• Oct 8th, 2021 10:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6927 posts
3177 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

5 Star ECM tuning for Ford Tritons?

Just wondering if any of the multitude of (P/U) truck drivers here use or have used 5 Star tuning to reprogramme their rig's ECM and what experiences have been like, with respect to power gain and mileage?

Recently bought a first real gas guzzler, a '30 Class A built on an '06 Ford F53 (so has the revised 30-valve head). Also come with headers and a new exhaust. Was thinking of doing the programming for a trip next year to Saskatchewan to visit wife's family. Lots of mountains to be crosses (some say 11-13 ranges each way?). Rig is fortunately relative light (just under 7 tons dry).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6927 posts
3177 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
codeman33 wrote: Is it the v10?
Yes, first model year of the then newly-revised (30v vs 20v) cylinder head with deeper spark plug threads.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29820 posts
10537 upvotes
You're not going to get much power out of an atmospheric engine with a tune. Looks like they advertise "up to" 42hp out of this engine, which that "up to" presumably also means with I/H/E...for $550 USD? Meh. 30-40hp on an engine which is already 360hp (I think?) pulling a monstrously heavy MH, I'm not sure you're going to feel much difference. Perhaps every hp counts going up hills though.

Granted, it looks like you get an actual [hardware] tuner here which also has a lot of additional features so maybe not too bad.

Anyway I seriously doubt you're going to find many RFDers with experience on this in particular, though it seems some Motorhome Magazine has this company in their "reader's choice awards" year after year. You might want to go on some more MH oriented forums for better feedback.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6927 posts
3177 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ES_Revenge wrote: You're not going to get much power out of an atmospheric engine with a tune. Looks like they advertise "up to" 42hp out of this engine, which that "up to" presumably also means with I/H/E...for $550 USD? Meh. 30-40hp on an engine which is already 360hp (I think?) pulling a monstrously heavy MH, I'm not sure you're going to feel much difference. Perhaps every hp counts going up hills though.

Granted, it looks like you get an actual [hardware] tuner here which also has a lot of additional features so maybe not too bad.
The price is why I am a bit hesitant. What the tuner also does is reprogramme transmission shift points for better performance rather than static dyno fuel economy (however U.S. EPA does it) which is said to be important. In particular, downshift to 4th from 5th instead of 5th to 3rd for small inclines. Those who have it say it's good but that could be confirmation bias(?).

My rig should be able to generate more HP due to the exhaust (same torque at higher RPM = more HP. HP = torque (lb-ft) x rpm/5252
Anyway I seriously doubt you're going to find many RFDers with experience on this in particular, though it seems some Motorhome Magazine has this company in their "reader's choice awards" year after year. You might want to go on some more MH oriented forums for better feedback.
Feedback on what it does for a 1-ton truck would be good and comparable, especially those hauling a 5th wheel, excavators on a flat bed or something else large and heavy.
Nov 23, 2012
60 posts
27 upvotes
SUDBURY
I had that tune on a 05 f-250 v10.. made a difference but it was more so the throttle response they take out the lag made the truck very touchy.. they also improved the shift points. This is going back quite a few years now. But I do remember it was definitely worth it