• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2016 9:09 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
709 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto

401 highway through hell

I don't drive on the 401 everyday but it's like a highway through hell now. Everyone is going at 130+ and tailgating each other. Any emergency stop would cause a pile up. Not only you have the tailgaters, you have also have people who drive really slow and people who change lane every 5 seconds and zip through traffic. Then you also have the people who enters the freeway and make 3 lane changes directly to the fast lane.

I have a problem with people carrying their kids around and drive aggressively, that's selfish.

I've been driving for over 10 years, I get nervous driving on 401 at night, day time is ok due to much better visibility.

I remember it wasn't like this maybe 10 years ago.
61 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28126 posts
13341 upvotes
Toronto
Not hell. Just the norm these days.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3191 posts
705 upvotes
So, don't take 401 then...

I think people wont make 3 lane changes if the express transfer aren't so close to the entry ramp...

It is what it is. If you get nervous driving the 401, you may need to get some more lessons or confidence in driving in general.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2953 posts
1557 upvotes
Mississauga
samguan wrote: I don't drive on the 401 everyday but it's like a highway through hell now. Everyone is going at 130+ and tailgating each other. Any emergency stop would cause a pile up. Not only you have the tailgaters, you have also have people who drive really slow and people who change lane every 5 seconds and zip through traffic. Then you also have the people who enters the freeway and make 3 lane changes directly to the fast lane.

I have a problem with people carrying their kids around and drive aggressively, that's selfish.

I've been driving for over 10 years, I get nervous driving on 401 at night, day time is ok due to much better visibility.

side streets
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1409 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Another reason why you feel people are more aggressive during less busier times (night time) is that people that frequently commute on the 401 are dealing with gridlock traffic. It's actually less frequent that the 401 allows you to go 130. Drivers takes this as a release to go fast for the same journey that would've otherwise taken them 2-4 times as long.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21187 posts
10649 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I just sit back and lol at the f'ery being executed on the 403/qew/401 on a daily basis. Thankfully I've moved to the west end and don't have to deal with the hell that is the 401 on a daily basis anymore, but when I go back to the hood to visit my parents it's always a special treat to see the moronic driving maneuvers that are undertaken pretty much every second of the drive.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2896 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
bst wrote: Another reason why you feel people are more aggressive during less busier times (night time) is that people that frequently commute on the 401 are dealing with gridlock traffic. It's actually less frequent that the 401 allows you to go 130. Drivers takes this as a release to go fast for the same journey that would've otherwise taken them 2-4 times as long.
Yeah, when is the 401 going 130kph? 2am on a Tuesday? It's usually 20-40kph from 8am to 7pm. Especially if you're in Mississauga going East in the morning or West in the evening (reversed if you're in Ajax). You could get out and walk faster.
Oct 13, 2016
152 posts
54 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: So, don't take 401 then...

I think people wont make 3 lane changes if the express transfer aren't so close to the entry ramp...

It is what it is. If you get nervous driving the 401, you may need to get some more lessons or confidence in driving in general.
I agree, people entering the 401 especially in the morning want to get to the passing lane or into express. Sometimes this causes more traffic(IE Markham road entrance)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14350 posts
8747 upvotes
Toronto
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54428 posts
19281 upvotes
I drove 30-40 km (each way) on the 401 yesterday afternoon and at night (427 to 404). Surprised there was no congestion. I drove on the rightmost lane or one lane to the left at 110 km/h and didn't see a lot of aholes. I'm not going to compete with speed demons who think technology can defeat the law of physics.

Some weave courteously through traffic and I check my rearview mirrors for the speed demons that may cut me off.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6072 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
The real norm is 120/130 on left lane and express, if you don't like it move over.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1953 posts
454 upvotes
m4r 1k8
the highway has changed this last summer alone. Last year you could go at night 7-8PM and drive 100-120, now there is not a single time when the highway is packed, its gotten ridiculous, even on a sunday at 11PM its jam packed ... wtf?? better off taking roads honestly at least you can achieve a full 60km/h as opposed to the 20-30KM on highway + lane jumpers that just slow everyone down
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1771 posts
956 upvotes
Durham
People are switching lanes all the time because there is always some moron in the PASSING LANE going slower then the rest of the traffic. Even when traffic begins to move freely, they refuse to move and ignore high beams, car horn etc.

And if you think the 401 is hell, you will have a rude awakening if you ever drive anywhere else. NYC highways through Manhattan, I4 Orlando, Santa Monica LA etc are far more aggressive then 401 drivers. The 401 at peak rush hour is like driving Miss Daisy compared to those. Heck even the 410 drivers are more aggressive.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1409 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
ed116 wrote: the highway has changed this last summer alone. Last year you could go at night 7-8PM and drive 100-120, now there is not a single time when the highway is packed, its gotten ridiculous, even on a sunday at 11PM its jam packed ... wtf?? better off taking roads honestly at least you can achieve a full 60km/h as opposed to the 20-30KM on highway + lane jumpers that just slow everyone down
So true, I commute on the 401 daily and noticed the volume gotten significantly worse year-over-year. The sections where there used to be a break and would free up for a bit are now gone. Going EB between 427 to 404/DVP after 6:30PM is just as bad as 5:00PM now.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1771 posts
956 upvotes
Durham
bst wrote:
ed116 wrote: the highway has changed this last summer alone. Last year you could go at night 7-8PM and drive 100-120, now there is not a single time when the highway is packed, its gotten ridiculous, even on a sunday at 11PM its jam packed ... wtf?? better off taking roads honestly at least you can achieve a full 60km/h as opposed to the 20-30KM on highway + lane jumpers that just slow everyone down
So true, I commute on the 401 daily and noticed the volume gotten significantly worse year-over-year. The sections where there used to be a break and would free up for a bit are now gone. Going EB between 427 to 404/DVP after 6:30PM is just as bad as 5:00PM now.
The morning as well. WB 401 at Neilson jams up much earlier then before.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5430 posts
983 upvotes
samguan wrote: I don't drive on the 401 everyday but it's like a highway through hell now. Everyone is going at 130+ and tailgating each other. Any emergency stop would cause a pile up. Not only you have the tailgaters, you have also have people who drive really slow and people who change lane every 5 seconds and zip through traffic. Then you also have the people who enters the freeway and make 3 lane changes directly to the fast lane.

Your complaint about the 401 is cars going too fast?

As someone who lives in Toronto my biggest complaint is that it is usually impossible to travel faster than 30km/h on that road...
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10006 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
op could be corrollar driver.. watchout!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Nov 20, 2014
219 posts
97 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Me thinks there's a correlation between how powerful economy cars have gotten nowadays and the behaviour on the roads. Eg new civic turbo will do 0-60 in 7 sec

Mix that with cars from 5 years ago that take 10+ seconds to accelerate to highway speeds and you have this situation where one car is not fast enough causing drivers to cut in and out of lanes.