Home & Garden

IS THIS $5,000 ELECTRICIAN QUOTE REASONABLE TO SETUP AN EV CHARGER IN DETACHED GARAGE?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2019 12:01 am
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
968 posts
467 upvotes
Coquitlam

IS THIS $5,000 ELECTRICIAN QUOTE REASONABLE TO SETUP AN EV CHARGER IN DETACHED GARAGE?

My friend lives in Coquitlam and has a detached garage that he wants to install and hardwire a 240 volt Tesla EV charger. Currently there are two 110 volt outlets in the detached garage The main electrical box is in the basement of the house and a 130 foot trench has to be dug through the grass from the house to the garage to a new 100 amp sub panel in the garage. The total wire run from the main electrical box in the basement of the house to the new 100 amp sub panel in the garage is about 150 feet.

Does this $4,850 + GST quote to dig the 130 foot trench, do all the electrical work, and get the permit to install the new Tesla EV charger sound reasonable?
Images
  • ELECTRICAL QUOTE EV CHARGER.jpg
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31509 posts
18220 upvotes
Toronto
That’s sounds about right as based on what my coworker had been quoted a few years back (in Toronto)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4179 posts
3276 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
That's a crazy long run. It's a lot of trenching, not to mention the cost of the cable.
The price is on point considering the work and materials involved.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5549 posts
2864 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
TomLafinsky wrote: Here's a pic of the tape I had to put on top of the wood. I dug 140' and 2' deep. Rented backhoe from HD and it took me two days to do all the work including putting back the soil. Much easier to fill up the trench with the backhoe than by hand, LOL. All in all my cost was in the neighborhood of $2K.

I used a measure tape so you know the actual size of the tape. You really should double check that the wire is installed as per regulations. Otherwise you could regret it a great deal.

EDIT: Bought the tape from HD.
You do not have to put wood down over top of it. As long as you bury the cable to proper depth you are fine. Installing mechanical protection like wood is only required if you want to make the trench shallower. Suitable mechanical protection allows you to go 150mm shallower than a trench without.

Typically you want to place your direct burial warning tape at the half depth of your trench. That way someone with a shovel will hit the tape without also hitting the cable/conduit at the same time.

You've also stated this involves hiring someone and a permit being pulled so really all this information is just for you to know but really not anything you need to worry about.

I believe that quote is fair as that is quite a long trench and involves a lot of work.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
968 posts
467 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback! It is pretty amazing all the great information you can get from other forum members in just a few hours!

It looks like there is quite a bit of work involved with the 130 foot trench and the $5,000 quote appears pretty reasonable and yes there are some safety considerations to look out for running the wire underground from the house to the garage.

I will forward on all this information to my friend.....oh yeh and sorry for the caps lock I posted the thread this morning in a mad rush as I was heading out the door :-)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20004 posts
13235 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
On a related note, since your friend is putting in the work, they should see what else they may want done in the future plan accordingly as you don't want to do that work again if you don't have to.

For example, someone may want to put some solar panels on the roof of the garage in the future which may require additional wiring back to the main house so instead of running underground cable for power now, they might want to look at how much it would cost to run a wide conduit or two instead and run the 240 V line inside the conduit.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1585 posts
218 upvotes
GTA
Sounds right. Cost to run and keep these teslas aint cheap!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6321 posts
1906 upvotes
speeeeee wrote: Sounds right. Cost to run and keep these teslas cars aint cheap!!
FTFY.

I found a 2016 AMG C63 with 9000km for $56k, msrp was $105k or so.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11605 posts
6777 upvotes
Paris
speeeeee wrote: Sounds right. Cost to run and keep these teslas aint cheap!!
Buddy has a garage 150 feet from his house. He ain’t hurting.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11605 posts
6777 upvotes
Paris
Op if it was me I’d put in the thickest cable I could. 100 amps is good, I’d go as big as possible. I have a 30amp 220v dust collector for instance.

Also, I know 60amp Inside cord isn’t cheap which is what I ran to my garage. That burial grade stuff is extra pricey.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20004 posts
13235 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jerico wrote: Op if it was me I’d put in the thickest cable I could. 100 amps is good, I’d go as big as possible. I have a 30amp 220v dust collector for instance.

Also, I know 60amp Inside cord isn’t cheap which is what I ran to my garage. That burial grade stuff is extra pricey.
That's why I suggested laying down a nice wide conduit instead of just the cable so that explansion would be relatively straight forward in the future...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3822 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: Sounds ok, 150 is a long distance.

Btw, I don't know what the code is over where you are, but here where I live in Ontario the last time I checked about a decade ago you had to put gravel at the bottom of the trench (under the wire) and on top of the wire you had to put a piece of wood like a 2X4 (or wider) and a piece of red tape with something like the word DANGER or something like that on top of the wood. Tape was like 4" wide.

EDIT: You wouldn't want a future and new homeowner to use a shovel through the ground and hit the 100amps @240V wire. Wouldn't be good for his/her health Face With Tears Of Joy

EDIT2: Forgot to mention the kind of wire you use in the ground is a wire made specifically for outside. Not the same type of wire you would use indoor.

EDIT3: IIRC the trench is supposed to be 18" deep.
Did you put in a frost loop?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11605 posts
6777 upvotes
Paris
TomLafinsky wrote: I wonder if he has a tunnel either above or below ground to walk from his house to the garage? I sure wouldn't want to have to walk 150' while being exposed to rain/snow every time I leave the house to take my vehicle or after parking the vehicle in the garage. Underground tunnels are really fun to dig and not that expensive to do given what you are getting.
Friends of ours lived near fancy ville Toronto once (Forest Hill? Heights? Something like that) and a full gut was going on. I walked past the house and said “If that was my house, I would dig a tunnel”. We were back seeing them again 4 weeks later and the tunnel foundation was dug. They must have heard me.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4370 posts
3714 upvotes
Toronto
Guy lives in BC on a 200+ foot deep lot is having a Tesla charger installed in his garage and we're discussing if $5k is too much? Time is money - your friend should just shell out and get it done. I see Permit Fee on the quote so just make sure there is a permit and inspections.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4370 posts
3714 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: I wonder if he has a tunnel either above or below ground to walk from his house to the garage? I sure wouldn't want to have to walk 150' while being exposed to rain/snow every time I leave the house to take my vehicle or after parking the vehicle in the garage. Underground tunnels are really fun to dig and not that expensive to do given what you are getting.
I'd install a Telsa Hyperloop to take me from my garage to my basement.

Tell your friend to save his $5K and have a full road tunneled from his garage to his basement. Put the charger in the basement. Elevator to drop the car from the garage to the tunnel, Hyperloop to cover the 150' in 0.5 seconds and then he can step out of his car into the comfort of his basement lair. Then the car rotates on a turntable and is ready for the stupid commute in the morning :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15426 posts
10019 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote: FTFY.

I found a 2016 AMG C63 with 9000km for $56k, msrp was $105k or so.
Wow that's a great price. Any water damage to the sea63?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10360 posts
10627 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Wow that's a great price. Any water damage to the sea63?
Probably Florida salt-water flooded salvage.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1996 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Buddy has a garage 150 feet from his house. He ain’t hurting.
That could mean anything from loaded, to just plain boonies.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)