Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
407ETR

407ETR - Covid help- First Transponder lease Free for the Year- Only Charge for second $9.95-

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2020 6:56 am
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3572 upvotes
some1not wrote: Wow someone has a grudge for losing his hwy!

But try finding an alternative way to heat or cool your home?
Paying for healthcare?
Or working two or three jobs cause one wont cut it because we're being taxed to death for what the liberals wasted.

We still have other roads to use besides the 407!
You sound like you live in some Dickensian hell-scape, lol. Ontario, is fine. We live in THE most sought after country in the world, with the highest level of "satisfaction" on the planet.
My gripe is with politicians who sell off parts of our country to foreign multi-national corporations, especially when we paid for that road in the first place.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, and take ownership of it, what will you take ownership of? Anything? Are Cons these magical creatures to you that do no wrong? lol.
Jun 3, 2011
108 posts
50 upvotes
Whitby
kmancher wrote: They should just make the 407 free for a little while.
You have that right.. the 407 should be free.. nit for a little while forever..
We paid for it thru taxes.. and now its literally highway robbery..
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
1517 posts
1957 upvotes
Why does the **** is the transponder not a one time charge?

I have an E-ZPass in the car from NY State that cost me $20 for life and that $20 was credited onto my account.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gospodin wrote: You have that right.. the 407 should be free.. nit for a little while forever..
We paid for it thru taxes.. and now its literally highway robbery..
"We" did. But then Mike Harris sold it to private interests in order to raise cash so he wouldn't have to run a deficit. Now those interests have it for 99 years. Some have characterized Mike's move as burning the furniture to heat the house. That works until you burn all the furniture. Then you're back to a cold house--and no furniture.

Speaking of Mike and his uncommonly nonsensical legacy, guess who privatized long term homes in Ontario? Yup. The same Mike. And now many of those who voted for him are paying the cost. With their lives.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rainor94 wrote: Why does the **** is the transponder not a one time charge?
Because in Ontario the toll roads are owned and operated by a private consortium that can set any prices it wants and all the government--of any party--can do is watch the rape in progress.
I have an E-ZPass in the car from NY State that cost me $20 for life and that $20 was credited onto my account.
Actually it's US$25, or at least it is now. And of course even though the 407ETR transponders are compatible with EZPass, they can't be used on each other's toll roads. The 407ETR highway robbers wouldn't want to lose any transponder rental revenue, eh?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3740 posts
3963 upvotes
Toronto
MikoWilson wrote: You sound like you live in some Dickensian hell-scape, lol. Ontario, is fine. We live in THE most sought after country in the world, with the highest level of "satisfaction" on the planet.
My gripe is with politicians who sell off parts of our country to foreign multi-national corporations, especially when we paid for that road in the first place.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, and take ownership of it, what will you take ownership of? Anything? Are Cons these magical creatures to you that do no wrong? lol.

Hell no, I was pissed when the 407 was sold off. It was a toll hyw anyways. If the government have kept it we would all be complaining on the same thing. High toll prices when our tax dollars build it! LOL.

But like I said, I can still use other roads/hyw. What I can't do is use other hydro companies or even go completely off grid!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
some1not wrote: If the government have kept it we would all be complaining on the same thing. High toll prices when our tax dollars build it! LOL.
Perhaps we'd still be complaining. But at least those "$billions and $billions" in profits would be flowing back into provincial coffers where they might get used for our benefit rather than into the greedy hands of a bunch of overseas fat cats.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
Charging for transponder is the biggest way they rob us.

Knowing the transponder helps them simplify their billing and save them ton of money rather than have to audit video feeds to bill people.

I also heard that out of province drivers have gotten away with no bills. So they grill Ontarians to the core.....

They don't have any power to block their license renewals and all outside of Ontario.
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3572 upvotes
some1not wrote: Hell no, I was pissed when the 407 was sold off. It was a toll hyw anyways. If the government have kept it we would all be complaining on the same thing. High toll prices when our tax dollars build it! LOL.

But like I said, I can still use other roads/hyw. What I can't do is use other hydro companies or even go completely off grid!
The 407 was a toll highway, yes, but now we are being charged roughly 8X what the toll used to be, even though we put limits in place to stop that sort of inflation.
So what do we have now? We have a highway, that we built, sold to a foreign multinational for pennies on the dollar -- that our great,great, great grandchildren will be cursed with.

Yeah, you pretty much can go off grid these days. At the very least, we can build new power plants which provide cheaper energy.

What we can't do is get out of this boondoggle of a contract.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MikoWilson wrote: What we can't do is get out of this boondoggle of a contract.
We could refuse to drive on it. (Unless of course there's something in the contract that guarantees the owners some minimum amount of revenue. Given what else is buried in there that wouldn't be a big surprise.)

Boycotting might even work during the pandemic when the other 400-series roads aren't that busy. But could we hold to that boycott after things start returning towards the new normal? If we could do that then perhaps that would give the greedy highway robbers pause to consider toll reductions.

Yeah, I know. I'm dreaming in 3D 8K Technicolor.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)