Automotive

Locked: $430 surprise in the mail after driving in Quebec.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2010 5:28 pm

Poll: Do you think it's right to have PQ cops spend hours searching for expired stickers?

• Total votes: 43. You have voted on this poll.
NO, they should be searching for wreckless and drunk drivers.

14%
NO. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with making money.

37%
YES, they need the money for more powerful Taser Guns.

26%
YES, they need the money, plus it's the safest place for them to be!

23%
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada

$430 surprise in the mail after driving in Quebec.

I'm wondering if there are any other drivers who have found a fine in the mail, after driving in Quebec.

I heard that Quebec police spend hours scouring touristy parking lots looking for expired Ontario license plate stickers. I got visual confirmation while I was at a ski hill in Quebec. Couldn't figure out what he was doing, until I got a $430 ticket two weeks later in the mail. It must have been Tourist appreciation day!

You'd think their time could be better spent making the streets safer. Oh ya that's right, that missing sticker may have caused a 20 car pile-up and keeping drunks off the road doesn't pay as well!

At least the Quebec cops are staying out of harms way, by spending their day in the parking lot!

Well I will never spend another dollar in Quebec again! Too bad because the people there are great!

Sorry Grandma Robicheau, you'll never see me again! :mad:
Share:
58 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16387 posts
6558 upvotes
Did you not have your current sticker on your plate? If so, then what is the big deal?

Take some responsibility for your actions and quit trying to shift the focus onto others for you getting caught.

Police enforce all laws, not just the ones you want them to.
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
The poll options are too one-sided LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1297 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Needs another option

5. I screwed up now I'm upset that I got caught.
Bill
My blog
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10836 posts
3121 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: Did you not have your current sticker on your plate? If so, then what is the big deal?

Take some responsibility for your actions and quit trying to shift the focus onto others for you getting caught.

Police enforce all laws, not just the ones you want them to.
+1

If you have a valid sticker, you won't have any problems. Why blame to others?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12003 posts
356 upvotes
3 years ago I missed my renewal because I moved and didn't get the letter to remind me.

You know what I did? It was awesomely cool....wait for it...

I slapped myself upside the head because the renewal date is ON MY DAMN BIRTHDAY and therefore pretty hard to forget. Then I paid the fine, got my new sticker, and didn't whine online about it.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2212 posts
1196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just be happy you made it all the way to quebec without getting a ticket. I'd never drive on a trip with an expired sticker.
:D
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3693 posts
113 upvotes
Sounds like traffic cops in Quebec are much like the ones here. A complete waste of everyone's time and money, while drug trafficking and violence continues due to a low police presence in high crime areas of the city.

I am so glad my tax money goes to paying cops to make sure I don't put a light around my license plate! Money well spent! :-0
Jun 8, 2007
981 posts
244 upvotes
Mississauga
Wreckless, eh?
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1308 posts
85 upvotes
I always thought you couldn't be ticketed for a non-moving ticket outside your home province? I guess it just applies only cross border.

Seems silly that the fine is nearly five times what it is in Ontario. Plus why would a Quebec officer have a vested interest in whether you pay your Ontario road tax, I don't see it happening the other way around.

FWIW: I've had a car for close to close to fifteen years and haven't applied the registration sticker once. Just buy it and keep it in the glovebox. Never been harrased or ticketed yet.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
TrevorK wrote: Police enforce all laws, not just the ones you want them to.
Wow, I finally know someone who never forgets! This guy didn't follow me into the parking lot. He comes regularly to score some big tickets.

In Ontario the fine is $110 (very reasonable) and they don't bother you till the next month.

If your ever in Quebec and see a drunk driving down the road, just head to the nearest parking lot! You'll surely find one raking in those big tickets!
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
Blueroom wrote: Needs another option

5. I screwed up now I'm upset that I got caught.
If it would have happened in Ontario.... Oh thats right it never would have happened in Ontario because it was still the same month as my birthday. And if it did happen in Ontario, it would have been $110, not half a grand!!!!!!

I'm upset because of the amount of $430 (the crime does not equal the punishment).

I'm upset that the Quebec cops spend much of their time looking for expired stickers rather than looking for dangerous/drunk drivers.

Everyone forgets and some people have medical conditions that cause it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6988 posts
1746 upvotes
T dot 6
$430 does seem extremely excessive. I think Ontario's $110 is much more reasonable
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
MP3_SKY wrote: +1

If you have a valid sticker, you won't have any problems. Why blame to others?
Thanks buddy I have a valid sticker now, but no thanks to a Quebec police officer. I didn't know I was ticketed until 2 weeks later when it came in the mail. I guess they were hoping to ticket me again!

I did get a friendly reminder in Ontario, ah because they don't use this law as a cashcow.

I blame the PQPD for running a cashcow operation. That's all it is and it doesn't do squat to protect anyone. What's that motto "To server and protect?" or has it been changed to "To serve the biggest fines and make the most money"
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
deep wrote: 3 years ago I missed my renewal because I moved and didn't get the letter to remind me.

You know what I did? It was awesomely cool....wait for it...

I slapped myself upside the head because the renewal date is ON MY DAMN BIRTHDAY and therefore pretty hard to forget. Then I paid the fine, got my new sticker, and didn't whine online about it.
At my age my birthday comes and goes like any other day. The form comes in the mail two months prior to my birthday and gets set aside.

Tell me, what are you going to do if Alzheimer's starts showing symptoms? You won't be able to whine online when you forget the sticker again, because you won't be able to find your computer!

P.S. I whining about the amount and the use of the law as a cashcow.