• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2023 9:14 am
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York

4th child - what are my vehicle options in 2024

I’m in market for minivan or SUV with number 4 coming soon :)

My kids are quite spread out so I rarely travel with all loaded so I could probably get by with the vw atlas or Grand highlander type of large 3 row suv if needed but minivan would much better. (I told myself I would never drive a minivan again but here I am)

I need a vehicle by early 2024 and I don’t know what to do… I heard odyssey is releasing hybrid van as well this year…siennas are out of question with 2yr wait.

Options are:

1) over pay and get current model minivan (Sienna or Carnival)
2) Deposit on Grand Highlander - hope it’s at dealers in 2024
3) Wait for hybrid 2024 Honda Odyssey
4) Find a used VW Atlas

Do I have any hope? This market is stressing me out
73 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
there should be other options in the Ford, GM, Jeep, etc SUV lines as well. I don't see why you are stressed out.
Jul 24, 2018
105 posts
95 upvotes
with 6 in family. Not to mention any grands parents. 8 seater is required. Go for GM Traverse
Apr 17, 2023
154 posts
198 upvotes
5) Find a used Highlander or Pilot.

The grand highlander isn't much bigger than highlander
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
Here's my take:

You have to decide two things: 1) is cargo space and space in the third row priorities for you? and 2) are sliding doors essential?

If your answer to 2 is yes, your choices are really limited these days

If your answer to 1 is yes but 2 is no, yeah, it's probably the Atlas or the Grand Highlander. Keep in mind though that Toyota is having serious challenges with deliveries these days.

A LOT of three row crossovers have tiny third rows - suitable for small children only. The Grand Highlander's seems to be okay in that regard and might even be useful for smaller people and/or shorter drives and it's cargo area with the third row up is pretty decent (like the Atlas). I haven't seen pricing on these though.

If budget is a concern and the cargo area with the third row up is less of a priority, you could check out a CPO Chevy Traverse True North (or Premier or High Country) 2020 or later. You can get one right now for less than $40k with some original factory warranty left. The third row is quite useable and these crossovers have a pretty decent turning radius (slightly better than the Atlas) and with the surround vision, it's easy to maneuver and I find that they're easy to park (especially with the surround vision). Oddly, the rear vision camera isn't available on the higher trims of the Traverse. Also, trailer hitch is standard and the vehicles have a 5,000 towing capacity.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
QuantPepe wrote: 5) Find a used Highlander or Pilot.

Its third row and cargo with the third row up are much bigger than the Highlander
Aug 18, 2019
63 posts
69 upvotes
Minivan. Even the biggest truck based SUVs can't beat the space of any minivan.
Rogers Cable internet, Bell Mobility / Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
8 passenger minivan. I would overpay for a Pacifica at this point. Pay big on van, save gas money on plug in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1869 upvotes
QuantPepe wrote: 5) Find a used Highlander or Pilot.

The market on these cars is nuts.

I’m visiting the in laws in WoodstockON and I drove by a Toyota dealership that had a sign out front advertising a 2020 highlander with 90k kilometers in it for 50k. Wtf
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York
I’ve sat in Highlander gas v6 it’s a great vehicle but if you are serious about using all 3 rows it’s pretty much useless.

The 3rd row bench is low to the ground and any human above 4.5 ft can’t fit there feet below the seat.

Thr lack of 3rd row space is why they made the Grand highlander in first place.

If I had 2-3 kids I would go for not, with 4 it’s out of questions.
QuantPepe wrote: Fair. I did cross-shop all 3 row SUVs; surprisingly, if you adjust the 2nd row in the Highlander, there is plenty of 3rd-row space.

Toyota provides the 3rd row leg room dimensions with the 2nd row all the way back. The reality is, you will never have the second row all the way back.

Atlas - 2nd row leg room (37.6 in) + 3rd row leg room (33.7 in) = 71.3 in
Highlander - 2nd row leg room (41 in) + 3rd row leg room (27.7 in) = 68.7 in.

If you are looking for Atlas, I suggest you look into Highlander or Pilot, I did the same and went with Highlander Gas since it was the last tried and true V6 and I know it will be very reliable for 200,000km+

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It really depends on your budget and your day to day usage of vehicles. We are a family of 6 (1 teen, 10yr old, and 2 toddlers in car seats) and very rarely travel all together and only use the 3rd row of our suv during those times. We use our EV 5 seater vehicle 95% of the time. Our suv is just sitting in the garage.
We don't like minivans either and would never really have used it unless we were on the road a lot all 6 of us. My oldest will be 18 in a few years and most likely won't even be travelling with us a lot. We thought more about the long term when we bought our new car and didn't wan't to be stuck with a minivan when we're down to just a few of us left in the house.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York
I’m in a similar situation.

17yr, 14yr old, 10 yrs and new born.

Most of the time I have 1 or 2 kids with me and maybe a less than 10 times all year we had all 6 in the vehicle. I do occasionally take my parents so the odd times I would need 8 seats but you are right, long term minivan makes sense for 2-3 years and then I wouldn’t need it.

I’m leaning towards the Toyota grand highlander for those exact reasons. I just hope if I reserve once I can get in 2024 and NOT 2025.

I would have like the Kia carnival if they were in stock with lower interest rates, than that would have close 2nd.
ckay1980 wrote: It really depends on your budget and your day to day usage of vehicles. We are a family of 6 (1 teen, 10yr old, and 2 toddlers in car seats) and very rarely travel all together and only use the 3rd row of our suv during those times. We use our EV 5 seater vehicle 95% of the time. Our suv is just sitting in the garage.
We don't like minivans either and would never really have used it unless we were on the road a lot all 6 of us. My oldest will be 18 in a few years and most likely won't even be travelling with us a lot. We thought more about the long term when we bought our new car and didn't wan't to be stuck with a minivan when we're down to just a few of us left in the house.
Last edited by afshaikh on May 21st, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
I wish anybody luck snagging a Grand Highlander: Toyota Wait Time Guide - this list doesn't include the Grand Highlander (for obvious reasons) so hopefully the GH's waiting time is closer to the Highlander's but I doubt it - unless you opt for the same 2.4 turbo four in the current Highlander.

Toyota is having trouble building hybrid versions and EV components these days. I'm sure that's going to improve as time marches on but when?
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
afshaikh wrote: I’m in a similar situation.

17yr, 14yr old, 10 yrs and new born.

Most of the time I have 1 or 2 kids with me and maybe a less than 10 times all year we had all 6 in the vehicle. I do occasionally take my parents so the odd times I would need 8 seats but you are right, long term minivan makes sense for 2-3 years and then I wouldn’t need it.

I’m leaning towards the Toyota grand highlander for those exact reasons. I just hope if I reserve once I can get in 2024 and 2025.

I would have like the Kia carnival if they were in stock with lower interest rates, than that would have close 2nd.
Good to hear you’re not in a rush. 🤣🤣🤣
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10803 upvotes
Canada
Where did you hear the 2024 Odyssey will be hybrid? There is no indication it will be fully redesigned, zero chance of AWD I'm told and if it gets a refresh for 2024 it will be a new mild hybrid powertrain (Automotive News says this), probably still with the V6, so expect a few MPG improvement not a huge gain (but probably still way better performance than Sienna).

Honda has not revealed a hybrid system designed with enough power for their large vehicles yet. The last time they had a hybrid on a large vehicle was the Acura MDX hybrid which was quickly discontinued, and it is very unlikely they will go back to that powertrain. We will see what they come out with.

We love our 2023 Odyssey. Consider it has a less than 37 foot turning circle, best in class and almost 4 feet smaller than the Pacifica. It handles great and feels easier to maneuver than some midsize sedans. It's nothing to park it. There are many reasons why it's the best minivan to drive.
IMG_5713.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2022
1118 posts
1660 upvotes
Gta
Highlander is a 5 pax vehicle day to day. The 3rd row is useless!
<censored>
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Blubbs wrote: Where did you hear the 2024 Odyssey will be hybrid? There is no indication it will be fully redesigned, zero chance of AWD I'm told and if it gets a refresh for 2024 it will be a new mild hybrid powertrain (Automotive News says this), probably still with the V6, so expect a few MPG improvement not a huge gain (but probably still way better performance than Sienna).

Honda has not revealed a hybrid system designed with enough power for their large vehicles yet. The last time they had a hybrid on a large vehicle was the Acura MDX hybrid which was quickly discontinued, and it is very unlikely they will go back to that powertrain. We will see what they come out with.

We love our 2023 Odyssey. Consider it has a less than 37 foot turning circle, best in class and almost 4 feet smaller than the Pacifica. It handles great and feels easier to maneuver than some midsize sedans. It's nothing to park it. There are many reasons why it's the best minivan to drive.

IMG_5713.jpeg
Oooohhh look at those rims!!!
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1125 posts
1028 upvotes
Used 2009-2012 Rav4 with third row. I will seat 7. Three tiny people in the back. Four adults.

Expect to pay between $12000-$17000.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Nov 28, 2020
228 posts
286 upvotes
When choosing a 3 row vehicle, the biggest issue is access to that 3rd row. If the middle row has infant car seats, do you really want to remove and reinstall every time you need to put the other 2 kids in that 3rd row? If you need to get those kids belted into car seats, can you get in the 3rd row and where are the infants from the second row waiting while you're in the 3rd row?

This sounds like minivan territory.
Feb 22, 2008
184 posts
61 upvotes
ChesterCheetoh wrote: When choosing a 3 row vehicle, the biggest issue is access to that 3rd row. If the middle row has infant car seats, do you really want to remove and reinstall every time you need to put the other 2 kids in that 3rd row? If you need to get those kids belted into car seats, can you get in the 3rd row and where are the infants from the second row waiting while you're in the 3rd row?

This sounds like minivan territory.
This is a good point. VW Atlas and Pathfinder can access 3rd row with a child seat fixed in place. Someone mentioned the Pilot but I would suggest only go new (2023 model) as the older design would not be good for 3rd row seating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)