Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
407ETR

407ETR - Covid help- First Transponder lease Free for the Year- Only Charge for second $9.95-

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2020 6:56 am
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: Name "worse" than selling a highway we built to a foreign multi-national that charges us insane amounts of money to use our own infrastructure. I'll wait.
How much time you got? Disclosure I used to be NDP/Liberal supporter but the more you grow up the more you realize most government just waste money if we give it to them...especially liberals
Debt DOUBLED under their watch, we pay $1 billiion in INTEREST a month..that's 12 billion a year. INTEREST. imagine what we can do with that...you can basically give back $850/year to every Ontario resident that gets reinvested in the economy
Gas plant scandal
Hydro One
Health care declined, longest wait times in our history
eHealth, how much was wasted on that, like 8B?
the list goes on

You cant just point to 407 as the be all and end all and compare apples to oranges. the liberals have killed us the last 15 years
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2933 posts
1523 upvotes
North York
Samshares wrote: There are just as many hiccups with getting more and fast rail service as there are with getting another Highway....If the government wanted they could have put a rail service along 407 connecting the entire system from Milton to Peterborough and TTC in between, after all it is government owned land that 407 is operating on and there is sufficient space for a trail service to run on the side or in center (raised and below ground at places)

That would be ideal, and then another trail service from Windsor-Waterloo-Milton-Downtown and Waterloo-Milton etc.

In honest reality tho I don't think it'll happen in our lifetime. There are too many that oppose it, and I won't be surprised if 407 is always the first one to the party batting with their pockets.
they are working on a similar project right now that started under libs unless ford cancels it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/407_Transitway
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rage2021 wrote: the liberals have killed us the last 15 years
If you want to politicize this recall that Doofus Ford ran on a platform of cutting spending and waste by finding "economies." One of his "economies" was to end annual inspections of long term care homes. And as it happens today we all found the results of Doofus' "economies": Military alleges horrific conditions, abuse in pandemic-hit Ontario nursing homes. Under his "ledership" things got so bad that now Ontario long-term care homes in scathing report could face criminal charges, says Doofus.

The Liberals may have "killed us" figuratively but the Tories have managed to do it literally. And more than once.

Yeah things are so much better under Mike (Walkerton contaminated water deaths) Harris and Doofus (long term care home deaths) Ford. Yeah, Ontarians are dying to elect more of their kind.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
bylo wrote: If you want to politicize this recall that Doofus Ford ran on a platform of cutting spending and waste by finding "economies." One of his "economies" was to end annual inspections of long term care homes. And as it happens today we all found the results of Doofus' "economies": Military alleges horrific conditions, abuse in pandemic-hit Ontario nursing homes. Under his "ledership" things got so bad that now Ontario long-term care homes in scathing report could face criminal charges, says Doofus.

The Liberals may have "killed us" figuratively but the Tories have managed to do it literally. And more than once.

Yeah things are so much better under Mike (Walkerton contaminated water deaths) Harris and Doofus (long term care home deaths) Ford. Yeah, Ontarians are dying to elect more of their kind.
lol your contradicting yourself. i get into this debate with leftists all the time, who think money grows on trees and we can spend tax payers money however the government sees fit. its all relative, you could say Wynn killed those people by piling on the debt that soared out of control ..when does the party end??

honestly just give conservatives power permanently after they balance so we dont waste again. i honestly thought Harper was terrible at one point, I see him now as one of the greatest PM's after his full tenure. i had more money in my pocket under his leadership, he left a balanced budget and now clown prince is here to terrorize us.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3575 upvotes
rage2021 wrote: You cant just point to 407 as the be all and end all and compare apples to oranges. the liberals have killed us the last 15 years
Everything else you just listed can be chalked up to incompetence. Selling a road, that we built, to a foreign corporation that will bilk Canada for billions? That wasn't an accident, that takes a lot of paying off, and smart people knowingly looking the other way. The 407 will ALWAYS be a Conservative led disaster, and will remain, for a hundred years, a literally scar through the city that could have been made more accessible; but instead, is bleeding commuters dry.
Hydro One? Pfft. We'll forget about that in a decade. The 407? That's a disaster that might as well be eternal.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
MikoWilson wrote: Everything else you just listed can be chalked up to incompetence. Selling a road, that we built, to a foreign corporation that will bilk Canada for billions? That wasn't an accident, that takes a lot of paying off, and smart people knowingly looking the other way. The 407 will ALWAYS be a Conservative led disaster, and will remain, for a hundred years, a literally scar through the city that could have been made more accessible; but instead, is bleeding commuters dry.
Hydro One? Pfft. We'll forget about that in a decade. The 407? That's a disaster that might as well be eternal.
Wow someone has a grudge for losing his hwy!

But try finding an alternative way to heat or cool your home?
Paying for healthcare?
Or working two or three jobs cause one wont cut it because we're being taxed to death for what the liberals wasted.

We still have other roads to use besides the 407!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
some1not wrote: Wow someone has a grudge for losing his hwy!

But try finding an alternative way to heat or cool your home?
Paying for healthcare?
Or working two or three jobs cause one wont cut it because we're being taxed to death for what the liberals wasted.

We still have other roads to use besides the 407!
yeah these guys dont get it, its like arguing with a wall. so stubborn on the 407 thing vs the 100 negative things the lieberals do..lol.
Jan 27, 2015
443 posts
544 upvotes
King City, ON
bylo wrote: A feature that's sorely needed on GPS apps like Google Maps is some useful information to help decide if it's worth the cost of taking a toll road.
Both Waze and Apple Maps show estimated travel times and toll cost for multiple routes. I used to use that feature every day in the Before Times.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2458 posts
916 upvotes
Toronto
rage2021 wrote: yeah these guys dont get it, its like arguing with a wall. so stubborn on the 407 thing vs the 100 negative things the lieberals do..lol.
This is a good deal for those that are eligible, no point in talking politics on a deal forum. Everyone has their own views and opinions. Let's just respect each others differences and enjoy our privilege to have a multi-party option (all have their negatives if you look). Could be worse.
Last edited by Franchise10 on May 27th, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
McAngus wrote: Both Waze and Apple Maps show estimated travel times and toll cost for multiple routes. I used to use that feature every day in the Before Times.
Thanks. I'll look at Waze again. I stopped using it when the number of false traffic jam alarms and such vastly exceeded the actual ones.

Another anecdote. Once when I was heading back to Canada from south of Buffalo in a rural area, I asked my GPS for directions home. It came back with a 13 hour route going east along the south shore of Lake Ontario, then around the lake through QC, then back west on 401. Why? Because I had "no toll roads" enabled. Apparently the bridges across the Niagara River are considered toll roads. The GPS was too "dumb" to realize that a $4 toll is cheaper than the cost of gas to drive around Lake Ontario, let alone the extra 10 hours of wasted driving time.
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
rage2021 wrote: How much time you got? Disclosure I used to be NDP/Liberal supporter but the more you grow up the more you realize most government just waste money if we give it to them...especially liberals
Debt DOUBLED under their watch, we pay $1 billiion in INTEREST a month..that's 12 billion a year. INTEREST. imagine what we can do with that...you can basically give back $850/year to every Ontario resident that gets reinvested in the economy
Gas plant scandal
Hydro One
Health care declined, longest wait times in our history
eHealth, how much was wasted on that, like 8B?
the list goes on

You cant just point to 407 as the be all and end all and compare apples to oranges. the liberals have killed us the last 15 years
The 407 isn't bad just because it cost alot of money, its bad because its one of the best examples of corruption and bribery anyone has seen to date. Nothing comes close, and its a great example of how corrupt the conservatives are as a party, how big of a sellout they are to private interests and how much conservative politicians pad their pockets at tax payers expense. The conservatives are so amazing in your eyes yet they have burned alberta to the ground lol. No, the rest of canada doesn't want to end up like alberta, depending on one single industry while everything else goes to hell. I heard the albertan premier even gambled away tax payer funds on some crock pot deal and lost $5 billion over night. All political parties are bad, and yes while debt is also bad, the way the economy grows is also through debt. You act as if those debt dollars wasn't useful for something...without it we wouldn't have transit, or support for families to have children, or even go out and work because daycare wouldn't be funded. Our infrastructure would be in ruins, If you think healthcare is bad now, imagine if we didn't spend more money hiring extra doctors and building facilities. Those things we take for granted cost money. The question you need to ask is why those services cost so much and how we can cut their costs, not that we actually spent on it in the first place.

Many of your examples of liberal spending are services critical to peoples lives. Did the liberals over spend? YES. Do they screw up? YES. Do they over promise and under deliver? YES. Should they be more accountable and transparent on spending? Of course. But without a doubt, they are still the far better option than the conservatives. And thats saying something about how bad the cons are.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: The 407 isn't bad just because it cost alot of money, its bad because its one of the best examples of corruption and bribery anyone has seen to date. Nothing comes close, and its a great example of how corrupt the conservatives are as a party, how big of a sellout they are to private interests and how much conservative politicians pad their pockets at tax payers expense. The conservatives are so amazing in your eyes yet they have burned alberta to the ground lol. No, the rest of canada doesn't want to end up like alberta, depending on one single industry while everything else goes to hell. I heard the albertan premier even gambled away tax payer funds on some crock pot deal and lost $5 billion over night. All political parties are bad, and yes while debt is also bad, the way the economy grows is also through debt. You act as if those debt dollars wasn't useful for something...without it we wouldn't have transit, or support for families to have children, or even go out and work because daycare wouldn't be funded. Our infrastructure would be in ruins, If you think healthcare is bad now, imagine if we didn't spend more money hiring extra doctors and building facilities. Those things we take for granted cost money. The question you need to ask is why those services cost so much and how we can cut their costs, not that we actually spent on it in the first place.

Many of your examples of liberal spending are services critical to peoples lives. Did the liberals over spend? YES. Do they screw up? YES. Do they over promise and under deliver? YES. Should they be more accountable and transparent on spending? Of course. But without a doubt, they are still the far better option than the conservatives. And thats saying something about how bad the cons are.
thats your opinion we can argue for days how the liberals are more corrupt. lol whatever. transit still sucks here, healthcare too
so many people game the system/government for social benefits (child credit is a great example with no apparent cap) Mrs suzy smith pays 2k a month in day care, struggles with this horrendous transit system/planning and gets no tax breaks - transit credit, gone, child arts credit, gone. (apparently makes too much to qualify for child credit yet has to pay 2k in day care fees.)

while someone at home pumping 5 kids gets 5-600 per kid? your penalized to work under this government. alot of middle class people feel that way, the majority of my office does, I dont even bring it up, they do. they hate it.

we can go on for days man, to each thier own.
Aug 16, 2013
624 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote: It amazes me to see people with money to burn hopping on the 407 on a Sunday morning during COVID when the traffic on Hwy 7 and the 401 is virtually non existent.
I do as well because Tier 3 gets free km on Sundays.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2933 posts
1523 upvotes
North York
for a little perspective, 407 was sold for 3b, appraised at 6b a year later, currently worth 30b, and pre-covid, was expected to be worth 45b in a few years.

ehealth was 8b and intended to save 6b. it was a necessary expense for a very complex project and the amount that was actually waste is unknown but it is certainly not 8b.

on the subject of some governments running up debt, keep in mind that previous governments sometimes starve the beast to force the next government to put us into debt to maintain services. when necessary services are cut past an acceptable point, it costs a lot more to get them going again.

on harper, he completely entangled us with the chinese economy by selling off oil sands rights and put us right under China's thumb.

they're all crooks of course.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1427 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Draff wrote: Canadian Pension Plan partly owns the 407... we'd all be screwed if that happened.
They are making enough to pay their bills so they must be making a ton of money before covid.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Was going to Niagara Falls two weeks ago. I live near the 407 and checked their rates and I was floored. $27 to go from Yonge to QEW in Burlington with a transponder ($30 without)! So nearly $60 back and forth. Needless to say I opted for 401. They are running a racket and imo government needs to look at their pricing practices. They need to legislate them down significantly to be in line with other toll roads.
For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thelasthunter wrote: Was going to Niagara Falls two weeks ago. I live near the 407 and checked their rates and I was floored. $27 to go from Yonge to QEW in Burlington with a transponder ($30 without)! So nearly $60 back and forth. Needless to say I opted for 401. They are running a racket and imo government needs to look at their pricing practices. They need to legislate them down significantly to be in line with other toll roads.
To put things into perspective, last year I drove from Syracuse to Buffalo on NY Thruway I-90. The ~250km drive cost under CA$8 or about 3¢/km, all in. By comparison 407ETR at ~50¢/km plus add-ons is highway robbery.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 13, 2004
280 posts
197 upvotes
The 407 and other Mike Harris buddies can all go rot in hell. **** boycott that shit.
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
928 upvotes
Spawk1028 wrote: Good let them burn. I hope they go bankrupt
just because i want to speak it into existence. i'm quoting you

anyone that supports the 407 is a loser.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)