Automotive

Locked: $430 surprise in the mail after driving in Quebec.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2010 5:28 pm

Poll: Do you think it's right to have PQ cops spend hours searching for expired stickers?

• Total votes: 43. You have voted on this poll.
NO, they should be searching for wreckless and drunk drivers.

14%
NO. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with making money.

37%
YES, they need the money for more powerful Taser Guns.

26%
YES, they need the money, plus it's the safest place for them to be!

23%
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
qualsdad wrote: One thing for sure it won't happen in Quebec again! And I wouldn't have started this Topic if I got a $110 ticket in Ontario. That seems more reasonable than almost $500.
So you are upset that you were too ignorant to educate yourself on the laws that exist in the province you were traveling to?

Sounds like it's yourself you should be upset at. Not at other people who are just doing their job.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
qualsdad wrote: From what I understand, Ontario police don't waist their time plugging plate numbers into the computer to see if they've caught someone with an expired sticker. They just look at the sticker (Feb10 sticker in March will get you a $110 ticket). I guess they feel their time is better used keeping the roads safe!
I disagree. Many officers run plates on cars expiring that month. I had it happen to me just this year - York regional police pulled up next to me at a light and motioned for me to roll my window down.

him: "Your tag is expired."
me: "No, it's not."
him: "Yes, it is. It expires on your birthday, not at the end of the month"
me: "I know. My birthday is tomorrow."
him: "No, it's not. It was yesterday."
me (chuckling at this point): '"No, it's tomorrow. Today is the 10th."
him: "Really? I was sure today was the 12th."
me: "No, today's the 10th."
him: "Oh. Well, I wasn't going to give you a ticket anyway. Be sure to get it before tomorrow."
me: "Will do."
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
Why would anyone in Ontario want to visit the sheet-hole of a province anyway? :confused:
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
TrevorK wrote: So you are upset that you were too ignorant to educate yourself on the laws that exist in the province you were traveling to?

Sounds like it's yourself you should be upset at. Not at other people who are just doing their job.
Please forgive me for not memorizing all the traffic laws in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, New York, Pensylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Phew....

It wouldn't help me much if I did, cuz I'd just forget them! Ha Ha Ha....

Oh and yes I am upset at myself for forgetting, but I'm more upset at the amount on the ticket.

And I'm not upset at the officer who gave me a ticket. He's probably just trying to meet a quota set by someone higher up the ladder. I don't think they work on commission!
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
steve-0101 wrote: I disagree. Many officers run plates on cars expiring that month. I had it happen to me just this year - York regional police pulled up next to me at a light and motioned for me to roll my window down.

him: "Your tag is expired."
me: "No, it's not."
him: "Yes, it is. It expires on your birthday, not at the end of the month"
me: "I know. My birthday is tomorrow."
him: "No, it's not. It was yesterday."
me (chuckling at this point): '"No, it's tomorrow. Today is the 10th."
him: "Really? I was sure today was the 12th."
me: "No, today's the 10th."
him: "Oh. Well, I wasn't going to give you a ticket anyway. Be sure to get it before tomorrow."
me: "Will do."
Thanks. It's nice to know that they will run the plates on occasion. It's also nice to know that he gave you a reminder and not a ticket.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
I'd like to re-phrase.

"Damn, you're a whiner. Yes, indeed."

Seriously, OP, for someone who is making allusions to the fact that they are quite old, you are acting like a child. Move on.
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
deep wrote: I'd like to re-phrase.

"Damn, you're a whiner. Yes, indeed."

Seriously, OP, for someone who is making allusions to the fact that they are quite old, you are acting like a child. Move on.
Your finding it hard to walk away from this topic aren't you? Atta Boy! or...
Atta Girl!

Take your blood pressure and let me know what your at. I'll do the same, but mine will be pretty normal. It looks as though the majority think this $430 infraction is all about making money!

I've already reached my goals regarding this topic!
- I blew off steam.
- I learned something from the intelligent posters.
- Others have been informed about the infraction in question.
- Oh and I created my first Topic over 4 pages long (Ok most of the posts are mine but hey it's been a fun way to spend a day off!)

Oh by the way, how come your posting during the day? No job or are you doing this from work?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
Another case of people in Quebec trying to get more money out of the rest of HARD WORKING CANADIANS. Canadians work hard, while people in quebec eat "equalization" payments and violate the charter.

Hey OP don't get discouraged by ppl on RFD, your right, they need to send their cops to do something more important.

America dosent usually give Canadian tourists tickets for parking and what not, because they needs tourists. THis dosent apply to Quebec since they can live off our taxes., which we make off our hard work.

Canadians need to realize theres something wrong in Canada when people in quebec get the most money, JUST BECAUSE THEIR FRENCH!
Jan 7, 2009
568 posts
I hope this thread gets locked fast as it looks like a trolling thread now
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1225 posts
174 upvotes
Maedhros wrote: Another case of people in Quebec trying to get more money out of the rest of HARD WORKING CANADIANS. Canadians work hard, while people in quebec eat "equalization" payments and violate the charter.

Hey OP don't get discouraged by ppl on RFD, your right, they need to send their cops to do something more important.

America dosent usually give Canadian tourists tickets for parking and what not, because they needs tourists. THis dosent apply to Quebec since they can live off our taxes., which we make off our hard work.

Canadians need to realize theres something wrong in Canada when people in quebec get the most money, JUST BECAUSE THEIR FRENCH!
Yeah but you come over from stripclub so your arguments are void. :twisted:
As for the OP, yeah 430$ is stupidly too high. There is a lot of abuse in the transport system. Too much lobbying and bad peoples managing it. But then again it's your fault.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2740 posts
318 upvotes
The $430 is a bit much.
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
Maedhros wrote: Another case of people in Quebec trying to get more money out of the rest of HARD WORKING CANADIANS. Canadians work hard, while people in quebec eat "equalization" payments and violate the charter.

I've sent an email to the Ministry of Tourism for Quebec to get their viewpoint if they have one.
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
Psycho77 wrote: Yeah but you come over from stripclub so your arguments are void. :twisted:
As for the OP, yeah 430$ is stupidly too high. There is a lot of abuse in the transport system. Too much lobbying and bad peoples managing it. But then again it's your fault.
Unfortunately it's the people of Quebec who will suffer because of the abuse you talk about.

I loved spending time in Gaspe! I would go to the same little restaurant everyday for dinner. They were very happy to see me spending my money in their restaurant because business was very slow.

I'd love to go again, but not if the government is going to gouge me with huge fines that are 4 times more than other provinces.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
You made a $430 mistake. Hopefully next time you won't forget and get into tantrums on an internet forum.
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
thumper80 wrote: I hope this thread gets locked fast as it looks like a trolling thread now
Ok so this is your second post to this topic.

The first was about impounding my car???????????

The second about hoping the thread gets locked????????????

Here's some advice....

If you don't like the topic, just ignore it and all the posts.

....impounding my car?????????

Note to all: Please post your age bracket so we can gauge your response!

Ah just kidding! .....impounding my car???????????
Just kidding again! .....impounding my car???????????

Boy this is fun!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
qualsdad wrote: Ok so this is your second post to this topic.

The first was about impounding my car???????????

The second about hoping the thread gets locked????????????

Here's some advice....

If you don't like the topic, just ignore it and all the posts.

....impounding my car?????????

Note to all: Please post your age bracket so we can gauge your response!

Ah just kidding! .....impounding my car???????????
Just kidding again! .....impounding my car???????????

Boy this is fun!
Someone is going crazy....
Dec 13, 2008
46 posts
1 upvote
canada
mkerian wrote: You made a $430 mistake. Hopefully next time you won't forget and get into tantrums on an internet forum.
Oh no don't tell me that your another one that never forgets? Wait a minute..

Do you perhaps have gray wrinkly skin, big ears and a trunk?

Do you eat a lot of Peanuts?

How do you manage typing on that keyboard in front of you?

:lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
Take...Accountability...For...Your...OWN...Actions
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Let's see if I understand correctly. You got a warning in Ontario, but you still continued to drive without a valid plate sticker, drove into another province and got a ticket there and now you are upset at the police officer for doing his job and at anyone who agrees with him. You got a break when you got the warning but you didn't bother to remedy the problem and now you are upset that you got a ticket.

As for memorizing the laws of other jurisdictions where you drive, perhaps you should start by learning the laws of the jurisdiction where you are licensed. As others have pointed out, your license plate expires on your birthday not at the end of the month. It is usually written all over the renewal documents you receive in the mail. You were driving with an expired plate so suck it up and pay the fine.

As for forgetting, how much easier could they make it for you, it expires on your birthday! You even got a reminder with the warning so there really is no excuse for this. Next time, renew on time and you won't have any problems.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)