Is 5000 a hard credit limit

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 3:02 am
Nov 6, 2019
62 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa

Is 5000 a hard credit limit

Is 5000 the max credit limit for any credit card for temp worker? I was told 5000 is max credit limit for bank and for customer irrespective of number of cards .

Amex is an exception as they can look at US credit history and given me 15K. all other bank credit cards are limited to 5000.

Thanks
25 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
Rutils wrote: Is 5000 the max credit limit for any credit card for temp worker? I was told 5000 is max credit limit for bank and for customer irrespective of number of cards .

Amex is an exception as they can look at US credit history and given me 15K. all other bank credit cards are limited to 5000.

Thanks
For some credit cards 5K is the minimum but it may be different if you're not a permanent resident.
Nov 6, 2019
62 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
kenze wrote: For some credit cards 5K is the minimum but it may be different if you're not a permanent resident.
thanks, I am referring to credit cards like Visa infinite or WE mastercard whose min is 5000 for everyone and max is 5000 for temp workers if I understand correctly.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
Rutils wrote: Is 5000 the max credit limit for any credit card for temp worker? I was told 5000 is max credit limit for bank and for customer irrespective of number of cards .

Thanks
If you don’t give the institution your SIN they won’t know your not a PR/Citizen. It’s not mandatory on a credit card.
Nov 6, 2019
62 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
CanadianSpruce wrote: If you don’t give the institution your SIN they won’t know your not a PR/Citizen. It’s not mandatory on a credit card.
Good to know. I was offering the SIN so that they get confidence issuing the credit card.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote: If you don’t give the institution your SIN they won’t know your not a PR/Citizen. It’s not mandatory on a credit card.
But issuers require you to be a permanent resident. They ask you to confirm this before you proceed.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: But issuers require you to be a permanent resident. They ask you to confirm this before you proceed.
The vast majority of issuers don’t ask for proof of citizenship/permanent residence status.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote:
But issuers require you to be a permanent resident. They ask you to confirm this before you proceed.
CanadianSpruce wrote: The vast majority of issuers don’t ask for proof of citizenship/permanent residence status.
You two are talking same thing

They require but most don't need proof

Same for income requirements
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28618 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote: The vast majority of issuers don’t ask for proof of citizenship/permanent residence status.
They may not ask for proof, but they do ask you to declare it to be true.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: They may not ask for proof, but they do ask you to declare it to be true.
Most banks define a permanent resident as “ Permanent resident means a person who resides in Canada for at least six (6) months of the year. However, individuals otherwise eligible for coverage who are members of the Canadian Foreign Service need not satisfy this requirement.”
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3442 posts
2672 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It isn't mandatory to give the SIN for them to properly identify you BUT I'm sure that they probably have it after you've been approved for the credit card.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: It isn't mandatory to give the SIN for them to properly identify you BUT I'm sure that they probably have it after you've been approved for the credit card.
The credit reference agency will only disclose the last 4 digits of a SIN.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
CanadianSpruce wrote: I was giving the banks definition not the CIC definition.
Could you show me the link you got definition? I always thought it's the same

In TD Site, for newcomers program, it said
"Have been a Permanent Resident or Temporary Resident of Canada for 5 years or less"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
CanadianSpruce wrote: I was giving the banks definition not the CIC definition.
That is false.
Non perm residents will have a "9" SIN number and pose an extremely high risk in regards to lending principles.
I work for a Financial institution and perm res status is a major plateau for credit granting.
CanadianSpruce wrote: The credit reference agency will only disclose the last 4 digits of a SIN.
We see the full "9" SIN on non perm residents that apply for credit
9 SINS area usually denied credit immediately
Last edited by mikeymike1 on Sep 5th, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…

Thanks
The 5000k credit limit used to be the cusp between a FI's reg credit card to their gold card status card. (old school status)
For some card issuers it still may be.
Most of the FI's and card issuers use capacity ratios for initial limits nowadays.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: We see the full "9" SIN on non perm residents that apply for credit
9 SINS area usually denied credit immediately
That was not my experience when I was an underwriter, we’d only see the full sin if they disclosed it. If we pulled their credit report, at most we could see the last 4 digits.

With regards to PR, I was referring to the banks definition for actually being able to apply for the card, not the back end underwriting criteria.