PC & Video Games

$499.99 PS4 Pro / $379.99 PS4 Slim (Available Nov. 10th) - HDR on All PS4 Models w/ FW 4.00

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2016 8:45 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough

$499.99 PS4 Pro / $379.99 PS4 Slim (Available Nov. 10th) - HDR on All PS4 Models w/ FW 4.00

Watch the Playstation Meeting Live Sept. 7th @ 3PM EST

live.playstation.com
Sony is developing an upgraded version of its PlayStation 4 gaming console that will offer ultra-high definition 4K resolution and richer graphics, according to the unit’s chief executive, as the company strives to maintain its lead over rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The plan marks the first time that Sony has improved the processing power of a PlayStation midway through the usual console cycle, as it looks to keep up with the more rapid pace of product launches in the smartphone and PC sectors.

Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.

“It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.

As well as new hardware, Sony is also seeking to broaden the appeal of the PS4 through new services such as its PS Vue internet TV and a PS Music partnership with Spotify, the streaming company.

Reports of the new console emerged in March on gaming news site Kotaku after Sony began talking to developers about creating games that were compatible with the improved hardware.

Anticipation intensified ahead of next week’s E3 gaming conference in Los Angeles, where Microsoft is also believed to be planning to launch an updated Xbox One console.

However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.

“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

Both PS4 variants will also support its forthcoming virtual reality headset, which will go on sale later this year.

Developers should also see a “seamless” experience between the two versions, he said, requiring a “small but manageable” amount of extra work when creating a game for both.

Mr House did not go as far as Xbox chief Phil Spencer in saying that consoles would become more like PCs, seeing regular improvements to their components rather than jumping between generations as they have for the last 30 years, he saw an opportunity to deliver “some additional benefits” to both consumers and developers within what is usually a five to six year lifespan.

“The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs,” Mr House said.

Despite a resurgence in PC gaming and the popularity of smartphone games such as Angry Birds and Candy Crush Saga, PlayStation 4 become Sony’s fastest-selling console yet, reaching cumulative sales of 40m last month — far ahead of its rivals. Analysts at IHS, a consultancy, estimate that Microsoft’s Xbox One had sold 21m units at the end of March, while sales of Nintendo’s Wii U have struggled.

Even as overall console sales growth in the US, the largest gaming market, slowed in May, according to market researcher NPD, PS4 continued to grow, boosted by the success of its new Uncharted 4 game, which is not available on other platforms.

As with the current PS4 and its forthcoming VR headset, the new console will be “standalone profitable at the time that we launch it”, Mr House said. In past generations, Sony subsidised the cost of the console in the hopes of turning a profit through software sales. The investment required to develop the new PS4 is already accounted for in Sony’s latest financial results, he added.
https://next.ft.com/content/aca45ff2-2e ... 294ad519fc
Last edited by TDotHacker on Sep 7th, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.
338 replies
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm going to howl with laughter if this gets listed at $999 or higher.

I can't fathom spending that much on a console.

Also, 4K graphics when their console can barely hit 1080p/60fps? When a PC can barely do 4K graphics with the high end cards? Somethings fishy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
Yea because its gonna cost $999 lol
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
TDotHacker wrote: Yea because its gonna cost $999 lol
Yeah cause you're going to get 4K gaming at $450.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
squadz wrote: Yeah cause you're going to get 4K gaming at $450.
Who says 4K has to be for gaming. You know people still watch TV shows and movies, right? And youd have to be a moron to think Sony is gonna price a console anything even close to $999.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
TDotHacker wrote: Who says 4K has to be for gaming. You know people still watch TV shows and movies, right?
You're completely right, my fault.

I thought a gaming console marketed towards hardcore gamers would have more features for those gamers. I just re-read the post, and they seem to be indeed speaking about 4K content, non-gaming things.

Silly me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
squadz wrote: You're completely right, my fault.

I thought a gaming console marketed towards hardcore gamers would have more features for those gamers. I just re-read the post, and they seem to be indeed speaking about 4K content, non-gaming things.

Silly me.
The 4K aspect and UHD is just an added feature and not the primary focus. In terms of hardcore gamers, its the improved hardware that will appeal to them. Even if that means we now can finally hit 1080p60fps on ultra settings or something like that. 4K for gaming is definately not gonna happen. At least not with AAA games. Maybe some simple games like Tetris or something..
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2061 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Kind of a disappointment that they won't be showing it at E3 next week.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
TDotHacker wrote: The 4K aspect and UHD is just an added feature and not the primary focus. In terms of hardcore gamers, its the improved hardware that will appeal to them. Even if that means we now can finally hit 1080p60fps on ultra settings or something like that. 4K for gaming is definately not gonna happen. At least not with AAA games. Maybe some simple games like Tetris or something..
Hopefully. Uncharted 4 showed that you can make a great looking game using existing hardware, so it's sort of weird no other developers are doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4610 posts
1521 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if Sony caught wind of Microsoft's supposed "6 teraflops" target for Scorpio, so now they're retooling to be more competitive?

We might be seeing the start of a console cold war arms race... where nobody actually unveils anything and secretly works to outdo the other in terms of theoretical power...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8671 posts
1856 upvotes
It won't be doing 4K gaming, when they say 4K console, it's a misnomer and it's referring to 4K video output. There's absolutely no way they can do 4K gaming on a console and keep it affordable (under $1K).

There's been a lot of analysis done on the specs (which have been out for weeks), and it's expected the new PS4 will easily do 1080p/60 on the equivalent of high to ultra settings on the PC or 1440p/30.

If they can keep the price point pretty much the same as the regular PS4, that'll actually be good value for that performance. I'm going to guess PS4 Neo will be ~$100 more, which would be a good price point.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4610 posts
1521 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: It won't be doing 4K gaming, when they say 4K console, it's a misnomer and it's referring to 4K video output. There's absolutely no way they can do 4K gaming on a console and keep it affordable (under $1K).

There's been a lot of analysis done on the specs (which have been out for weeks), and it's expected the new PS4 will easily do 1080p/60 on the equivalent of high to ultra settings on the PC or 1440p/30.

If they can keep the price point pretty much the same as the regular PS4, that'll actually be good value for that performance. I'm going to guess PS4 Neo will be ~$100 more, which would be a good price point.
Yup, this was mentioned above... I hope people aren't expecting 4k gaming out of a console. TBH I don't really care about 4k console gaming anyway - I'm perfectly fine with the 1080p tv and don't see a need for more.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
Stillborn ... if they are going to continue to sell regular PS4s.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2014 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the PS4 Neo may not even hit the shelves this year.

I don't see it as a huge or controversial update. Sony is not going to shoot themselves on the foot by making games on the PS4 Neo run drastically better than the regular PS4. Especially with the amount of regular PS4s sold by the time the Neo hits the market.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2014 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: It won't be doing 4K gaming, when they say 4K console, it's a misnomer and it's referring to 4K video output. There's absolutely no way they can do 4K gaming on a console and keep it affordable (under $1K).

This!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
Winkle wrote: If they can keep the price point pretty much the same as the regular PS4, that'll actually be good value for that performance. I'm going to guess PS4 Neo will be ~$100 more, which would be a good price point.
I'm thinking $400-450 USD and the Base PS4 goes to $250-300 USD (with a game).
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2390 posts
394 upvotes
squadz wrote: Also, 4K graphics when their console can barely hit 1080p/60fps? When a PC can barely do 4K graphics with the high end cards? Somethings fishy.
It's going to be 4K video streaming and blu-ray or something. There's no way they're pushing 4K for games.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Ascott wrote: It's going to be 4K video streaming and blu-ray or something. There's no way they're pushing 4K for games.
Yeah, I misread.

But honestly, my sub $100 Roku does that and better, not sure if that should be a touted feature.

I'd prefer my gaming consoles to be more tailored towards gaming. Crazy, I know, but these extras don't interest me much - and if they're marketing towards someone like myself, or people in this forum (hardcore gamers), then I can't see many more people caring either.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8671 posts
1856 upvotes
TDotHacker wrote: I'm thinking $400-450 USD and the Base PS4 goes to $250-300 USD (with a game).
$450 USD would make it ~$600 CAD.

That's really not bad at all for a machine that can do 1080p/60 consistently on high to ultra graphics.
squadz wrote: But honestly, my sub $100 Roku does that and better, not sure if that should be a touted feature.
To be fair on this matter, your Roku is streaming 4K which is compressed to save on bandwidth. We're talking full, uncompressed 4K video output from Blu-Ray in regards to PS4 Neo so we're talking better image fidelity, higher dynamic range etc.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Winkle wrote: $450 USD would make it ~$600 CAD.

That's really not bad at all for a machine that can do 1080p/60 consistently on high to ultra graphics.

To be fair on this matter, your Roku is streaming 4K which is compressed to save on bandwidth. We're talking full, uncompressed 4K video output from Blu-Ray in regards to PS4 Neo so we're talking better image fidelity, higher dynamic range etc.
Hypothetically.

Everyone thought the PS4 would do 1080/60fps out the gate, and look what happened.

I'll believe things when I see them. Right now, it's like Ubisoft just released a trailer at E3.