Home & Garden

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2023 3:22 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…

UPDATE $5,000 Canada Greener Homes Retrofits grant program now announced!

This program was announced today, May 27, 2021.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/make-your-home- ... ient/23443

Here's what's covered and the grant amount.
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/eligible-grants ... ofit/23504

Grants for Canadian homeowners living in the North and off-grid communities
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficien ... living-the

Home Energy Retrofits

Starting December 1, 2020, a grant of up to $5,000 will be available to homeowners who make energy-efficient improvements to their homes as well as free EnerGuide energy assessments.

Requirements for the initiative
You must:

Complete a pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation (residents of Quebec and Nova Scotia need to apply directly through their provincial programs to book their EnerGuide evaluation)
Complete at least one retrofit that is both eligible and recommended by your energy advisor in their report. Only homeowners who conduct at least one retrofit will be reimbursed.
provide and keep copies of all of your documents until March 31, 2028.
All products must be purchased in Canada. Online purchases are only eligible if they are ordered from an online distributor located in Canada.

From the Enbridge website:
Can I participate in both the Home Efficiency Rebate and the Canada Greener Homes Grant?

Yes, homeowners can participate in both programs but cannot receive duplicate rebates for the same qualifying energy efficiency improvements and energy assessments. For further clarity, you cannot apply for rebates for the same home energy assessment costs, heating system, water heating system, insulation upgrades, air sealing or the same windows or doors. Rebate stacking is not permitted with the Home Efficiency Rebate. The Canada Greener Homes grant is a federal offer and is not associated with Enbridge Gas.
Images
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-13-30-20.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-13-30-39.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-13-30-51.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-13-31-00.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-14-29-30.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-14-46-22.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-14-48-38.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-14-49-34.png
  • Screenshot_2021-05-27-14-50-38.png
Last edited by fergy on Jul 6th, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.
903 replies
Feb 29, 2008
407 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like it's similar to GreenON from few years ago, wait a couple of weeks for them to get the website going and list of approved contractors
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
As a window guy and member of SAWDAC, I have heard nothing about it as yet
Dec 29, 2019
304 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
But I just paid for my energy audit a few weeks ago. lol ...

Is this not the same thing funding Ontario's home efficiency rebate program with Enbridge?
If it's a separate thing that can stack on top of the Ontario incentives, all the more welcome.
Jul 25, 2013
330 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
More information should be coming out in early 2021 hopefully. This is different from enbridge program
Mar 3, 2018
36 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Bump. Just heard about this today and keen to try it out.
May 15, 2020
198 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill ON
I came across it on the government web site and there were strings attached to it. It was "up to", which means you may only get a fraction of that or not get any at all, an inspector must come and make "measurements" of what it was before and after upgrade, really? Other conditions too. I decided it was not worth the hassle. Contractors may leverage it to get their feet through the door, but do not kid yourself with " $5K" .
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like they are going to offer interest free loans instead of rebates?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
GSD wrote: Seems like they are going to offer interest free loans instead of rebates?
Up to 5k grant and up to 40k interest free loan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
After 6 months this is the only information provided on the program.

Provide homeowners with up to $5,000 in grants for the purchase and installation of qualifying equipment or for the implementation of qualifying measures. The details are currently being finalized. They could include some heating and cooling system retrofits, envelope measures such as windows and insulation and some renewable energy measures.

An opportunity for homeowners to invest in their home, making it more comfortable to live in and reducing costs. It is also an opportunity to become better prepared for changes that will come in future with more stringent building codes, including for existing homes and buildings.

These actions will also help Canada meet its 2030 climate change commitments and significantly contribute to Canada’s goal of achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, while increasing the health and wellness of Canadians.

Retrofitting existing homes — such as replacing windows and doors and improving the building envelope, including by adding insulation — is one of the most effective ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

* Provide up to 700,000 grants of up to $5,000 to help homeowners make energy efficiency retrofits to their homes, such as better insulation
* Support EnerGuide home evaluations and provide expert advice to homeowners so they can begin to plan their retrofits

The initiative is available to homeowners retroactive to December 1, 2020.

Homeowners will be required to demonstrate that the home they are registering is their primary residence.

To be eligible for reimbursement, participants in the Greener Homes initiative must obtain an EnerGuide home evaluation before the retrofit and then a post-retrofit evaluation once renovations are completed. The home evaluations will help homeowners identify eligible measures, plan their retrofits and understand the performance of their homes following the retrofits.

To be eligible for retroactive payment, you must document your retrofit journey. The journey must begin with your EnerGuide home evaluation.

Keep all copies of invoices for the home evaluation and invoices for your retrofit work. Your energy advisor will take photos before and after your retrofit work.

Step 3: Get a post-retrofit audit
Participants must obtain a post-retrofit home evaluation after the work is completed.

Budget 2021 proposes to provide $4.4 billion on a cash basis ($778.7 million on an accrual basis over five years, starting in 2021-22, with $414.1 million in future years), to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) to help homeowners complete deep home retrofits through interest-free loans worth up to $40,000.

Examples of deep retrofits to make our homes greener
Replacing oil furnaces or low-efficiency systems with a high efficiency furnace, air source heat pump, or geothermal heat pump.
Better wall or basement insulation and/or wall or roof panels.
Installing a high-efficiency water heater or on-site renewable energy like solar panels.
Replacing drafty windows and doors.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
I thought they were going to pay for some free energy audits?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
GSD wrote: I thought they were going to pay for some free energy audits?
The energy audits are supposed to be free and the program is to run for 5 years.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
fergy wrote: The energy audits are supposed to be free and the program is to run for 5 years.
They just announced spending $10mil to train up 2k people on energy audits. Insulation good, air leakage bad, higher efficiency > lower efficiency, who knew?

Anyways, still zero detail on the program. I'm guessing it will function like the current one in Ontario where you need to do a set number of upgrades and achieve a certain improvement level. That said, its 100% speculation, and we'll still have to wait and see.
Jan 19, 2013
101 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
How likely is it that we can use the Enbridge and Federal grants?

Our home auditor said we might be able to. But my guess is unlikely.
Dec 29, 2019
304 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah. I am hoping they can stack it with the Enbridge one in Ontario, but it's probably not likely lol.
I also already started so I hope it's retroactive to 2020.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how often can you claim this energy rebate. I remember when I finished my basement 10 years ago. I hired an energy consultant to do the evaluation and claimed the rebate. I forgot exactly what it was and rebate amount. I only they checked the thickness of the basement and attic insulation, air flow/leak inside the house, etc.
Feb 19, 2003
87 posts
12 upvotes
Etobicoke
Does anyone have any suggestions on which organization to choose for the Energy Audit?
Canada Energy Audit Ltd.
ecoGEO Energy Inc.
Ecofitt Corporation
AmeriSpec of Canada
EnerTest Corporation
All Season Inspection Inc
Barrier Sciences Group
EnerSolution Inc
The Home Inspectors Group Inc.
Energuy Holdings Ltd
EnerQuality Corporation
BEST Energy and Sustainability Inc
Eco Advantage Energy Advisors Inc
NRGwise Consulting
Pro Home Building Inspections Inc
Green Communities Canada
CoEfficient Building Science
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If it's retroactive to Dec 2020, but before renovations start the audit has to happen, how does that even work?
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)