Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 2, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
York

40yr old car?

Looking to buy a 64 to 80 car either mustang or camaro privately ive never bought a car privately always from a dealer what will i need to do to get this car on the road in my name thanks
2 replies
Sep 25, 2009
617 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
From your post I understand you have negligible do-it-yourself skills and never dealt with cars, except being a consumer.

I am not going into specific of above mentioned makes and models - variety is big, and I don't know all the details. Those are nice, reputable classic cars loved by thousands of people.

I am not going to speculate on MTO and insurance tips and tricks with older cars - lets RFD forum at its best do it for a "thanks" or two.

My answer is very general about purchasing an older car in unknown condition from a private seller or a less-reputable dealer.

Two words reply - make sure that everything is reasonable, no stories and no puzzles. Nobody rides Camaro only to the church and makes 3000 Km / year since American Independence war.

Please continue to read on, if the answer is not satisfactory.

Usually people who sell those car privately are straightforward and honest. Compare with dealers you will have positive buying experience.

Pick the car, avoid non-plated - non-insured - non drive-able -because of second fuse /battery/left flat tire cars.
Just be sure that story, accidents, level of maintenance, number of previous owners is reasonable.
If price is lower then market for the make / model - be sure you know why it is adjusted.

*** please note **** the process of manufacturing and the history of frame-based cars is different. Small and medium fender-bender will not affect car performance and safety, if properly repaired. Only accident which reached frame or major components should be taken into consideration. The prove - OPP and some regional forces are still insist on Crown Vics for a policing job. Only qualified mechanic can say about frame damage.

Make a check list, based on relevant forum information.
I am MB / Toyota guy, so my check list will be simpler but useless for you. Look for a relevant car fun forums

For MB I would use a pains lists from http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/

If the car is nice and your ready to ask more question (and pay for the right answers):
Do an appointment with your or neutral reputable mechanic with proven knowledge.Again web forums is your friend.
If seller refuses - like in every other aspect of human life - "NO means NO" just walk away.

Mechanics appt is not a purchase agreement.You are not committed yet, but you pay for the appointment.
The cost may vary between 100 to 200 dollars. From the garage shop perspective when they receive a call - they will book time, one or two mechanics, lift etc.
My point if after 2 minutes mechanic came out and says - there is a frame damage from accident, or traces of flood - PAY the FULL agreed PRICE for the inspection:
1.you saved purchase price.
2.you learned the lesson.
3.you want this mechanic to be on your side next time you bring a car for an inspection.

Not obvious Things to ask mechanic:
1. Frame damage, as mentioned before
2. rust and rust repairs
3. major components - engine / transmission being replaced
4. Condition of electrical and wiring - can say a lot about how the horse is beaten :)
5. AC condition, if presents
6. Tires condition - this can say a lot about steering and suspension issues
7. anything you find on forums for a specific year, make and model.

Time to verify the car with Ontario UVIP package. Again pay for this yourself to avoid any cooking and printing.
This with confirm or at least align with the seller story. In case of major discrepancies - you know what to do .

If you are happy with answers - you can resume price negotiation process or avoid it at all - good car hard to find. Remember if you need to save 200-300 dollars of purchase price, may be you cannot afford this type of cars at all.
Call your insurance, be ready to spend time in MTO and write a check ( don't forget cash is a king in most cases too)

Good luck and enjoy the classic motoring. It has its rewards.
"if you torture the data long enough nature will confess" Economist Ronald Coase - University of Chicago