4 or 6 inch recessed LED lights for high ceiling

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2022 7:33 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2004
841 posts
325 upvotes

4 or 6 inch recessed LED lights for high ceiling

Living room is 11 ft x 17 ft. Ceiling is 11 ft. I prefer 4 inch recessed LED lighting but it appears 6 inch is recommended for high ceilings based in Google? Which one? Seems like newer LEDs are more powerful. And I like the look of 4 inch size.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3487 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
There are a few factors here to consider. The most important is beam spread of the LEDs, depending on their type (4 vs 6in). This impacts the spacing between lights. Other is obviously how many lumans (brightness of the bulbs) they put out. Of course there is how they actually look. (6 inch feel dated, 4 inch are more modern)

Think of an LED light on the ceiling as projecting an upside down ice cream cone shaped light. LED bulbs usually has a spec rating explaining the angle of the light. You ideally want to design the placement of the pot lights such that the light cones overlap around eye level. Otherwise, if they are spaced too far apart you will get lighter and darker spots within the room and your brain catches and notices these changes. Keep this in mind.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2004
841 posts
325 upvotes
I threw the numbers into 3 lumens calculators for 4 inch diameter and I m getting between 10 to 12 LEDs. The LEDs are 500 lumens. I think I ll go with maybe between 12 and 15 to be on the safe side. I like brighter. Not bold enough to go 3 inch diameter though.