• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 12:43 am
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1732 posts
529 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:21 pm
Yeah... Drink package, not a big deal... Most cruisers know that drinks are not usually included.

Price is the issue here... After flights, port fees, daily gratuity charges etc, these "deals" end up costing close to $3000 CAD for a 3-4 night cruise? Crazy expensive, balcony or not.

Our 7 night Bermuda cruise out of NJ earlier this year was $499+..... Inside cabin, but a balcony would have been ~100 more.
On Carnival, you can opt out on the daily gratuities of $12+ per person. You can give the amount you like or not at all to who deserve it more. Like the person who clean your room. The daily gratuities is a rip off.
Life is tough but so are you
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4949 posts
4091 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:44 pm
Lol $3000? I fly from Buffalo for around $100 to florida. Carnival sunshine 8 days last year for less than 700 inside cabin. There are hidden fee though with cruising i.e gratuities. I usually go to disney or universal while I am in Florida as well so it's like killing two birds with one stone.
Umm it's pretty close to $3000...

$700 US +port fees x2 people is already $2000 CAD... Flights, hotel, taxi, etc easily brings it up to $2500 CAD, even assuming $100 flights. Buffalo is a 10 hour drive for me so that ain't happening.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4949 posts
4091 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 4:22 pm
On Carnival, you can opt out on the daily gratuities of $12+ per person. You can give the amount you like or not at all to who deserve it more. Like the person who clean your room. The daily gratuities is a rip off.
Sure, but then again... you're on a Carnival cruise :(
Feb 27, 2009
696 posts
347 upvotes
With All cruise lines you can adjust gratuities,

As for carnival versus others, I have done celebrity, rcl, carnival, Norwegian.

Carnival had the most fun cruises and better beds then all of them.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4949 posts
4091 upvotes
yellman wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:46 pm
With All cruise lines you can adjust gratuities,

As for carnival versus others, I have done celebrity, rcl, carnival, Norwegian.

Carnival had the most fun cruises and better beds then all of them.
Not anymore. I don't know about others but both NCL and Celebrity do not allow adjusting the daily gratuities as of last year.

Cruising is very subjective. I find Carnival ships in general are party ships with younger crowds. Carnival also seems has the most nickle and diming with upcharges everywhere.

Out of the cruises I've been on, my favorites were the Disney Magic, the Celebrity Reflection and the Carribean Princess
Last edited by superfresh89 on Dec 12th, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4949 posts
4091 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 4:22 pm
I disagree. Daily gratuities, if the management does it properly, is better for the employees.

There are so many staff that you don't meet face-to-face, but contribute to your experience. When you tip your waiter... Do you think he shares it with his assistant, or any of the cooks or chefs? What about the stateroom attendant's assistant? The guy that cleans the toilets?

Only tipping the people that you interact with is super unfair to the hard workers at the bottom while rewarding the smooth talking servers and bartenders who are making bank.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3404 posts
119 upvotes
Richmond
Cruises go "on sale" all the time, so this price seems pretty normal, not a hot deal. The sweet spot is generally 7-day cruises or above, as the per-night cost of these shorter cruises is too high due to the port fees etc., especially if you factor in the flight and miscellaneous costs like cruise ship terminal transfers, staying an extra night before cruise etc. For the same total price you could end up doing a short trip to London or something instead which would be an arguably much more fulfilling vacation destination.

Also, as mentioned above, shorter Caribbean cruises are generally "party ships" full of rowdy people looking to get drunk. This may be desirable to some (vs. the generally dead-ish night life on most cruises due to the 65+ average age of travelers), but something to consider.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
7037 posts
2869 upvotes
Toronto
Might want to add 3 day cruise to title, I feel this is important.
Feb 27, 2009
696 posts
347 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:48 pm
Not anymore. I don't know about others but both NCL and Celebrity do not allow adjusting the daily gratuities as of last year.

Cruising is very subjective. I find Carnival ships in general are party ships with younger crowds. Carnival also seems has the most nickle and diming with upcharges everywhere.

Out of the cruises I've been on, my favorites were the Disney Magic, the Celebrity Reflection and the Carribean Princess

That is incorrect, I was on celebrity on October and adjusted tips.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4949 posts
4091 upvotes
yellman wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 6:19 pm
That is incorrect, I was on celebrity on October and adjusted tips.
Ahh that's right. It was NCL that did not allow us to adjust.

We decided to pay the daily gratuities and didn't ask to adjust on our last Celebrity cruise.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1732 posts
529 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 4:55 pm
Umm it's pretty close to $3000...

$700 US +port fees x2 people is already $2000 CAD... Flights, hotel, taxi, etc easily brings it up to $2500 CAD, even assuming $100 flights. Buffalo is a 10 hour drive for me so that ain't happening.
ok you are talking about 2 people. I thought it is for 1.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1732 posts
529 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:48 pm

NCL don't allow adjustment. All the other you mentioned are high end cruises and are more expensive so they won't nickle and diming since you already paid an expensive price. Carnival is a budget cruise. I've been on the NCL escape as well. Much better entertainment but cost alot more.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1732 posts
529 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:55 pm
I disagree. Daily gratuities, if the management does it properly, is better for the employees.

There are so many staff that you don't meet face-to-face, but contribute to your experience. When you tip your waiter... Do you think he shares it with his assistant, or any of the cooks or chefs? What about the stateroom attendant's assistant? The guy that cleans the toilets?

Only tipping the people that you interact with is super unfair to the hard workers at the bottom while rewarding the smooth talking servers and bartenders who are making bank.
What management does is probably give everyone the same amount which isn't necessarily fair neither.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10108 posts
1193 upvotes
Pingalino wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:06 pm
As an unseasoned cruise person I'm curious to know why the downvotes.
i would downvote it (i haven't yet) since none of those ships are "mega-ships"

That's like claiming your sat rec soccer game as "best team in the world"

FYI... i paid 299 for the same cruise last year.. (for April, but STILL)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1732 posts
529 upvotes
Mega ships lol. Sure they are. The smaller mega ships that is.