• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 3:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2016
65 posts
50 upvotes

4K 27" monitor for office use: high brightness, up to $600 CAD

Hey all,

My work, to support "working from home", is giving us an allowance to purchase things for home use. My desk has everything I need, but lacks a good monitor... And so I'm looking for the best monitor I can get for $600 CAD.

What I require:
  • High quality, colour-accurate-ish 4k monitor with great sRGB coverage. I play video games on my TV, so this will be an office-first monitor.
  • Brightness of at least 400 nits. This is important - I have windows behind my desk, and anything dimmer is painful to work with when it's bright outside.

What I want, but could be omitted if other qualities are amazing:
  • HDR400 or better, with support for wide colour gamut
  • Adjustable stand for height/tilt adjustment

What I'd like, but I understand might not be possible given the price range
  • Proper 10bit panel
  • Variable refresh rate (I don't care about high refresh rate, since my GTX 1060 can barely reach 60fps on modern AAA titles. I don't play online games.)
  • USB-C input with power delivery so I can charge my laptop. 100W preferred, 60W might be enough.
  • Colour-accurate AdobeRGB and P3 colour support. I don't do any colour sensitive work, but hey, it would be nice to have.

I really like the LG 27UL850-W, but it's slightly over my price range: https://www.amazon.ca/LG-27UL650-W-Moni ... T1W65?th=1
And the 650-W (which only differs from the 850-W in lack of USB-C) was on a great sale, but I missed it: https://ca.***************.com/product/B07MKT2BNB

Any other suggestions?
4 replies
May 11, 2020
15 posts
16 upvotes
Why don't you pick up the 27uk850 if $600 is a hard limit, it' basically the same monitor.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7022 posts
1779 upvotes
T dot 6
Just something to keep in mind is that at 4k on a 27" the font is going to be very small. Sharp, but small. You can increase the scaling but some apps have issues with that or need to be adjusted independently.

Personally I would look for a 32" or larger at 4k but that's outside your budget. If you have good eyes and are close to the screen it shouldn't be an issue, just something to be aware of.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck