Off Topic

50 Charged in US College Admissions Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2019 7:37 am
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
If they're spending $ millions to get them in ... probably spending $ millions to get the grades they want.
Mar 14, 2018
423 posts
298 upvotes
pootza wrote: If they're spending $ millions to get them in ... probably spending $ millions to get the grades they want.
Exactly what I was thinking. Does the admission 'fee' include 4 years of assignments/exams?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25644 posts
3184 upvotes
Montreal
DelusionalDiva wrote: The schools should also get sanctioned for being complicit in this. I can't believe (or maybe I can believe) that schools are acting like they have been a victim in all this.
American private universities. They are only subject to the sanctions of their own boards of administration, since they take no public money. At best, a student refused could try to sue for compensation.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4814 posts
3068 upvotes
Burnaby
mr_raider wrote: American private universities. They are only subject to the sanctions of their own boards of administration, since they take no public money. At best, a student refused could try to sue for compensation.
IVY LEAGUE COLLEGES GET HUGE SUBSIDIES FROM FEDERAL GOV’T , Daily Caller, 10/17/2016

The most exclusive and elite private colleges are heavily subsidized by taxpayer funds, according to a report on funds that Ivy League colleges receive from the federal government.

The eight schools received more than $30 billion in taxpayer funds between 2010 and 2014, according to the non-partisan government spending research group American Transparency (OpenTheBooks.com). Each school received an average of $6 billion in taxpayer funds annually in that time period, including government contracts, grants, student aid, and non-profit tax benefits.
Critics to Ivy Leagues: 'Taxpayer gravy train needs to end', Fox News, March 29, 2017

Over a six-year period, Ivy League schools have received tens of billions in tax dollars, bringing in more money from taxpayers than from undergraduate student tuition. In fact, they received more federal cash than 16 state governments.

The 43-page report shows the massive amount of money flowing into not-for-profit Ivy League schools, including payments and entitlements, costing taxpayers more than $41 billion from fiscal year 2010 to fiscal year 2015.

The spending is controversial because these eight schools -- Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University and Yale University -- have enormous resources at their fingertips, including endowment funds (money raised from donors) in 2015 exceeding $119 billion. Take that total and split it up among Ivy League undergrads and it comes out to $2 million each.
Not sure about the breakdown (subsidies to students, bursaries, research grants, tax credits, etc.), but quite a bit of taxpayers money given away to private institutions that should be self-sufficient (regarding funding).
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13349 posts
2250 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Cheating is rampant everywhere in life. Trying to get rid of it is like trying to get rid of prostitution. But, it's nice when ppl get busted for it once in a blue moon.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11370 posts
7783 upvotes
GTA, ON
.... Privilege
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1756 posts
785 upvotes
Ontario
What this proves is life isn't fair. Big surprise.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4911 upvotes
Here 'n There
I wonder what Felicity looks like in shackles...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3343 posts
398 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
thelefteyeguy wrote: ...so 50 out of 325M ppl...ok.
The only reason there are people willing to participate in these scams is because demand exceeds the supply of available slots at elite colleges. There are literally too many wealthy Americans for elite colleges to accommodate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2945 upvotes
I wonder if the schools will start expelling students
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11370 posts
7783 upvotes
GTA, ON
Hasn't this always been the way of the rich though? Produce and create idiot children by coddling them with money and self entitlement and then act surprised when they can't get into school, so you bribe their way in?

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44128 posts
7235 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
loserga wrote: The only reason there are people willing to participate in these scams is because demand exceeds the supply of available slots at elite colleges. There are literally too many wealthy Americans for elite colleges to accommodate.
Unbelievable... America baffles me sometimes.
They’re known as the pillar and defenders of democracy... the largest military power and economic super giant.

Yet third world country ish like bribery, cronyism, and trump run rampant...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1657 posts
761 upvotes
Toronto
the college should turn a blind eye to these kids, get rich, then flunk them at the end. WIN WIN :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
DelusionalDiva wrote: The schools should also get sanctioned for being complicit in this. I can't believe (or maybe I can believe) that schools are acting like they have been a victim in all this.
I agree. As far as I'm concerned the schools are the real guilty ones. Hit them hard.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19327 posts
3375 upvotes
Toronto
article wrote:Parents spent anywhere from $200,000 to $6.5 million US to guarantee their children's admission, officials said.
I don't understand this. You'd be better off just giving the money directly to the kid and sending them to a lower school.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11370 posts
7783 upvotes
GTA, ON
BK2006 wrote: Parents made their payments to a sham charity, prosecutors said, which also allowed them to take a fraudulent tax write-off. The fake charity, Key Worldwide Foundation, purported to help provide an education to "underprivileged students."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ex-pimco-chie ... ector.html
Well technically their kids are charity cases based upon their lack of intelligence. Face With Tears Of Joy