Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] 50% Off Bell internet for the next 12months, no contract

Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9047 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
^ Hm, the Cellpipe, if that is still the modem they provide, can have its router functions turned off.. that's what I did and performance was great. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.

In terms of the activation fee, I actually wasn't told there would be one, now that you mention it... maybe the rep waived it for me, haha. I signed up for this offer through their cancellation dept.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 9:41 pm
^ Hm, the Cellpipe, if that is still the modem they provide, can have its router functions turned off.. that's what I did and performance was great. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.

In terms of the activation fee, I actually wasn't told there would be one, now that you mention it... maybe the rep waived it for me, haha. I signed up for this offer through their cancellation dept.

I was looking around on their website, found a pdf manual for a modem/router combo which appears to be a Cisco 610n.

Since you are an existing customer, that may be why there's no activation fee? Not sure.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1739 posts
767 upvotes
GTA
Noticed they say $1 per GB if you go over your limit. Does anyone know if they have a maximum charge?
Dec 9, 2008
936 posts
89 upvotes
Hamilton
Britex wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 9:52 pm
Noticed they say $1 per GB if you go over your limit. Does anyone know if they have a maximum charge?

$60
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9047 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 9:49 pm
I was looking around on their website, found a pdf manual for a modem/router combo which appears to be a Cisco 610n.

Since you are an existing customer, that may be why there's no activation fee? Not sure.

Hm I think that's the router they provide for free if you need it, from what I see it doesn't have any modem function.

I'm not an existing customer, otherwise I'd have to pay that horrendous modem rental fee :S The rep probably just forgot to mention it. I'm going to expect the 29.95 charge on my bill, lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9047 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 9:49 pm

Hm I think that's the router they provide for free if you need it, from what I see it doesn't have any modem function.

I'm not an existing customer, otherwise I'd have to pay that horrendous modem rental fee :S The rep probably just forgot to mention it. I'm going to expect the 29.95 charge on my bill, lol
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 10:45 pm

I got my Fibe 12 today (need to call on Monday to try and get them to change it to Fibe 25). It came with a 2wire 2701hg router/modem combo. I made sure everything was working and then set the 2wire to function solely as a modem so I can use my wrt54g.

Speeds over wireless g, according to Speedtest.net, Rogers Speedtest, and Cogeco Speedtest, they indicate I am getting 11.5 to 13. Uploads have always been around 700k.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4382 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote:
Oct 7th, 2011 10:45 pm

You can get the modem fee waived, even as an existing customer, you just have to be persuasive enough ;)
ES PRODUCTIONS
Professional Photography Services

#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1642 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2011 8:06 pm
then set the 2wire to function solely as a modem

How do you do this? I have the same modem and would like to hook up my own router.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
fruzmatik wrote:
Oct 9th, 2011 9:25 am
How do you do this? I have the same modem and would like to hook up my own router.

Connect your computer to any port on the 2wire 2701HG and log into the 2wire's setup screen.

Click on the Home Network icon, un-check Wireless Security and click save. Stay in the Home Network screen and click on Summary on the on the right-hand side, disable the Wireless function, and save your settings.

Under Advanced Settings, change the 2wire's Router Address to 192.168.1.2, the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0, un-check the box for "Enable DHCP", and saved the settings. I chose 192.168.1.2 because my router's default address is 192.168.1.1 and default subnet is 255.255.255.0. You should make sure that no other computer or device on your network is using ip address 192.168.1.1.

Disconnect your computer from the 2wire and connect it to your router. Connect the 2wire to the wan port on your router. Log into your router, select pppoe, enter your usename and password. You should now be able to use your router to do all of the routing and the 2wire is just a modem.

To log into the 2wire's setup interface, connect an ethernet cable from a port on the router to a port on the 2wire. Launch your browser and go to 192.168.1.2
Nov 14, 2005
48 posts
2 upvotes
called bell and complained. front line CSR gave me hard time, so i demanded to talked to retension.

after talking and holding for good 20+ mins, rep gave me 50% off on fibe 16 plan (plan I already had..)

didn't bother asking more (insurance package, or fibe 25 deal etc) cuz i was tired talking..

regardless, Thanks to OP for posting this deal!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9047 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah don't call the front line reps to sign up for this - I just went directly to cancellations through the menu and said I want to sign up, LOL
Jul 22, 2009
355 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
switching today, should i reconsider? its 12 months no contract. good for the time being.

any problems with installation, would i need a technician or is it easy?
Jul 22, 2009
355 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
also im shocked that fibe tv still isnt available, yet i get constant calls from bell labelled as "bell fibe tv"
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
Scottie Piffen wrote:
Oct 10th, 2011 12:53 pm
switching today, should i reconsider? its 12 months no contract. good for the time being.

any problems with installation, would i need a technician or is it easy?

I signed up for Fibe 12 last Thursday. Unfortunately, I saw the Fibe 25 deal after I booked my Fibe 12 appointment. Hopefully, I'll be able to switch to Fibe 25 without having to pay any fees.

When the tech came to my place on Saturday, he was here for about 25 minutes, start to finish. The installation was really easy because I used to have Bell, the cable and pots wires drop into the house at the same place, and I have all of the telephone and cable wires at a single demarc point. next to where the wires drop into the house.