• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2019 7:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9083 posts
1233 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sandeep8g wrote: Is merit dead?
Considering Harvard and most of the Ivy league schools still give out points for "legacy" applications (aka you get points if your parents or family are alumnis), I would say yes, merit is kind of dead.
And as Supercooled said, a lot of students don't go to these schools for their academic merit, but because the name looks good on a resume.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44135 posts
7238 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
tranquility922 wrote: This has been in the news for a while but no one mentioned it? Apparently, some celebs are in hot water for trying to get their kids into 'prestigious' universities, paying like $500k and bribing, etc. Now they can face jail time up to 40 years? This reminds me of the Martha Stewart stock scandal. Talk about rich ppl being ultra-stupid. Saving relative pennies and getting a jail term for Martha and just cuz they want their kids to get into certain schools, likewise. Like their kids *really* need to get into that school or else their futures are ruined smh.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawandcrim ... court/amp/
Rich people in the states are pretty invincible.
But i guess they’re finally cracking down....
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19096 posts
2040 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
UrbanPoet wrote: Rich people in the states are pretty invincible.
But i guess they’re finally cracking down....
How is hat any different from the rest of the world. Rich people are universally ass holes.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4911 upvotes
Here 'n There
So Felicity Huffman is taking therapy to determine what made her bribe someone to get her daughter into college.

Um, I love the way she tries to blame it on something external. Felicity, it was your lack of morals, ethics and the fact you thought you would never be caught for committing this crime. Time to take ownership of it.

Sentencing is happening momentarily.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4911 upvotes
Here 'n There
should have been a month at least
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1755 posts
477 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote: No. Look up news on students who commits suicide in top Chinese universities.

https://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/201 ... -suicides/

Schools in Asia are cut throat. My older siblings would study all night for exams... not university exams, not high school exams, but elementary school exams. When I was 6 years old, in grade 1, my science exam was on photosethesis (Calvin cycle, C3 etc) and cell division (mitosis, meiosis, and cytokinesis etc)... after I moved to Canada, I didn't learn about those things until high school. There was also a grade school entrance exam where the examiner asked me, who just turned 6 at the time, the historical and cultural significance of Qu Yuan, who was a Chinese poet and minister who lived during the Warring States period of ancient China.

At least people in the west don't care about their grades enough to commit suicide.

Note to self I would be screwed in school in Asia lol I don’t even know that stuff now at 40 lol
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
eonibm wrote: So Felicity Huffman is taking therapy to determine what made her bribe someone to get her daughter into college.

Um, I love the way she tries to blame it on something external. Felicity, it was your lack of morals, ethics and the fact you thought you would never be caught for committing this crime. Time to take ownership of it.

Sentencing is happening momentarily.
Realistically, she is a recognizable name so she gets punished. Fact is this is a normal thing in the thousands of colleges in the US and done by tens of thousands of parents all over the US. The sentence (14 days) is reflective of how egregious the crime really is.
If you look at college athletics alone you see how many get into college because the college wants winning teams and so many of the athletes are not college material but get in for 4 years anyway. (basketball is an exception, good players only stay maybe 2 years but the college wins games with them)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9374 posts
1434 upvotes
So is aunt Becky gonna get more time than 14 days? You bet cha.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4911 upvotes
Here 'n There
Pete_Coach wrote: Realistically, she is a recognizable name so she gets punished. Fact is this is a normal thing in the thousands of colleges in the US and done by tens of thousands of parents all over the US. The sentence (14 days) is reflective of how egregious the crime really is.
If you look at college athletics alone you see how many get into college because the college wants winning teams and so many of the athletes are not college material but get in for 4 years anyway. (basketball is an exception, good players only stay maybe 2 years but the college wins games with them)
No. It is not a normal thing to be paying others to change your test scores or take your exam for you, etc. Paaaleeeeease!

She got a slap on the wrist compared to others, mainly because she's a celebrity.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
eonibm wrote: No. It is not a normal thing to be paying others to change your test scores or take your exam for you, etc. Paaaleeeeease!

She got a slap on the wrist compared to others, mainly because she's a celebrity.
No need to be so righteous. Getting into a US college is and always has been who can pay or manipulate or play for them.
My example of college athletics (that applies equally to men and women) is exactly how the admissions is manipulated. Used to be a joke that college graduated athletes could not read or write properly LOL.
Also alumi manipulation...if daddy went, so can you. Also donations to departments is an entrance qualifier. Corporate sponsorship helps too. Even political assistance is helpful for admission. Of course, being a child of staff is always an admission gift.
I agree, she only got a slap on the wrist but, I think you will find this to be the end of the "scandal" because if they actually opened the door to the actual amount of admission fraud, the entire system would collapse.
Bottom line in US college admission is "what can you do for the college"?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34626 posts
4085 upvotes
Winnipeg
shawn01 wrote: Note to self I would be screwed in school in Asia lol I don’t even know that stuff now at 40 lol
That is only true in China though, other Asian country isn't as hardcore although any country is harder than Canada and the States. Keep in mind human lives are more disposable in 3rd world countries so the losses aren't significant. Of course they won't say that officially but really they don't care about few thousands of suicides.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4911 upvotes
Here 'n There
Pete_Coach wrote: No need to be so righteous. Getting into a US college is and always has been who can pay or manipulate or play for them.
My example of college athletics (that applies equally to men and women) is exactly how the admissions is manipulated. Used to be a joke that college graduated athletes could not read or write properly LOL.
Also alumi manipulation...if daddy went, so can you. Also donations to departments is an entrance qualifier. Corporate sponsorship helps too. Even political assistance is helpful for admission. Of course, being a child of staff is always an admission gift.
I agree, she only got a slap on the wrist but, I think you will find this to be the end of the "scandal" because if they actually opened the door to the actual amount of admission fraud, the entire system would collapse.
Bottom line in US college admission is "what can you do for the college"?
No need to tell me how I should be. Sheesh!

I get that you are unable to see the major distinction in your examples. So be it!!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
eonibm wrote: No need to tell me how I should be. Sheesh!

I get that you are unable to see the major distinction in your examples. So be it!!!
" It is not a normal thing to be paying others to change your test scores or take your exam for you, etc. Paaaleeeeease!", yes ...a righteous statement.
Major distinction? I informed you where and how you can get into American colleges and that it is used all the time.
I think you , for some reason, think it is unusual, rare or difficult to manipulate the admission process, well, wake up and smell the tuition. LOL