• Jan 31st, 2020 10:34 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9134 upvotes
Toronto

468,000 Subaru vehicles from 2017 to 2019 are subject to 2 different recalls

NOTE: Says in the US, Impreza and Crosstrek.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/10/24/ ... s-trouble/

DETROIT — Subaru is recalling over 400,000 vehicles in the U.S. to fix problems with engine computers and debris that can fall into motors.

The first recall covers 466,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019, and 2018 and 2019 Crosstreks. Subaru says the engine computer can keep powering the ignition coil after motors are shut off. That could cause a short circuit and blown fuse.

Dealers will update software and replace coils and front exhaust pipes if needed.

The second covers 205,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019 and 2018 Crosstreks. The aluminum positive crankcase ventilation valves can fall apart. Debris can enter the engine and cause power loss.

Dealers will replace valves if needed. If a valve has separated and parts can’t be found, engines will be replaced.

Both recalls start Dec. 13.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
54 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9134 upvotes
Toronto
aznblade wrote: oh boy
Nothing serious in all seriousness. At least it's proactive!

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22095 posts
2763 upvotes
They need to get their QC under control
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
george__ wrote: They need to get their QC under control
More so with the first recall as the software was developed inhouse...

In the second recall, the part of supplied by a 3rd party and according to current best practices (ie Six Sigma or one of the various offshoots), Subaru only needs to set up the parts requirements while the parts supplier does the actual QC and supplies Subaru with the documentation that the QC was done. While it might sound like a good idea for Subaru to double-check the work done by the parts supplier, Six Sigma actually classifies that as rework and rework is frowned upon by the process as they believe it's not necessary as the original supplier should have done that work already.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4819 posts
765 upvotes
Burlington
Another Impreza recall? Have mine scheduled to go under the knife for the valve spring recall.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tha_Doggg wrote: Another Impreza recall? Have mine scheduled to go under the knife for the valve spring recall.
So Subaru Canada has actually started to contact owners for appointments?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4819 posts
765 upvotes
Burlington
craftsman wrote: So Subaru Canada has actually started to contact owners for appointments?
The valve spring recall is from March, have to wait until December to get it done.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36180 posts
10314 upvotes
Ottawa
So, how long before Subaru Canada implements the recall?
Canada sometimes does not get the recalls that the US does (on all brands, not just Subaru).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9134 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: So, how long before Subaru Canada implements the recall?
Canada sometimes does not get the recalls that the US does (on all brands, not just Subaru).
No clue. And you're right on that recalls vary by country.

I've had a pissing match with Suzuki Canada over the ISCV recall from the US on the gsxr but it never happened in Canada and it was a continued issue after the k7s.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tha_Doggg wrote: The valve spring recall is from March, have to wait until December to get it done.
Yes. I'm subject to that recall as well. But the last I've heard from Subaru Canada was to wait for them to contact me which was way back when they sent out the original letter advising of the problem.

Did they reach out to you or did you contact them to set up the appointment?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: So, how long before Subaru Canada implements the recall?
It might come down to having the parts on hand (or close to hand) and the complexity of the work. Two good examples are the recent valve spring recall and the brake light switch. The valve spring recall is taking a LOOONNNGGGG time to complete (or even book) as the complexity of the recall is high but the brake light switch is fast. I suspect that if they have the software upgrade ready that should be available shortly as it would only involve a flashing of the software and a test drive. At the same time as the software upgrade, it would not be too far of a stretch to at least inspect, if not replace, the PCV valve. I suspect that if the PCV valve had cracked, that you should see that CEL come on along with a number of other issues happening.
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
361 upvotes
koffey wrote: No clue. And you're right on that recalls vary by country.

I've had a pissing match with Suzuki Canada over the ISCV recall from the US on the gsxr but it never happened in Canada and it was a continued issue after the k7s.
So true, the Subaru I have at my place in another country has no recalls ever in it's history, even though every single part (even the ECU) is the same as in Canada.

As for the Suzuki, I remember reading about that issue and I thought for sure Suzuki Canada would step up and deal with it even if a recall wasn't issued (forced or voluntary). I'm a bit surprised as I've always considered Suzuki to be a very reputable company to deal with.
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
361 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Yes. I'm subject to that recall as well. But the last I've heard from Subaru Canada was to wait for them to contact me which was way back when they sent out the original letter advising of the problem.

If I were you, next time you are anywhere near a dealership stop in and talk to the service manager. The service manager might be busy, you may have to wait a few minutes to talk to them to express your concerns regarding waiting so long to be contacted again about your recall notice. Have them run your VIN and ask when the earliest possible appointment to service the outstanding recalls would be? They will likely have to order parts if they are available, but at least with the service manager you will get a straight answer and they will become aware of the issue if they weren't already.

Service advisors, and mechanics (who usually get paid less to do warranty and recall jobs in general) aren't as bothered about recalls as booking maintenance and out of warranty labour. But a service manager in my experience seem to take greater responsibility on the whole for customer satisfaction. In fact, there was a service manager at one dealership who was so well respected by the manufacturer (and myself) that I and my family became loyal to that dealership, once he retired however everything changed. Developing a relationship with a service manager can totally change a customer's experience with dealers.

Just my $0.02 though.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4819 posts
765 upvotes
Burlington
craftsman wrote: Yes. I'm subject to that recall as well. But the last I've heard from Subaru Canada was to wait for them to contact me which was way back when they sent out the original letter advising of the problem.

I got the same letter as you but then got tired of waiting. Called them up late May and got appointment in December lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nffclsr wrote: If I were you, next time you are anywhere near a dealership stop in and talk to the service manager. The service manager might be busy, you may have to wait a few minutes to talk to them to express your concerns regarding waiting so long to be contacted again about your recall notice. Have them run your VIN and ask when the earliest possible appointment to service the outstanding recalls would be? They will likely have to order parts if they are available, but at least with the service manager you will get a straight answer and they will become aware of the issue if they weren't already.

Service advisors, and mechanics (who usually get paid less to do warranty and recall jobs in general) aren't as bothered about recalls as booking maintenance and out of warranty labour. But a service manager in my experience seem to take greater responsibility on the whole for customer satisfaction. In fact, there was a service manager at one dealership who was so well respected by the manufacturer (and myself) that I and my family became loyal to that dealership, once he retired however everything changed. Developing a relationship with a service manager can totally change a customer's experience with dealers.

Just my $0.02 though.
I DIY the regular maintenance so I don't necessarily drop into my dealership for much unless I have to order parts. I know that my local dealership's service manager recently changed (at least according to those SPAM e-mails about booking a regular maintenance appointments).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16717 posts
9493 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tha_Doggg wrote: I got the same letter as you but then got tired of waiting. Called them up late May and got appointment in December lol.
So basically nothing has changed and they are taking their own sweet time.... :(
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9134 upvotes
Toronto
nffclsr wrote:

As for the Suzuki, I remember reading about that issue and I thought for sure Suzuki Canada would step up and deal with it even if a recall wasn't issued (forced or voluntary). I'm a bit surprised as I've always considered Suzuki to be a very reputable company to deal with.
I would totally agree however SCanada sent me a beautiful letter telling me to **** off. Considering that the issue spanned multiple MY since Suzuki integrated the k7 1000 isc into the k8/k9+ 600/750/1000/1300. I shit myself when people try to blame after market levers.

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36180 posts
10314 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote: It might come down to having the parts on hand (or close to hand) and the complexity of the work. Two good examples are the recent valve spring recall and the brake light switch. The valve spring recall is taking a LOOONNNGGGG time to complete (or even book) as the complexity of the recall is high but the brake light switch is fast. I suspect that if they have the software upgrade ready that should be available shortly as it would only involve a flashing of the software and a test drive. At the same time as the software upgrade, it would not be too far of a stretch to at least inspect, if not replace, the PCV valve. I suspect that if the PCV valve had cracked, that you should see that CEL come on along with a number of other issues happening.
I think my point was basically that the US gets recalls but Canada does not. The NHTSA is more stringent and forces manufacturers into making decisions or taking action but in Canada, Transport Canada seems lax.
I had a CR-V with the oil dilution issue and in the US there were several recalls but in Canada, none. We had to go and ask for a software update.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.