Expired Hot Deals

$5/mo. 5GB Disk, 50GB B/W cPanel Hosting (additional 15% or $5 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2015 6:03 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2011
137 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto

$5/mo. 5GB Disk, 50GB B/W cPanel Hosting (additional 15% or $5 off)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
15% off
A Small Orange is offering an additional 15% off or $5 off (one time) their already inexpensive hosting plans.
While the company name might sound funny, they've been in business since the early 2000s and are part of the same parent company as HostGator and BlueHost.
I have hosted all my websites using their Small plan for 2 years, which includes:
  • 5GB Disk Space
  • 50GB Monthly Bandwidth
  • Unlimited Add-On Domains (host multiple websites)
  • cPanel 11 & 1-click Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla installs
  • Free domain name when you sign up annually
$5/month or $50/year (2 months free)
https://asmallorange.com/hosting/shared/

I've been through my fair share of web hosts and I noticed that A Small Orange doesn't oversell their servers as heavily as others.
They run on an Intel Xeon platform with all SSD storage.
Case in point: I moved a DB-intensive Drupal site from Network Solutions to ASO and the performance difference was like night and day.

ASO is offering these coupon codes:
These discounts stack on top of any other discount you may receive. Remember to enter them in the "Promotion Code (optional)" field before checking out.

15PCTOFF - 15% off any hosting plan, any billing period
Save more by prepaying 1, 2 or 3 years.

5DOLOFF - $5 off any hosting plan, any billing period
With this code, the Small plan is first month free.

Tips:
  • It's more advantageous to use the 15% off coupon when your order total is > $33, usually when you pay annually (or longer).
  • I usually like to pay by the year, $50 -> After the "15PCTOFF" coupon, $42.50.
  • You can use the $5 off coupon and try the $5 Small plan FREE when you select Monthly billing.
There has been no better time to build a website than now!
https://asmallorange.com/hosting/
31 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14894 posts
2866 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Where is it hosted? I find that I can have unlimited space but if the speed is slow and servers are oversold, it means nothing.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2011
137 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Where is it hosted? I find that I can have unlimited space but if the speed is slow and servers are oversold, it means nothing.
The servers are located in two U.S locations - Texas and Michigan.

This is the whole point of A Small Orange. While the other brands like HostGator or BlueHost advertise unlimited space, ASO's plans actually have a limit.
By having a limit, they discourage heavy users from abusing the server resources. In the case of the Small plan, it is 5GB disk space and 50GB bandwidth.
If speed is a #1 concern for you, I spoke with their support about their Business plans and they have 50% the number of clients on those servers as regular Shared.
https://asmallorange.com/hosting/business/

If you want to test out the ping and download speed, you can try pinging one of their servers: daryl.asoshared.com
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4124 posts
1421 upvotes
so are you the owner, or just a rep?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1401 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Same question as Def47. Ops sounds like advertising.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2011
137 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
def47 wrote: so are you the owner, or just a rep?
jurassic98 wrote: Same question as Def47. Ops sounds like advertising.
I do not work for A Small Orange. They're a U.S. company and I'm right here in Toronto. ;)
Just a happy customer who has found a home for his websites after moving hosts all too many times.
DylanShadowlocke wrote: Feels a bit pricy to me. I use this one: http://www.webhostingpad.com/ for 2 bucks a month. They seem to always have the $1.99 per month deal going on for the last few years. :D
The host you suggest is only $1.99/mo if you prepay for 3 years and a lot can change by then. Paying annually is $3.99/mo. They have no month-to-month option.
The pricing is really a negligible difference. When it comes to hosting, it's the service that counts.
Many times, ASO has went beyond the call to help me troubleshoot problems with scripts, with their 24/7 U.S. based support.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3040 posts
1903 upvotes
Montreal
Hard to believe with a post like that and your replies that you are not affiliated with them.
May 16, 2013
89 posts
46 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I've always used x10hosting.com, they always seem to be pretty speedy, and you get great service even on their free plan, which is what I use. Unlimited disk space and bandwidth, limits on email accounts and subdomains though. Great to pair with a free domain from freenom.com, you can have a proper website for free. It also has cpanel and an apps installer for installing wordpess, joomla, etc. If you use their free plan you have to make a domain.x10hosting.com address, but once you have cpanel set up you can change that to whatever you want.
Jul 3, 2008
502 posts
328 upvotes
Ontario
Another plug for ASO. I've been using their service for about a decade now. I highly recommend them. You practically have full access, as opposed to most discount shared hosting that limits things like # domains / subdomains, # email accounts, # databases.

As long as you stay within your package's allotted storage & bandwidth, you can practically run a dozen domains, forums, sites, etc, all from one account.

They offer the best services at the most reasonable cost. Only two downsides are the USD exchange and for those that are hyper concerned about storing their data on US based servers... Then again, where do you think all your Facebook/Google/Dropbox info is stored...
Jul 3, 2008
502 posts
328 upvotes
Ontario
daviiiiiid wrote: Hard to believe with a post like that and your replies that you are not affiliated with them.
I must admit, OP's posts appears rather suspect. It's formatted... Almost too well.

Nonetheless, I still back OP, this is a good deal - great price on a great service... Now I only wonder if I can get that coupon applied to a renewal...
Oct 29, 2013
112 posts
55 upvotes
edmonton
im looking for an nvidia grid hosting company in canada. anyone know of any? im in calgary
[OP]
Nov 20, 2011
137 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
dotsthewarlock wrote: I must admit, OP's posts appears rather suspect. It's formatted... Almost too well.

Nonetheless, I still back OP, this is a good deal - great price on a great service... Now I only wonder if I can get that coupon applied to a renewal...
Heh..I am a marketer by trade (but not for A Small Orange) maybe that's why. :o
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the deal though.

The best way to pay for this deal, as with other USD denominated transactions is:
a) USD balance in your PayPal account
b) A no currency fee conversion VISA like the Amazon.ca Rewards Credit Card.
Jan 24, 2012
529 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
get a vps and learn linux. Webhosting is not a good way to spend money.

also flagging this as its an ad and not close to being hot deal. You can get a kvm for less tham 5 mo
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2751 posts
285 upvotes
Word of warning for anyone considering this "deal". A Small Orange was a much better host before they were purchased by EIG (Endurance International Group). EIG is known for buying smaller hosts and making them terrible hosts. Both in terms of performance (downtime) and customer service. Just like OP said, it's the same parent company as HostGator, enough said.

Take a look at this site and see why you should steer clear of any EIG-owned web host. http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-e ... es-brands/

A simple Google search will also reveal tons of info.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2011
137 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Windex wrote: get a vps and learn linux. Webhosting is not a good way to spend money.

also flagging this as its an ad and not close to being hot deal. You can get a kvm for less tham 5 mo
Just because it's your opinion that you'd rather get an unmanaged VPS, doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone.
The average user would need to concern themselves with server updates, security and configuration.
You might have the inclination to learn that, so all the more power to you.

If one wanted to get an unmanaged VPS with dedicated resources, DigitalOcean is a great choice.
They offer a 512MB/20GB disk/1TB transfer package for $5/month. They have 1 click Wordpress installs, but out of the box, you can't easily host multiple websites.
https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

Just putting this option out there as well.
Nov 26, 2014
180 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Windex wrote: get a vps and learn linux. Webhosting is not a good way to spend money.

Unmanaged VPS is not for everyone.
You need to know how to secure the VPS.
Then install LAMP or LEMP.. Then optimize it.
Install a FTP, Mailserver with SPAM protection (secure/optimize it).

I've flagged your useless post.