upvotes
CANADA
Some of the other prices are going up

I noticed the 2045 and the 2100 went up

The 2150 is still a steal IMO, seems like a price error
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2808 posts
223 upvotes
Anyone looking for a BRIGHT projector- the Refurbished 1450 hasn't been in stock in about 8 months (was $1200 when it was in stock).

Having said that, it's on sale on Amazon (brand new) at the cheapest historical price for $1600:
https://www.amazon.ca/Epson-HC1450-Cine ... epson+1450
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Dec 8, 2008
605 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
Well...
I believe the recent discontinuation of some models like the HC 1040 made them believe they could jack up the price higher due to limited refurbished units in the lower end.
It's just an assumption on my part. The one i got from Amazon also go up went up $50 recently
$530-$540(Nov 2017- Mid Feb 2018) to $580 as of now for a refurbished HC 1040.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2770 posts
193 upvotes
Brantford
I'd need a short throw projector but I don't see any easy way to identify that feature in Epsons making convention. Is there a simple way to reduce the epson refurbished list to only those with short throw capability?
Dec 2, 2011
9 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
For people who are looking for 2040 refurbs, staples.ca also sells it for just 479 compared to 519 on Epson site, and you can use coupons as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2808 posts
223 upvotes
Recently bought Epson 1450 (bought brand new since I couldn't wait any longer for refurbished to come back in stock)
Built a screen (roughly 120")

My goal was to setup a rig as a television replacement. Something that is at least usable even with tons of ambient light around (of course it'll shine with little or no ambient light)

See below

Just some of the light leaking into the room:

When light is a little more controlled (but even here the potlights are on as you can see, along with some other light not in visible in the picture)

Dec 8, 2008
605 posts
59 upvotes
Edmonton
jadoocian wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 4:53 pm
Recently bought Epson 1450 (bought brand new since I couldn't wait any longer for refurbished to come back in stock)
Built a screen (roughly 120")

My goal was to setup a rig as a television replacement. Something that is at least usable even with tons of ambient light around (of course it'll shine with little or no ambient light)
I like this guy.
Also
Saw this at staples.ca
https://www.staples.ca/en/Epson-Refurbi ... CA_1_20001
2040 for $460 without the headaches and confusion of Epson.ca wonky billing system.

Makes me almost wish I had more patience to get the audio jack version lol.
Feb 5, 2012
687 posts
429 upvotes
Montreal
Santa Clarita Diet is such a great show. Cannot wait for season 3.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2808 posts
223 upvotes
Midknight Storm wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 4:43 am
@jadoocian
What's the screen you're using made of? Just a black board?
I built the screen from scratch to save some money and make it custom fit my wall.

Goal: Build a rig as a tv replacement. (Needs to work half decently on main floor with lots of ambient light)

Projector: Epson 1450

DIY screen (roughly 120") with the help of: Elite Screens Designer Cut Series, 135-Inch Diag. 16:9, Pre-Cut DIY Projector Screen Material, CineGrey5D (Amazon)

Borders: Carl’s Black Felt Tape for DIY Projector Screen (Amazon US)

Mount: Vantage Point CGUPM12-B Universal Front Projector Mount
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8635 posts
1676 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jadoocian wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 5:08 pm
I built the screen from scratch to save some money and make it custom fit my wall.

Goal: Build a rig as a tv replacement. (Needs to work half decently on main floor with lots of ambient light)

Projector: Epson 1450

DIY screen (roughly 120") with the help of: Elite Screens Designer Cut Series, 135-Inch Diag. 16:9, Pre-Cut DIY Projector Screen Material, CineGrey5D (Amazon)

Borders: Carl’s Black Felt Tape for DIY Projector Screen (Amazon US)

Mount: Vantage Point CGUPM12-B Universal Front Projector Mount
I was eyeing the exact same DIY screen, what did you do to tension it? Just manually stapled?
I saw a fair priced 120" in a fixed frame but the screen itself has a 1.2 gain/160deg viewing angle, so I guess it doesn't reject much ambient light and I'm not sure if it's going to be any good during the day
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2808 posts
223 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 12:15 pm
I was eyeing the exact same DIY screen, what did you do to tension it? Just manually stapled?
I saw a fair priced 120" in a fixed frame but the screen itself has a 1.2 gain/160deg viewing angle, so I guess it doesn't reject much ambient light and I'm not sure if it's going to be any good during the day
Yes I used staples (the kind you'd use in a baseboard or other wood projects) to pull and hold the screen. This is probably a two person job.

Even with mine, as you can tell in the worst conditions (lots of bright light coming in), the picture quality is not that good. Then again, even my old television had a massive reflection of light on it when there was lots of light coming in. At the end of the day, I figured regardless of what I'm using, picture quality goes down with tons of ambient light. I figured most of the time I'd be using it would be evenings anyway so I was okay with getting a large screen instead of great picture quality during the day. Even in the cases when I'm using it during the day, I can always close the curtains/blinds.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1282 posts
1116 upvotes
EDMONTON
jadoocian wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 1:47 pm
Yes I used staples (the kind you'd use in a baseboard or other wood projects) to pull and hold the screen. This is probably a two person job.

Even with mine, as you can tell in the worst conditions (lots of bright light coming in), the picture quality is not that good. Then again, even my old television had a massive reflection of light on it when there was lots of light coming in. At the end of the day, I figured regardless of what I'm using, picture quality goes down with tons of ambient light. I figured most of the time I'd be using it would be evenings anyway so I was okay with getting a large screen instead of great picture quality during the day. Even in the cases when I'm using it during the day, I can always close the curtains/blinds.
So what's it stapled to?