• Feb 22nd, 2018 10:57 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14508 posts
8427 upvotes
Southern Ontario

4K media player for RV - USB content?

Out of the loop on this, getting a 4K TV for our family RV. Will bring 4K content on a HDD, what's a good media player?
There's space to put it in the notch underneath:
Thanks!

15 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12319 posts
1869 upvotes
Kanata
An android box will do that just fine. Something with a S905/S905x/S912, and then media player of your choosing (kodi is popular for this)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21558 posts
3459 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Do you ever plan on playing 4K netflix? If you do, look at the FireTV or MiBox. If not, any Android Box will do it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14508 posts
8427 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Come to think of it, are there any 4K TV's that play directly off USB thumb/HDD containing 4K content, mp4 I'm assuming?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21558 posts
3459 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Sorry Ancaster, I forgot to reply to your earlier post. Yes, the FireTV and MiBox are allowed by Netflix to display 4K content. The one that can is the ShieldTV but it's a lot more expensive. It's better overall, but more expensive. I personally don't know of any TV's that can play all content. I know some smart TV's are powered by AndroidTV but I don't know if that means you can install any AndroidTV app on said TV. Perhaps someone else here has more experience with smart TV's.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14508 posts
8427 upvotes
Southern Ontario
So a Mi Box 3 will let me plug in an HDD via USB, play 4K mp4 and mkv video files on a 4K TV in the RV (no network), and if I decide to take it out of the RV and use it at home, it will also do youtube/Netflix 4K?

Do I need to install Kodi? I've got it installed on a couple of Nexus Players, but I'm lazy lol, I don't need that kind of interface and cover art in the RV.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21558 posts
3459 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I don't have any downloaded 4K content. I just stream from Netflix and Youtube. Are the files on this site equivalent to what you're going to try and play? http://4ksamples.com

I can download a sample and test it on my 4K TV. You can use either Kodi or VLC to play the Video. Both can be downloaded from the Android Playstore on the MiBox. Kodi would need to be side loaded on the FireTV. If you install Kodi you shouldn't need to install any addons to play the the files from an HDD, so the install isn't complicated at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1399 posts
1179 upvotes
VANCOUVER
If money isn't a major issue and you want it to just work, then just get a $200 Nvidia shield tv.

Any other option will be full of compromises. Whether it be YouTube / Netflix issues, HDCP handshaking issues (Mi box), or just a general lack of updates.

When you're on vacation, do you really want to troubleshoot?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
If that's the size of your TV, you won't notice whether content is 4K or 1080p. Don't worry about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3644 posts
1190 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: If that's the size of your TV, you won't notice whether content is 4K or 1080p. Don't worry about it.
This.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1399 posts
1179 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Exp315 wrote: If that's the size of your TV, you won't notice whether content is 4K or 1080p. Don't worry about it.
This is very true.

But most of your content is already 4k or a combination of, then it'd be nice to have one hard drive / catalog of content.

The shield will play everything. And has Kodi in the play store. Click install, 30 seconds of config since you don't care about art, and just set it to list and done.

Don't get a fire TV. It needs an internet connection. Surprised no one mentioned it before...
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21558 posts
3459 upvotes
Niagara Falls
b31770 wrote: This is very true.

But most of your content is already 4k or a combination of, then it'd be nice to have one hard drive / catalog of content.

The shield will play everything. And has Kodi in the play store. Click install, 30 seconds of config since you don't care about art, and just set it to list and done.

Don't get a fire TV. It needs an internet connection. Surprised no one mentioned it before...
Forgot about that. It's setup in my house so I've never had a problem, but very good point.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16616 posts
2318 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Out of the loop on this, getting a 4K TV for our family RV. Will bring 4K content on a HDD, what's a good media player?
Nvidia Shield will play anything; if you buy the 500GB model, it's basically an all-in-one media server. It will run Plex too, so other people in the RV can stream video to their mobile devices at the same time!

Using a TV's USB is OK too ... but they can be fussy with file format.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14508 posts
8427 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Thanks for the replies, I ended up getting a Sony X720E. Testing it on our kitchen island, it plays mp4 and mkv 4K samples off USB, and has Netflix and Youtube apps. Toggling ON the nerd stats icon in Youtube, it says 2160p. Will keep it in the house off-season, so the 4K up close is nice.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2951 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Thanks for the replies, I ended up getting a Sony X720E. Testing it on our kitchen island, it plays mp4 and mkv 4K samples off USB, and has Netflix and Youtube apps. Toggling ON the nerd stats icon in Youtube, it says 2160p. Will keep it in the house off-season, so the 4K up close is nice.
Sony players tend to have issues with external subtitles for mkv, avi files. Likely for x265 files as well. Test it again and make sure you're ok with it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14508 posts
8427 upvotes
Southern Ontario
badOne wrote: Sony players tend to have issues with external subtitles for mkv, avi files. Likely for x265 files as well. Test it again and make sure you're ok with it.
Thanks, already did, played a 29GB 2160p file and removed the subs no problem. Any issues will be fine since we're RV'ing, media isn't essential.