Expired Hot Deals

[Entertainment] $49 for 8 days land tour in Shanghai & several neighbouring chinese cities

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 9:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes

[Entertainment] $49 for 8 days land tour in Shanghai & several neighbouring chinese cities

I found this ad in many travel agencies in many canadian cities, and the price is unreasonably cheap because the price includes the local "5-star" hotels, 3 meals daily, tour guide and local transportation for the whole 8 days. What is not included is the airfare to/from shanghai from many canadian cities (montreal, ottawa, toronto, etc), tips, insurance, etc. I heard from friends that these deals have been around for a couple of years, real and sponsored by the local merchants and government.

TOURS BEING ADVERTISED BY TRAVEL AGENCIES:

$99 FOR 10 DAYS (BEIJING, SHANGHAI, WUXI, WESTLAKE, ETC)
http://www.cytstours.com/tripShow.aspx?tid=52

$99 - 7 DAY CHINA TOUR
http://www.extragreen.com.au/7dayhuatung.htm

$99 - TOURS WRITTEN IN CHINESE TO DIFFERENT CHINA LOCATIONS
http://www.riversky.com/99.html

I just called a travel agency, located in san francisco, and the rep told me that these cheap tours may have 2 to 3 store visits daily (so expect the morning sightseeing, afternoon store/factory visits, and evening entertainment or personal time), while the regular price ($1,000+) tours take u to one store visit daily. However, both stay in similar "5 star hotels."

I personally went to travel china a few times in the past - twice on my own, one time on an expensive (thousands $) guided tour, and one time was similar to these cheap tours. In my view, these tours are still a good deal IF:

a) you have spare time and dont mind half an afternoon to whole afternoon in shopping or watching product demonstration, with sightseeings in the morning, late afternoon and entertainment in the evenings, i.e., u dont need to sightsee the whole day,
b) you dont bother to do it on your own to arrange hotels, ground transportation and sightseeing, and pay many times more money,
c) you have never been to these places before and like to see them for the first time,
d) u dont mind the chinese food (generally american/chinese buffet in the morning at the hotel, but chinese meals for lunch and dinner in a restaurant while on the road), and
e) you have self control not to buy the generally overpriced merchandise during the store visits (although they may be fun to watch, e.g., pretty and tall "So Chow" girls (known to be the prettiest in china) on cat-walk to sell silk dresses, tour of tea farm & tea leaves processing, OR they could be scary, e.g., a chinese medical doctor performs a free medical check up on you and then tries to sell you his expensive chinese herbs to heal you for "diseases not known to you". But, there is no requirement by the tour company that u need to buy anything during the trip.

HERE ARE TWO YOUTUBE TRAVEL VIDEOS OF PEOPLE WHO WENT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTSQ6rPmf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbML3ggZUgw
238 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
CDN_Blizzard wrote: It looks like for travel only in 1970?

that is for travel this year 2012, as i do see a few travel agencies advertising this deal this week.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2004 posts
904 upvotes
Ontario
It excludes air fare, tour guide fees, entertainment fees, visa application fees or administration surcharge, but it does include hotel (two persons to a room). It seems like a great deal but make sure you read all the fine prints and get all the details.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: It excludes air fare, tour guide fees, entertainment fees, visa application fees or administration surcharge, but it does include hotel (two persons to a room). It seems like a great deal but make sure you read all the fine printes and get all the details.

the guide fee is tips to the tour guide and bus driver, the entertertainment fee for some expensive shows in the evening is optional, but the $49 does include all 3 meals daily and all ground transportation, hotels plus airport pickup.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1878 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
fatpiggy wrote: good deal if you don't mind spending 1/2 of your time visiting shops and factories.

Perhaps someone who has been to these tours can elaborate on it. I have read news articles in the past about these tour guides try to make you buy stuff from these shops.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2759 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you will be spending at least 8 hours a day in their designated shops. And if you don't buy enough then you are not allow to leave the ships......... this is what happened in Hong Kong.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
fatkinglet wrote: Yes, you will be spending at least 8 hours a day in their designated shops. And if you don't buy enough then you are not allow to leave the ships......... this is what happened in Hong Kong.

this is not i heard, but they do bring u to a store or factory during part of afternoon, after taking u sightseeing in the morning and feeding u lunch, plus there is generally charge or no charge entertainment in the evening. So, your 8 hrs daily in shops and not allowing to leave the shops are an exageration, and the fine prints dont say u have to buy anything.

Granted, I have not been to this particular trip in the last two years. But, I did go to a similar one back in 2005 from HK paying about cdn$300(HK$1800), but the price includes a return airfare from hk to shanghai which easily cost cdn$300 at that time. Admissions all included, except one big impressive las vegas like show in one evening costing about cdn$15. During the trip, I was taken to stores or factories, eg., to a textile store where some pretty chinese girls demonstrate some chinese clothing, in part of afternoon, but i didnt buy anything. I did enjoy that 2005 trip tremendously as it was my first trip in china, as i was impressed with the booming shanghai scenery and some cultural places like confucius temple, water village, etc.

Therefore, for first timer to china, or for someone who has free time or retired or on the way to other parts of asia, these trip offers are good.
May 4, 2004
432 posts
80 upvotes
yes, you don't have to buy, but if you can bear with the bad face and words, and your valuable time.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
fatpiggy wrote: good deal if you don't mind spending 1/2 of your time visiting shops and factories.

Pretty much what I was thinking. If I travelled all the way to Shanghai it would be to visit Shanghai, not smaller surrounding cities. It's like going to Mexico and wasting your time visiting the timeshares that local street vendors push. No thanks.

Now if they could subsidise the flight to Shanghai/HK instead... I'd love to visit and see the old European Quarter, if the price was right.

(Saw it in Spielberg's excellent Empire of the Sun, before Shanghai started its huge renovations. Hopefully the Quarter remains mostly untouched).
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
1030 posts
118 upvotes
these tours do force you to listen to hard sales at stores/shops where they make commissions for the tour money. but 8 hrs is an exaggeration, i would say realistically around 4 hours including travel time to those stores. that said, ALOT of asian tours do this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
Here are some facts on the table, wasn't going to post but others around spreading too much rumor and mis-information. Note, I didn't go on these myself but at least 7~8 of my friends and they all said good things so here is the break down.

These tours are organized with the help of the Chinese governments. The purpose isn't on making money, enrich the sponsors but are designed for mostly for people with a foreign passport to explore china, search roots or take home the message about new China.

So, it is different than the "shopping" tours popular in Asia and people please don't mix it up. These tours generally have great tour guides, you will live in multiple star hotels and served good food.

From all I heard, they are awesome deals for what you paid. The only down side is, typically cheap tour attracts a different group of people to join, if you know what I mean. Like most group tour, the enjoyment of the tour depends a lot on the group you are traveling with but more so on these tours.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
1015 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Tips is usually a mandatory $10/day for people who are wondering.
Heatware/HoFo upon request
May 17, 2008
220 posts
29 upvotes
It's subsidized by the Chinese Governments to show the foreigners how good and fast the development in China is. It's kind of political propaganda.

Don't need to worry too much. You'll be treated as VIP. It's a good deal.