• Sep 19th, 2019 7:37 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5673 posts
598 upvotes

50 Charged in US College Admissions Scam

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/f ... -1.5052838
Hollywood actors Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin were among 50 people charged by U.S. federal prosecutors on Tuesday in a $25-million US scheme to help wealthy Americans cheat their children's way into elite universities such as Yale and Stanford.

Federal authorities called it the biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department, with the parents accused of paying an estimated $25 million in bribes.

At least nine athletic coaches and 33 parents, many of them prominent in law, finance, fashion and other fields, were among those charged. Dozens, including Huffman, the Emmy-winning star of ABC's Desperate Housewives, were arrested by midday.
"These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege," U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said in announcing the results of a fraud and conspiracy investigation code-named Operation Varsity Blues.
Damn! I could have gone to Yale ........... if only I had known how to use the back door to get in. Disappointed But Relieved Face
114 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3289 posts
390 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
If you need any proof that there are too many wealthy Americans, this is it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25219 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
Seems rich people produce dumb kids. Who knew....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9057 posts
2909 upvotes
...I was going to say how did they get through SAT testing ...

"The consultant also hired ringers to take college entrance exams for students, and paid off insiders at testing centres to correct students' answers."

Whatever...always thought the very rich had a back door way to get in anyway
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17744 posts
1283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
CheapScotch wrote: Damn! I could have gone to Yale ........... if only I had known how to use the back door to get in. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Proof that the "Ivy League" is all show, no substance.

I'm actually glad that all of our universities are "public" and so there's less of a chance of such shenanigans happening up here.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13246 posts
2583 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
konfusion666 wrote: Proof that the "Ivy League" is all show, no substance.
Right. Ivy leagues is all marketing. They make it "hard" to get in... but once ur in... no big deal. Look at all the kids of this scam. None have dropped out or failing that we know of... they must be maintaining the GPA, enuff for a bare pass at least.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12644 posts
7889 upvotes
This has always been the case. The rich have their own set of rules, they get ahead then look down on the poor. Give them all 10 years each.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24645 posts
1806 upvotes
Markham, ON
loserga wrote: If you need any proof that there are too many wealthy Americans, this is it.
...so 50 out of 325M ppl...ok.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6466 posts
1976 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Seems rich people produce dumb kids. Who knew....
Why raise your kids properly when you have money!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4642 posts
2994 upvotes
Burnaby
Color me shocked! It's always been this way and everybody knows it.

For instance:

The Story Behind Jared Kushner’s Curious Acceptance Into Harvard -- Propublica, Nov. 18, 2016
ProPublica editor Daniel Golden wrote a book a decade ago about how the rich buy their children access to elite colleges. One student he covered is now poised to become one of the most powerful figures in the country.
My book exposed a grubby secret of American higher education: that the rich buy their under-achieving children’s way into elite universities with massive, tax-deductible donations. It reported that New Jersey real estate developer Charles Kushner had pledged $2.5 million to Harvard University in 1998, not long before his son Jared was admitted to the prestigious Ivy League school. At the time, Harvard accepted about one of every nine applicants. (Nowadays, it only takes one out of twenty.)

I also quoted administrators at Jared’s high school, who described him as a less than stellar student and expressed dismay at Harvard’s decision.

“There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the school thought he would on the merits get into Harvard,” a former official at The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey, told me. “His GPA did not warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it. We thought for sure, there was no way this was going to happen. Then, lo and behold, Jared was accepted. It was a little bit disappointing because there were at the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and they did not.”
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Oct 24, 2009
387 posts
85 upvotes
The schools should also get sanctioned for being complicit in this. I can't believe (or maybe I can believe) that schools are acting like they have been a victim in all this.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1807 posts
521 upvotes
Reminds me of the Simpsons with Rodney Dangerfield as Mr Burns son
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4052 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Imagine the ones you dont hear about
Traveling 😁