None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1771 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal

3x points with AMEX website

Experience booking a flight through AMEX Website (American Express Travel Agency) ?

So, flights accumule 2x points. Am I right that I should get 3X for using AMEX web site?
6 replies
Apr 2, 2016
482 posts
317 upvotes
YVR BOY wrote: Amex gold card, yes!
Is this confirmed that the Canadian Amex Gold earns 3 MR/$ for travel booked through the Amex travel agency? The informational booklet that comes with the card isn't very clear with this wording.
Oct 16, 2014
221 posts
137 upvotes
Moncton, NB
The wording on https://travel.americanexpress.ca/trave ... h#terms-hp is actually quite clear:
Additional Membership Rewards® point Offer

Basic Cardmembers enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards® Program that book travel through the American Express Travel website will earn one additional bonus Membership Rewards point for every dollar charged to their eligible card for hotel and car rental bookings (less credits and adjustments) where American Express Travel (not the hotel or car rental company) is the merchant. The number of bonus Membership Rewards points is calculated by multiplying each eligible transaction by one subject to rounding. Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program apply.

Eligible Cards include: The American Express® Card, American Express® Gold Rewards Card, Platinum Card®, Centurion® Card, Choice Card from American ExpressTM, ChoicePlus Card from American ExpressTM, The Business Platinum CardTM from American Express, American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card, American Express® Corporate Card, American Express® Corporate Gold Card, American Express® Corporate Platinum Card, and the Platinum Credit Card.

± Hotel bookings under the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS or The Hotel Collection programs are not eligible for this Bonus Membership Rewards points offer.
Flights do not qualify.

I would only use American Express Travel to book non-chain hotels since those booking won't get you frequent guest points/benefits. As for car rentals, I always find better rates booking directly with the agency (after shopping around for discounted rates codes and coupons – autoslash is great for this).
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1771 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
hyacinthe wrote: The wording on https://travel.americanexpress.ca/trave ... h#terms-hp is actually quite clear:

Flights do not qualify.

I would only use American Express Travel to book non-chain hotels since those booking won't get you frequent guest points/benefits. As for car rentals, I always find better rates booking directly with the agency (after shopping around for discounted rates codes and coupons – autoslash is great for this).
You are right. Flights are excluded, that's why they gave me just 2x on my recent flight booking. The price throught AMEX Travel Agency was $15 cheaper than booking elsewhere including directly with the Airline so it worths anyway.

I got confused because in this web site it's not clear at all : "If you are interested in accumulating the greatest number of points in order to redeem in the future, we recommend booking travel using the American Express travel website. When you book using the American Express website, you earn 1 extra reward point for every dollar spent, on top of the points your credit card already provides, allowing you to accumulate points for future travel. For most American Express cards this results in 2 points per dollar of travel (1 point per dollar of travel + 1 bonus point). However if you own the American Express Gold Rewards credit card you receive 3 points per dollar spent (2 points per dollar of travel + 1 bonus point), which is an exceptional deal."

http://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/amer ... oint-value
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
It's better to book flights directly with the airline. One reason is in case you need to cancel or change the flight, you will face less hassle and restrictions when dealing with the airline that when dealing with an online travel agency
Oct 16, 2014
221 posts
137 upvotes
Moncton, NB
iamthebest wrote: You are right. Flights are excluded, that's why they gave me just 2x on my recent flight booking. The price throught AMEX Travel Agency was $15 cheaper than booking elsewhere including directly with the Airline so it worths anyway.<br />
<br />
I got confused because in this web site it's not clear at all : "If you are interested in accumulating the greatest number of points in order to redeem in the future, we recommend booking travel using the American Express travel website. When you book using the American Express website, you earn 1 extra reward point for every dollar spent, on top of the points your credit card already provides, allowing you to accumulate points for future travel. For most American Express cards this results in 2 points per dollar of travel (1 point per dollar of travel + 1 bonus point). However if you own the American Express Gold Rewards credit card you receive 3 points per dollar spent (2 points per dollar of travel + 1 bonus point), which is an exceptional deal."<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/amer ... oint-value" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/amer ... t-value</a>
<br />
<br />
Which is why you should always cross reference what you find on the internet with the official terms and conditions ;)