None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
13124 posts
16745 upvotes
Toronto

$500 instant credit - Walmart MC

Is this a scam? The email is [email protected].

Any reason not to take this card just for the $500 credit?
Last edited by sircheersa on Jun 26th, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
This is not a scam, but you don't get $500 as an account credit (I.e. free money).
When approved, you can "instant"-ly spend $500 on your Walmart account - but you have to pay it back when the bill arrives.
You do get $25 "Walmart dollars" for signing up.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9485 posts
10754 upvotes
The Prairies
You’re best to contact Walmart Bank and inquire on it’s legitimacy.
Don’t use any links that were in that email until you know it’s legit.
The “e” before walmart.ca is very suspicious to me.
Besides, it’s a Walmart card,, why would you even want it.?
Last edited by coolintheshade on Jun 26th, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 10, 2018
344 posts
197 upvotes
Obvious scam! Like pointed out previously the email address is an instant sign
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
949 upvotes
OP, just went direct to (not the link in the OP) & came out of the walmart canada financial website sub link 'walmart rewards mastercard' & its legit, however it could be a 'time sensitive offer'

under the legal/terms & conditions at the bottom of the linked page

" The use of the instant credit will be provided under a temporary shopping pass. Your shopping pass will automatically appear as a payment option when you check out and will be valid until 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) tonight. The temporary shopping pass will be limited to an approved amount as determined by Walmart Canada Bank. The granting of the temporary shopping pass shall be subject to the approval of your application. Your application may still be approved without the issuance of a temporary shopping pass"

folks can check it out

https://www.walmart.ca/en/financial-ser ... mastercard

is it a scam ... I have no idea
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1454 posts
284 upvotes
Renous
I think this is being misread. $500 instant credit is (from the way I read it), a temporary amount of credit until your application is processed.

∆ The use of the instant credit will be provided under a temporary shopping pass. Your shopping pass will automatically appear as a payment option when you check out and will be valid until 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) tonight. The temporary shopping pass will be limited to an approved amount as determined by Walmart Canada Bank. The granting of the temporary shopping pass shall be subject to the approval of your application. Your application may still be approved without the issuance of a temporary shopping pass.
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1528 upvotes
Tommycoupons wrote: Obvious scam! Like pointed out previously the email address is an instant sign
Not really, actually. If it was walmart.e.ca then yes... but domain authority works from right to left. If Walmart owns walmart.ca they control every sub-domain to the left of that.

So, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and of course... [email protected] are all legitimately owned by whomever owns walmart.ca.

Now, it IS possible that hackers could somehow have taken over Walmart's account with the domain registrar... but not very likely. I'd still question this though. $500 for a Walmart card seems kind of a high reward. There must be some kind of condition.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Oct 22, 2012
441 posts
803 upvotes
patpond wrote: I think this is being misread. $500 instant credit is (from the way I read it), a temporary amount of credit until your application is processed.

∆ The use of the instant credit will be provided under a temporary shopping pass. Your shopping pass will automatically appear as a payment option when you check out and will be valid until 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) tonight. The temporary shopping pass will be limited to an approved amount as determined by Walmart Canada Bank. The granting of the temporary shopping pass shall be subject to the approval of your application. Your application may still be approved without the issuance of a temporary shopping pass.
This is 100% correct.
The reward is $25 Walmart dollars.
No scam here, but no mind-blowing deal either. You can spend up to $500 on your Walmart credit card account BEFORE the card arrives, if you're approved under this offer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9485 posts
10754 upvotes
The Prairies
patpond wrote: I think this is being misread. $500 instant credit is (from the way I read it), a temporary amount of credit until your application is processed.
I went to the WalMart bank website, and this is correct.
To be more specific, you apply for the credit card via your online WalMart shopping account, and IF you are instantly approved for credit, a maximum of $500 will be instantly available to spend online at walmart.ca.
So if you get instantly approved for 2k, only $500 will be available to use right away, until you get the physical card.
That’s the way I understand it.

In any case, it’s a horrible card, and I would need a minimum of $100 signup bonus to even consider getting it (only to churn obviously).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9485 posts
10754 upvotes
The Prairies
Erumuh wrote: This is 100% correct.
The reward is $25 Walmart dollars.
No scam here, but no mind-blowing deal either. You can spend up to $500 on your Walmart credit card account BEFORE the card arrives, if you're approved under this offer.
+1
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3063 posts
2908 upvotes
Guelph
Unrelated but I wonder what will happen with the Walmart Mastercard when it’s acquired by that American company, maybe we’ll see some improvements to the card or more credit cards launched by a new credit card company (formed out of Walmart bank). Probably nothing will happen tho and the card will remain the same terrible thing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9485 posts
10754 upvotes
The Prairies
jacnel wrote: Unrelated but I wonder what will happen with the Walmart Mastercard when it’s acquired by that American company, maybe we’ll see some improvements to the card or more credit cards launched by a new credit card company (formed out of Walmart bank). Probably nothing will happen tho and the card will remain the same terrible thing.
Being acquired?
Do you have more info, or a link?
Jan 10, 2018
344 posts
197 upvotes
atomiton wrote: Not really, actually. If it was walmart.e.ca then yes... but domain authority works from right to left. If Walmart owns walmart.ca they control every sub-domain to the left of that.

So, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and of course... [email protected] are all legitimately owned by whomever owns walmart.ca.

Now, it IS possible that hackers could somehow have taken over Walmart's account with the domain registrar... but not very likely. I'd still question this though. $500 for a Walmart card seems kind of a high reward. There must be some kind of condition.
Good to know
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
atomiton wrote: Not really, actually. If it was walmart.e.ca then yes... but domain authority works from right to left. If Walmart owns walmart.ca they control every sub-domain to the left of that.

+1
Tommycoupons wrote: Good to know
Looking at the banner on their official site, seems obvious to me that the $500 is the CL. Up to $25 in rewards dollars.

"Credit" is what they're willing to loan you on spend. Obviously they'll have the details in their fine print.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
8756 posts
8493 upvotes
They really should offer the card in Quebec, it's stupid... everything associated with the card is already translated in French for New Brunswick and Franco Ontarians customers. I never knew there even was a Wal-Mart MasterCard until I started living in Ontario. Canadian Tire and Loblaws offer their card everywhere in the country.
Nov 16, 2013
418 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys for the insight. What is shitty deal. I thought they were giving away $500 free and I was wondering how the heck they could actually want to do that.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
n31290 wrote: Thanks guys for the insight. What is shitty deal. I thought they were giving away $500 free and I was wondering how the heck they could actually want to do that.
$500 is the rough equivalent to welcome bonuses on 2-3 premium cards, and minimum $2-3k minimum spend requirement.

Obviously lenders like WalMart MC will kickstart cardholders with small CL, even with instant approval. Just like CTFS will issue cards quickly, with CL starting at $100 Upside-down Face
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3063 posts
2908 upvotes
Guelph
titaniumtux wrote: $500 is the rough equivalent to welcome bonuses on 2-3 premium cards, and minimum $2-3k minimum spend requirement.

Obviously lenders like WalMart MC will kickstart cardholders with small CL, even with instant approval. Just like CTFS will issue cards quickly, with CL starting at $100 Upside-down Face
Imagine what you can do with $100!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9485 posts
10754 upvotes
The Prairies
jacnel wrote: Imagine what you can do with $100!
Max it out in 5 seconds flat!
Yeah, good times.... Grinning Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)