Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

$50 Online Voucher When Spend $250 Or More On CostcoGrocery

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2021 10:43 am
Nov 26, 2015
184 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lol. “fringe” items like sugar, as opposed to pantry staple craisins.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2300 posts
2175 upvotes
Laval, QC
Last time when Costco had this deal, they had grocery surcharge of $3 for each grocery item when you using the voucher online, not sure if it’s the same this time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Karlmtl wrote: Last time when Costco had this deal, they had grocery surcharge of $3 for each grocery item when you using the voucher online, not sure if it’s the same this time
They only have $3 surcharge if the total order of CostcoGrocery items only (excluding non-CostcoGrocery items) is below $75.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
brunes wrote: I am not even sure if this $50 would make up for the cost inflation of buying $250 items from Costco Grocery.

(For those unaware, all of the prices on Costco Grocery are marked up from the in-store prices, often very significantly - we're talking 20%-30% markup. If you were to buy $250 worth of things on Costco Grocery I would not be surprised at all to find the bill in-store to come out below $200). TL;DR - Costco Grocery is a ripoff.
I am surprised nobody here realized that shipping if free, i.e., included, for these items (over $75 total order). Some items are pretty heavy and/or fragile and require good packaging. Or course you pay more when you order delivery. That's expected.
Nov 12, 2012
102 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
alexricher wrote: Just tried it and got this : Promo code conditions have not been met. See promo code details or remove code to continue checking out. Anyone else?
spent a good 2 hours to pick products and got this... f**k it.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
1218 posts
633 upvotes
szhome wrote: spent a good 2 hours to pick products and got this... f**k it.
the OP mentions an expiry on July 25
she may be payin for dinner, but i'll be earnin it later!
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I am surprised nobody here realized that shipping if free, i.e., included, for these items (over $75 total order). Some items are pretty heavy and/or fragile and require good packaging. Or course you pay more when you order delivery. That's expected.
Amazon also has free shipping regardless of weight... and usually the items cost the same as at the local grocery store (or less). So I disagree with "that's expected".

The real issue here is Costco does not advertise the in-store price so people who don't take time to do their research are flying blind regarding how high the secret markup is.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
brunes wrote: Amazon also has free shipping regardless of weight... and usually the items cost the same as at the local grocery store (or less). So I disagree with "that's expected".
You can't compare prices among different stores because they are... just different. Some items that Costco sells are cheaper elsewhere. But if you compare prices of the same store delivery vs. brick & mortar somebody has to pay for delivery. And these are food items with very low markup. I don't even know another store that sells groceries at the store and ships them at the same time.
brunes wrote: The real issue here is Costco does not advertise the in-store price so people who don't take time to do their research are flying blind regarding how high the secret markup is.
They can't advertise the in-store prices on their website because they are slightly different depending on region. The markup is not secret LOL. Just go in store and reveal the secret.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
alpovs wrote:
They can't advertise the in-store prices on their website because they are slightly different depending on region. The markup is not secret LOL. Just go in store and reveal the secret.
I did reveal the secret to a bunch of them earlier. From my experience the markup is between 20% and 30% on average. People then try to justify that based on weight, which is nonsense as no online grocery retailer charges shipping based on weight.

I stand by my assertion that Costco Grocery is very uncompetitive and you'd be hard pressed to make out ahead with this deal.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
brunes wrote: I did reveal the secret to a bunch of them earlier. From my experience the markup is between 20% and 30% on average. People then try to justify that based on weight, which is nonsense as no online grocery retailer charges shipping based on weight.

I stand by my assertion that Costco Grocery is very uncompetitive and you'd be hard pressed to make out ahead with this deal.
It sounds like you've never shipped a package. Surprise! The shipping charge is calculated by weight and size.

Name a single grocery store that delivers groceries for the same price as they sell them in store with no additional shipping charges. Name a single other grocery retailer that actually ships groceries. Amazon ships some but what's available cannot be compared to Costco. I believe Amazon charges shipping non-Prime members.

If you compare this deal to in-store prices it's noncompetitive but some people can't go in store, it's a deal for them. Try comparing this to other online grocery offers.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2300 posts
2175 upvotes
Laval, QC
alpovs wrote: They only have $3 surcharge if the total order of CostcoGrocery items only (excluding non-CostcoGrocery items) is below $75.
I had the voucher from the last deal, and it’s $3 surcharge for each grocery item, so if you have 10 in the cart, surcharge is $30 and no matter how much you spend on groceries
So I ended up use the coupon for non grocery items
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Karlmtl wrote: I had the voucher from the last deal, and it’s $3 surcharge for each grocery item, so if you have 10 in the cart, surcharge is $30 and no matter how much you spend on groceries
So I ended up use the coupon for non grocery items
I have been ordering Costco groceries every 3-4 weeks for the past year and a half and never had to pay this surcharge because my orders were over $75. See this page: https://www.costco.ca/CanadaGroceryDeliveryRedirect

"No Costco Grocery Surcharge with orders of $75 or more before taxes and additional shipping and handling. An additional shipping and handling fee per unit will apply to shipments going to certain areas. The additional fee will be quoted at checkout."

Maybe you are in a "certain area"?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2300 posts
2175 upvotes
Laval, QC
alpovs wrote: I have been ordering Costco groceries every 3-4 weeks for the past year and a half and never had to pay this surcharge because my orders were over $75. See this page: https://www.costco.ca/CanadaGroceryDeliveryRedirect

"No Costco Grocery Surcharge with orders of $75 or more before taxes and additional shipping and handling. An additional shipping and handling fee per unit will apply to shipments going to certain areas. The additional fee will be quoted at checkout."

Maybe you are in a "certain area"?
I think the surcharge is due to the coupon code restricted for groceries
I order groceries regularly from Costco as well, no surcharge for $75 + order, but not the case when I was trying to apply the $50 coupon code
Not sure if that’s still the case for the offer this time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Karlmtl wrote: I think the surcharge is due to the coupon code restricted for groceries
I order groceries regularly from Costco as well, no surcharge for $75 + order, but not the case when I was trying to apply the $50 coupon code
Not sure if that’s still the case for the offer this time
That's certainly very strange. I am pretty sure if you had called Costco they would have resolved it.

I wonder how it worked. When you add items to your cart, once it's over $75 the surcharge disappears. Coupon is entered at the very end when the surcharge is not there. Did surcharges reappear after you entered the code?
Nov 7, 2007
869 posts
592 upvotes
Thanks OP. Agreed that there is mark-up on most items. But I needed to order something they don't carry instore for my kids. So I guess I kind of broke even with the voucher but got the item I needed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)