Entertainment

4DX at Cineplex Yonge & Dundas (Toronto)

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2017 9:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8569 upvotes
GTHA

4DX at Cineplex Yonge & Dundas (Toronto)

Link: http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/4dx

Toronto getting 4D cinemas with snow & moving chairs
Toronto already has swanky VIP cinemas with reclining chairs and an in-seat bar service. But now Cineplex is taking the movie theatre experience to the next level with immersive 4DX technology.

The Canadian company has partnered with South Korean organization CJ 4DPLEX to bring 4DX to Toronto's Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas this summer. And what's so special about 4DX?

According to a Cineplex press release, "new 4DX auditorium will feature specially-designed motion chairs and environmental effects like wind, mist, bubbles, snow and scent working in perfect synchronicity with the action on the big screen."

While Smell-O-Vision never took off, 3D movies certainly seem to have staying power so perhaps 4DX will make summer blockbusters like Suicide Squad even cooler. Although the tickling and water effects sound rather unsettling.

Anyone been to a 4DX theatre overseas?
Last edited by tk1000 on Nov 4th, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1476 posts
461 upvotes
4d is awful, tried it in Florida Universal studio
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13360 posts
2700 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Yup, movie tickets now gonna be $25 bux a pop. Thanks geniuses. The cinema industry keep stepping on their own foot to lose revenue. They do a great job at that.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1189 posts
1062 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Fun for 5 minutes of Shrek or Minions at a theme park, but think it would get tired quickly during a 2 hour movie.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4770 posts
206 upvotes
Guelph
i agree, seems like a gimmick. they need to invest in more laser imax screens.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22303 posts
26613 upvotes
Toronto
Tried it for first time last weekend at Yonge/Dundas, Rogue One screening.

The only thing you can control is water effects on or off. You cannot adjust intensity of the other stuff or turn them off all together.

Very gimmicky. Took me out of the movie a few times. Also the fog effect is lame, just a puff at front right of auditorium. I can understand them not wanting to obscure screen but why have it all in that case?

Another crappy unintended consequence - in Cinema 14 directly above the 4Dx one you can sometime feel your seats vibrate quite a bit due to action in room below. This was very distracting and I've let Cineplex know (no response yet).
Ye wife is in me dms baby.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4051 posts
1458 upvotes
They had this at Lego land when I brought me son in the summer for their 10 minute movie. It was in 3D, had bubbles, moving seats and air effects. I thought it was fun and it was perfect for the 10 minutes, anything longer than that and I don't think I could stand it.
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
333 upvotes
I saw Dr Strange last year in 4DX, and I agree that it is more distracting than anything else. Every time there was shaking, I couldn't wait for it to be over. The screen is tiny. Plus the rain effect splotches up your 3D glasses. Stick with IMAX if you want a premium movie experience.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9514 posts
1490 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was told it's mildly popular in Korea and well received, but it's also cheaper than a D-BOX ticket here...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1854 upvotes
Ajax
This has been used by Disney, universal etc. for a number of years. Anything more than 20 mins of it becomes repetitive and boring. When they build specific experiences using it, it is pretty good. But just trying to put any movie in the same space with it, will do nothing really.

True IMAX is still the best movie going experience IMO.